Advanced tag discussion: Mutually-exclusive Body Types/Styles (anthro, feral, human, humanoid, taur, 'semi-anthro' etc.)

In category: Tag/Wiki Projects and Questions

[Incomplete]

This forum is primarily for organizing all the relevant discussions about the body types on e621.

Quick citation/link:
forum #189471 - Advanced tag discussion: Mutually-exclusive Body Types/Styles (Apr. 2016)

Body Types wiki: Tag Group:Body Types

There's a tag group:body type wiki, which is very well-written, and I wonder how much of it is 'official'? Most - all of it (Apr. 2016) is official
(For the sake of clarity, can parasprite an Admin formally confirm that tag group:body types is official in here if they see this? Thanks)

Links to discussions taking place elsewhere

• forum #194231 - Types of anthroness. Let's make a working system! (May 2016)
  • forum #191425 - Not_Furry not used enough, Feral is over-broad and Anthro is vague (Apr. 2016)
  • forum #189453 - Tag Implication: humanized → alternate_species (Apr. 2016)

Major topics brought up so far: (Apr. 2016)

[WIP]

▼ Click to collapse
1. How many mutually-exclusive body style tags do we (officially) have?
▼ From the top of my head:

-

n. Semi-anthro discussion: Use, scope, considerations

--

n. Feral: Different art styles and levels of 'sapience'

---

n. Miscellaneous

Figuring out stuff like this is, imo, the first step to sorting all this out and related questions that may arise/have arisen because it's such an uncertain area

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Rating: Safe
Score: 251
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

titanmelon said:

1. How many mutually-exclusive body style tags do we (officially) have?

From the top of my head:

Chakat are taur, they're even implicated to it.

Others I've been curious about:

- Alien is ambiguous and usually tagged by outside knowledge. We'll probably have to disambiguate it sooner or later. And it's not mutually exclusive with anything except human. Most aliens are humanoid, but some are animal-like enough to be tagged as anthros. Such as some Krogans. There's also some taurs, etc. Not sure if there's any feral aliens.
- Monster is for creatures that look 'monstrous', regardless of the body type. It's under reconstruction, needs massive re-organization and cleaning. But for now, it's the best tag we have for various abominations (post #153313) that don't fit anywhere else.
- Animal_humanoid is a humanoid subtag.

There's a tag group:body type wiki, which is very well-written, and I wonder how much of it is 'official'?

Most of it, I hope, since I got an 'okay' from the administration for creating it. Though that was an early version and didn't include all the subcategories.

Hm, what about an aberration tag? For cases like post #153313 and most of meandraco's stuff

2015 alien ambiguous_gender ambiguous_penetration balls black_sclera blue_eyes carapace cloud cloudy coiling duo erection exoskeleton first_person_view grass hi_res human interspecies looking_at_viewer lying male mammal meandraco mist monster not_furry nude on_back on_ground outside penetration penis sex shallow_penetration tall_grass tentacle_tongue tentacles tight_fit tongue tower wet xenophilia

Rating: Explicit
Score: 59
User: chdgs
Date: June 09, 2015

Either as a replacement for monster, or a more specific subcategory for the more 'alien' types
(see my response about aliens below as well)

-
It's an official term as well:

Zoological definition [wiktionary]:

(zoology, botany) Atypical development or structure; deviation from the normal type; an aberrant organ. [Mid 19th century.][3]

-

However, since the definition is so broad, it may end up being synonymous with alien anyway, so idk:

• alien: non-human, extraterrestrial
  • aberration: any species that doesn't fit into the common, non-modifier body style types (anthro, feral, human, humanoid etc.)

Oh yeah, about the chakat/taur thing; changed

Taurs are [somethin] + feral though, which raises an interesting question:

Are hybrid types considered mutually exclusive for categorization purposes?

feral + * = taur is the only example that I can currently think of

It's somewhat obvious now that animal_humanoids are of the humanoid type too. Removed.
I have the feeling there may be more to it though, but it's consistent for present tagging purposes afaik anyway

As for aliens..hmm

You may be right about there being no standard definition, by the very nature of the term.
And more significantly with respect to mutually-exclusive types, since it's more or less a type modifier (anthro, humanoid, 'feral' aliens exist in media), it probably doesn't count here

Maybe the abovementioned aberration or similar for cases that don't fit into any of the pre established ones?

monster, aside from the pejorative implications, is also a type of modifier, like you said.
There are anthro monsters, feral ones, humanoid ones etc.

