Topic: Sharks, fins, earsharks and what to TAG them with

I recently got into a discussion off-site about the merits of finding furry art featuring sharks. For the most part, this was concerning the prevalence of shark features themselves, and presentation of species.

Ears, no ears, head fins. All considerations in art and presentation that currently is not as much tagged in art on e621. However, these considerations for appearances are features that are specifically looked for, or avoided. With that in mind, various dragons on e621 can already be found by their distinguishing design features, such as ear fins, oriental aesthetics and the prevalence of multiple limbs or wing configurations. Eye colour is also a feature that is noted in many tagged submissions on e621.

Of course, I understand we don't go willy nilly about tagging pieces just like that, only to either have the changes be reverted without much cause, or worse, to have such editing be considered vandalism by a (new) user. Hence the thread!

Considerations:

• People like to look for artsmut without finding particular features in them,
  • Tagging without disparaging remarks: common rules, and earshark is already a disparaging term in some circles,
  • Tag what you see,
  • Tag with what is available, eliminating the need for new tags.

Suggestions:

• Use of the term ear_fins for sharks with noted ears or finned ears, see also spoiler block,
  • Use of the term head_fin for sharks with a cranial fin, see also spoiler block,
  • No use of the term ear_fins or head_fin for sharks without such noted ears or finned ears, or a cranial fin, allowing users to find such images by leaving the features specifically out of a search for sharks, see also spoiler block,

Solution:

• Instate the use of ear_fins and head_fin tags to designate shark designs for searches.

...Boy howdy that is a lot of words for something I obviously should not care so much about.

But yeah, ideas, suggestions, changes?

Updated by pixelPile