Do we consider the modifier types like flora_fauna, alien, goo etc. for mutually-exclusive body styles?

I'm guessing 'no'

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

titanmelon said:
Hm, what about an aberration tag? For cases like post #153313 and most of meandraco's stuff

2015 alien ambiguous_gender ambiguous_penetration balls black_sclera blue_eyes carapace cloud cloudy coiling duo erection exoskeleton first_person_view grass hi_res human interspecies looking_at_viewer lying male mammal meandraco mist monster not_furry nude on_back on_ground outside penetration penis sex shallow_penetration tall_grass tentacle_tongue tentacles tight_fit tongue tower wet xenophilia

Score: 59
User: chdgs
Date: June 09, 2015

Either as a replacement for monster, or a more specific subcategory for the more 'alien' types

The current plan was to either unalias abomination from monster, or to flip it around so abomination is the new main tag. But aberration would work equally well. Not sure which one I'd prefer.

Are hybrid types considered mutually exclusive for categorization purposes?

Yes. The main types (first five in the wiki) are exclusive. Only one should be tagged per character, with the special exception of mid-transformation posts.

Those are also the only tags used with the *_on_* format (feral_on_taur, human_on_humanoid, etc), because the other categories aren't exclusive.

Do we consider the modifier types like flora_fauna, alien, goo etc. for mutually-exclusive body styles?

I'm guessing 'no'

No. Those are modifiers that can be combined with any type, except human. Some characters may need several. Such as undead goo humanoid.

2mi127 alternate_universe animated_skeleton bone clothed clothing digital_media_(artwork) front_view full-length_portrait gaster goo_creature hi_res humanoid male melting not_furry outertale portrait simple_background skeleton smile solo star turtleneck undead undertale video_games

Score: 6
User: Pyrocynical_-Fake-
Date: January 31, 2016

[reply pending, all that seems to makes sense]

▼ @Genjar

Genjar said:
The current plan was to either unalias abomination from monster, or to flip it around so abomination is the new main tag. But aberration would work equally well. Not sure which one I'd prefer.

Yeah, I'll start a dedicated forum for that, since we seem to be discussion this in various places already. Seems to need more discussion for the time being
-

Yes. The main types (first five in the wiki) are exclusive. Only one should be tagged per character, with the special exception of mid-transformation posts.

Sounds consistent enough to not over-complicate tagging, I like that
Will add mention of this to the OP

Those are also the only tags used with the *_on_* format (feral_on_taur, human_on_humanoid, etc), because the other categories aren't exclusive.

Makes sense (more to say about that later)
-

No. Those are modifiers that can be combined with any type, except human. Some characters may need several. Such as undead goo humanoid.

Also makes sense, and will be added to OP

Is this a type of species thing?

3rd_party_watermark ambiguous_gender blonde_hair doll frown grass hair human jon_beinart leaf low_res mammal multi_arm multi_limb nightmare_fuel not_furry nude open_mouth outside raised_arm short_hair solo toy url watermark what what_has_science_done

Rating: Questionable
Score: 16
User: cjkrythos
Date: June 20, 2012

reminds me of the boobipede tag

Also, if anyone has a better idea for the semi-anthro tag,

Such as a less ambiguous name or definition,

then here's the place you could mention it.

-

Some main points raised from what I can recall:

+ The purpose of the tag definitely has some uses, since art styles and intent are so variable

What one person may see as closer to anthro, may be closer to feral for some. Which is still consistent with TWYS, but may result in 'miscategorization' of the body type

- It's also for that same reason, the tag name itself should be less ambiguous.

I don't really see a problem with the ambiguity here, since it's already understood the tag is to be used for ambiguous cases
-

@Genjar had the most to say about this, maybe they can explain about it better

-

Also related about this is forum #187706 - Advanced Policy Discussions: Implicative/Conjunctive/Redundant/Mutually-exclusive tag usage (Mar. 2016)

Especially 4. Mutually-exclusive tag usage

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago

titanmelon said:
Also, if anyone has a better idea for the semi-anthro tag,

Such as a less ambiguous name or definition,

then here's the place you could mention it.

Definitely needs a better name if it must be kept.
Here's a few posts that are currently tagged as 'semi-anthro':

2015 alternate_species animal_humanoid areola big_breasts breasts equestria_girls erect_nipples female fluttershy_(mlp) friendship_is_magic group hi_res horn huge_breasts human humanized humanoid mammal my_little_pony nipples rarity_(mlp) semi-anthro steam sundown_(artist) sunset_shimmer_(eg)

Score: 15
User: Robinebra
Date: November 09, 2015 2015 alternate_species animal_humanoid areola arthropod big_breasts blue_eyes breasts camel_toe clothing cutie_mark equine equine_humanoid female flower fluttershy_(mlp) friendship_is_magic hair hi_res holding_breast humanoid humanoidized insect legwear mammal my_little_pony nipples outside panties pink_hair plant rainbowscreen sitting socks solo stockings thong underwear

Score: 55
User: 2DUK
Date: May 01, 2015 anthro areola big_breasts big_butt big_nipples big_penis big_tail breasts butt cape clothing cum cum_on_back erection exhibitionism eyes_closed eyewear female gammanaut glasses green_skin group hot_dogging huge_breasts huge_butt huge_tail human human_on_anthro humanoid humanoid_penis interspecies larger_female lying male mammal nintendo nipples on_front open_mouth orgasm orgasm_face outside overweight overweight_female penis pokémon pokémon_(species) pokémorph poképhilia reptile scalie semi-anthro serperior size_difference smaller_male smile snake video_games yumi_leaf

Score: 19
User: MickNasty
Date: February 21, 2016 2014 <3 anthro bandanna blush canine collar cute digital_media_(artwork) duo female fox fur grey_fur grey_hair hair hi_res hug male mammal ruki_(character) rukifox semi-anthro size_difference wolf

Score: 18
User: TonyLemur
Date: July 09, 2014 4_breasts alien anthro breasts child duo female mammal multi_breast nude raxt0r semi-anthro tyraeli yellow_eyes young

Score: 5
User: SilkywereRedux
Date: July 13, 2013 all_fours ass_up black_border black_fur black_nose black_panther border breasts busty_feral butt claws cosmiclife crawling feline female feral fur green_eyes grey_background hi_res jaguar looking_at_viewer mammal nipples open_mouth panther pinup pose prowling raised_tail seductive semi-anthro simple_background small_breasts solo stalking teeth toe_claws whiskers

Score: 22
User: CosmicLife
Date: February 25, 2016 2015 abstract_background absurd_res alternate_species blue_eyes bracelet clothed clothing equine female friendship_is_magic hair hand_behind_head hi_res horn humanoid humanoidized jewelry long_hair mammal my_little_pony one-piece_swimsuit purple_hair rarity_(mlp) semi-anthro simple_background solo swimsuit tongue white_skin xdtopsu01

Score: 19
User: lemongrab
Date: May 20, 2015 2014 anthro blush boltswift breasts clothing equine fan_character feathered_wings feathers female fur golden_ticket hair horn legwear long_hair mammal my_little_pony necktie nipples pussy semi-anthro skirt solo spread_legs spreading thigh_highs winged_unicorn wings yellow_fur

User: lemongrab
Date: November 12, 2014
Deleted: Inferior version/duplicate of post #1253306

Like I've said before, it's not something that can be accurately defined. 'Borderline anthro' is extremely subjective, and there's no single feature that can be used to define it.

I don't think it'll ever be a viable tag.

Hmm, yeah that would be a problem

Rather than nuking it though, I think the tag in somse form is worthwhile enough to keep for ambiguous cases

(unless we tag separate multiple body types per character (like anthro + feral),
But none of those results are guaranteed to have a 'semi-anthro' character in them, and to my knowledge, there's no way to narrow that down

-

(least → most feral)

1. Human - 100% human, no anthropomorphism

1a. humanoid - humanoid shape, anatomy, proportions, - Little anthropomorphism

2. Anthro - fur, tail, less-human skull shape, - High anthropomorphism

2b. 'semi-anthro' - between anthro and feral (see wiki)

3. Feral - no trace of anthropomorphic qualities - No anthropomorphism*

Other - ???

-----------

*- I've noticed that two main types of ferals get put into this category:

• i. Looks like a real animal, but with some 'humanised' qualities, especially facial expressions with the eyes and mouth. Closer to feral Disney animal characters
  • Borderline cases of both - post #324432, post #241795
  • (canines are physically capable of making those expressions, but they're unlikely to happen)

--

(Also agree with you about the subjectivity of lists like these as well, which is why there needs to be discrete, observable differences for each category on the whole, if we're aiming to avoid 'mislabelling')

Very related:

animal_humanoid anthro anthro_scale bi-nyo blue_eyes blush bow brown_hair brown_nose canine chart chest_tuft clothed clothing comparison countershading female feral footwear fox fox_humanoid fox_tail fur hair humanoid japanese_text kemono legwear looking_at_viewer mammal nude open_mouth options orange_fur ribbons school_uniform semi-anthro shoes short_hair single_shoe skirt smile socks solo standing text transformation translated tuft uniform young

Score: 40
User: msc
Date: August 07, 2010

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago

titanmelon said:
Rather than nuking it though, I think the tag in somse form is worthwhile enough to keep for ambiguous cases

Truly ambiguous ones are rare, though. Almost everything that's currently tagged as semi-anthro can be fit into the main categories. The rest? Well, someone suggested an ambiguous_form tag, which seems like a good idea. 'course, that would be tagged for all characters that cannot be pigeonholed somewhere, not just borderline anthro/ferals.

1a. humanoid - humanoid shape, anatomy, proportions, - Little anthropomorphism

Anthropomorphism means giving non-humans human features. Most humanoids are not anthromorphic at all: there's no base creature that has been made more human-like. Except for some humanoidized characters (and things, such as planes).

Animal humanoids are usually considered to be the opposite: a form of zoomorphism, humans with animal features. But if they were to be considered anthropomorphic...

animal_humanoid anthro anthro_scale bi-nyo blue_eyes blush bow brown_hair brown_nose canine chart chest_tuft clothed clothing comparison countershading female feral footwear fox fox_humanoid fox_tail fur hair humanoid japanese_text kemono legwear looking_at_viewer mammal nude open_mouth options orange_fur ribbons school_uniform semi-anthro shoes short_hair single_shoe skirt smile socks solo standing text transformation translated tuft uniform young

Score: 40
User: msc
Date: August 07, 2010

...the fox on the right side is not anthropomorphized at all, while the animal_humanoid on left is extremely anthropomorphic.

*- I've noticed that two main types of ferals get put into this category:

• i. Looks like a real animal, but with some 'humanised' qualities, especially facial expressions with the eyes and mouth. Closer to feral Disney animal characters
  • Borderline cases of both - post #324432, post #241795
  • (canines are physically capable of making those expressions, but they're unlikely to happen)

I honestly don't see much difference between those. Feral is feral, regardless of the art style.

post #241795 is tagged feral because of the hummingbird. The canines are clearly anthro (handlike paws, bipedal posture).

Those are good points, especially since 'anthro' is already so broad/ambiguous of a term as well to begin with.

-

Mention of how few actual cases of semi-anthro exist in comparison with anthro/feral
▼ Click to collapse

Genjar said:
Truly ambiguous ones are rare, though.

Agreed, what I'm worried about here is people using semi-anthro as an excuse to not properly identify the form, provided it can be categorized more specifically

-

Mention of 'incorrect'/unclear usage of semi-anthro in relation to the main, mutually-exclusive categories
▼ Click to collapse

Almost everything that's currently tagged as semi-anthro can be fit into the main categories.

Got more to say about this, could you link some examples?

-

ambiguous_form and semi-anthro in relation to anthro/feral
▼ Click to collapse

The rest? Well, someone suggested an ambiguous_form tag, which seems like a good idea. 'course, that would be tagged for all characters that cannot be pigeonholed somewhere, not just borderline anthro/ferals.

Hm,

Do you think ambiguous_form would help people find stuff better than semi-anthro? (at least for the feral-anthro body type ambiguity)

That's my main concern with tags like these

If we used ambiguous_form, then that could mean basically anything, by the very definition of the tag.

semi-anthro is at least less vague than that, which narrows between two body styles

A better name not withstanding, people can search for semi-anthro, and be fairly certain they'd know the kind of results they'd find

-

'Anthropomorphism'/'anthro'; Mention of humanoidized
▼ Click to collapse

Anthropomorphism means giving non-humans human features. Most humanoids are not anthromorphic at all: there's no base creature that has been made more human-like. Except for some humanoidized characters (and things, such as planes).

This is a good point.
That's one of the things that should probably addressed somewhere, if it hasn't already:

The definition of 'anthro', compared to 'anthropomorphic'

This is also related to the perceived 'furry'/'not furry' dichotomy as well

-

Mention of zoomorphism; relation with anthropomorphism
▼ Click to collapse

Animal humanoids are usually considered to be the opposite: a form of zoomorphism, humans with animal features instead of animals that are almost fully human.

Yess, that's the term, zoomorphism

What we could do, re: the semi-anthro thing, is maybe find a way to define the tag, and probably similar, in terms of:

• ??? (other)

-

Ferals: different art styles & considerations
▼ Click to collapse

I honestly don't see much difference between those. Feral is feral, regardless of the art style.

post #241795 is tagged feral because of the hummingbird. The canines are clearly anthro (handlike paws, bipedal posture).

Yeah, I'd guess that's why they're all under the same feral tag.

For most people unfamiliar with the style/feral physiology, it's hard, if not impossible to consciously discern between 'realistic' feral expressions/anatomy, and those closer to the anthropomorphic side.

If someone's primary familiarity with animal physiology comes from talking animal animated family films- whose characters need to be given 'human' expressions and reactions for film-reasons- then I'm not too surprised if the difference seems inconsequential to non-existent

-
Like I said in the not furry forum discussion, unless more people who use the site, and are familiar with this sort of thing speak up about it, then it's very likely such borderline cases are gonna get thrown into the general ones and lost until someone speaks up again in the future. (if at all)

Until/if that planned feature about being able to 'group' tags on a character happens,

This is why I suggested we could use multiple categories in ambiguous cases, so we don't need to create a tag for it, while still having a way (though less efficient) to find such content;

e.g. let's say post #351800 gets tagged with anthro and feral, rather than semi-anthro

Someone searches for

anthro feral

They have a (relatively) higher chance of finding it than if they had to go through all the anthro posts (450 000+ worst case), plus the feral posts (130 000+ worst case)

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago

titanmelon said:
The definition of 'anthro', compared to 'anthropomorphic'

It's a short for an 'anthropormophic animal'. Which is quite a mouthful, so it's no wonder that the fandom shortened it.

The anthro wiki entry might need some work. It seems a bit too wordy at the moment: it only gets to the actual usage of the tag in the last sentence of the first paragraph. If I have time, I'll see if I can re-order it a bit.

If someone's primary familiarity with animal physiology comes from talking animal animated family films- whose characters need to be given 'human' expressions and reactions for film-reasons- then I'm not too surprised if the difference seems inconsequential to non-existent

I suppose we could consider adding a feral subtag for 'realistic ferals' (100% anatomically correct, no hints of anthropomorphism at all). But while it would be easy to tag for real-life animals, I can see several problems with tagging fictional and mythological ferals, such as dragons...

[reply pending]

rather minor detail, but notice the sclera in 2016 4:3 bear cub feral iceberg mammal polar_bear simple_background sketch solo white_background young

User: JayGib
Date: March 04, 2016 with the one in 2014 after_sex animal_genitalia animal_penis animal_pussy anus balls bear black_fur black_nose brown_fur canine canine_penis claws cum cum_in_ass cum_in_pussy cum_inside cum_on_anus cum_on_ground cum_string detailed_background digital_media_(artwork) digitigrade dog dripping erection eyebrows eyelashes female feral feral_on_feral forest foursome fur gangbang group group_sex half-closed_eyes husky interspecies knot knot_lick larger_female licking lonbluewolf looking_down lying male male/female mammal on_back open_mouth oral outside pawpads paws penetration penis penis_lick polar_bear pussy sex size_difference small_dom_big_sub smaller_male snow teeth toe_claws tongue tongue_out tree vaginal vaginal_penetration white_fur wolf wolf_pack yellow_eyes

Score: 48
User: Finchmaster
Date: February 01, 2014

Most 'real' feral animals' eyes are positioned in such a way that the whites of their eyes i.e white_sclera aren't visible most of the time

It's a minor detail, but it makes a large difference between the feral types I outlined above

If you just read that, now you can't unsee it in media. Sorry!

titanmelon said:
[reply pending]

rather minor detail, but notice the sclera in 2016 4:3 bear cub feral iceberg mammal polar_bear simple_background sketch solo white_background young

User: JayGib
Date: March 04, 2016 with the one in 2014 after_sex animal_genitalia animal_penis animal_pussy anus balls bear black_fur black_nose brown_fur canine canine_penis claws cum cum_in_ass cum_in_pussy cum_inside cum_on_anus cum_on_ground cum_string detailed_background digital_media_(artwork) digitigrade dog dripping erection eyebrows eyelashes female feral feral_on_feral forest foursome fur gangbang group group_sex half-closed_eyes husky interspecies knot knot_lick larger_female licking lonbluewolf looking_down lying male male/female mammal on_back open_mouth oral outside pawpads paws penetration penis penis_lick polar_bear pussy sex size_difference small_dom_big_sub smaller_male snow teeth toe_claws tongue tongue_out tree vaginal vaginal_penetration white_fur wolf wolf_pack yellow_eyes

Score: 48
User: Finchmaster
Date: February 01, 2014

Most 'real' feral animals' eyes are positioned in such a way that the whites of their eyes i.e white_sclera aren't visible most of the time

It's a minor detail, but it makes a large difference between the feral types I outlined above

If you just read that, now you can't unsee it in media. Sorry!

Eh, that's not enough to qualify as not being feral, imo. Most animals don't even have visible irises, as that would give away where they're looking, instead it looks like it's pure pupil.

Furrin_Gok said:
Eh, that's not enough to qualify as not being feral, imo.

Never said it was :v

More along the lines of 'there are different types of feral art styles'

Most animals don't even have visible irises, as that would give away where they're looking, instead it looks like it's pure pupil.

Agreed, especially since that depends on the level of technical competency

see https://e621.net/forum/show/190012

--

Even with all that, unless there are others who want to differentiate these different levels of feral 'sapience', I'm not really up for having to regularly disambiguate the different types there are, links pending

Unless maybe we tag multiple categories of the relevant tag (see
forum #187706)

But even then, what's the point of doing that with only 2 hypothetical feral categories?

-
At least not now anyway. If someone else brings it up again, then maybe, but for now, one distinct body type tag for the above seems fine with most [citation needed]

Note: There aren't much 'real anthro' examples of this character, may do one of these with renamon instead later on-
-

▼ Long explanation

Another example of 'semi-anthro' style

2016 <3 anthro bailey1rox blue_sclera canine claws female fox fur half-closed_eyes hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws mammal nude pink_claws pink_nose purple_fur semi-anthro simple_background slit_pupils smile solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur wide_hips yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Score: 1
User: GameManiac
Date: April 12, 2016

Not as 'anthro' (in the human sense, not zoomorphic sense), as ones like 2016 anthro bailey1rox beverage_can blue_markings blue_sclera canine clothed clothing cloud crossgender cup duo ear_piercing facial_markings female fence fox fur green_scales hair half-closed_eyes hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) lizard long_hair male mammal markings multi_tail multicolored_fur one_eye_closed open_mouth orange_hair outside piercing pink_nose purple_fur purple_markings reptile roughraff scales scalie school_uniform shorts sky straw suit teeth tongue tongue_out uniform video_games white_fur wink yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 - note humanoid legs, hips, waist, arms/forearms, wrist, fingers

compare with 2015 black_sclera blue_markings canine claws crossed_arms digitigrade facial_markings featureless_crotch feral fox fur kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws male mammal markings nude pink_nose portugueselynx purple_claws purple_fur red_markings simple_background slit_pupils smile solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur yellow_background yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Score: 4

Much closer zoomorphically to feral, than the above

-

2015 ambiguous_gender anthro black_sclera blue_markings canine claws facial_markings fire fox fur hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws looking_at_viewer mammal markings multi_tail multicolored_fur nude pink_claws purple_fur red_markings semi-anthro side_view simple_background slit_pupils smile solarbyte solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 seems to be much closer to 'anthro' than feral to me, but not to the same extent as ones like 2015 anthro blue_sclera breasts canine chest_tuft crossgender digital_media_(artwork) female fox fur kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) mammal multi_tail navel nude purple_fur sitting solo tailzkim tuft video_games yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Score: 10
Date: February 23, 2015 and absurd_res anthro canine fox fur hi_res kemono korean kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) male mammal solo tailzkim video_games yellow_eyes yo-kai_watch

Score: 9
User: voldosbt
Date: April 10, 2015

(note the differences of humanoid hands + hind-paws in both, with breasts in the first, and a flatter torso in the second)

-

Arguably, there's a high probability someone (who perhaps isn't as aware of the subtle differences) would say everything sans the feral (or maybe even that one too) are just anthro, and tag them as such

Which isn't wrong at all, because the definition and scope for the term 'anthro' is so wide/broad.
It would be silly to blame someone for 'miscategorization'

What I am proposing however, is tagging the ambiguous cases like these with multiple body types

Perhaps, in addition to 'semi-anthro' or whatever the new name is. (see my explanations + links above for why just having separate anthro+feral tags would be a bit infeasible in this case [tl;dr the tags are too huge])

-

So with that in mind,

• 1. Cases like 2016 <3 anthro bailey1rox blue_sclera canine claws female fox fur half-closed_eyes hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws mammal nude pink_claws pink_nose purple_fur semi-anthro simple_background slit_pupils smile solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur wide_hips yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 2015 ambiguous_gender anthro black_sclera blue_markings canine claws facial_markings fire fox fur hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws looking_at_viewer mammal markings multi_tail multicolored_fur nude pink_claws purple_fur red_markings semi-anthro side_view simple_background slit_pupils smile solarbyte solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 absurd_res anthro canine fox fur hi_res kemono korean kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) male mammal solo tailzkim video_games yellow_eyes yo-kai_watch

Date: April 10, 2015 would be the ones to definitely get the semi-anthro tag from me, in addition to feral + anthro
  • 2. while ones like 2016 anthro bailey1rox beverage_can blue_markings blue_sclera canine clothed clothing cloud crossgender cup duo ear_piercing facial_markings female fence fox fur green_scales hair half-closed_eyes hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) lizard long_hair male mammal markings multi_tail multicolored_fur one_eye_closed open_mouth orange_hair outside piercing pink_nose purple_fur purple_markings reptile roughraff scales scalie school_uniform shorts sky straw suit teeth tongue tongue_out uniform video_games white_fur wink yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 2015 anthro blue_sclera breasts canine chest_tuft crossgender digital_media_(artwork) female fox fur kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) mammal multi_tail navel nude purple_fur sitting solo tailzkim tuft video_games yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: February 23, 2015 would get just anthro
  • 3. And ones like 2015 black_sclera blue_markings canine claws crossed_arms digitigrade facial_markings featureless_crotch feral fox fur kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws male mammal markings nude pink_nose portugueselynx purple_claws purple_fur red_markings simple_background slit_pupils smile solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur yellow_background yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 would just get feral

Think it would break anything?

• Added "'semi-anthro'" to title
Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago

• titanmelon said:
    • 1. Cases like 2016 <3 anthro bailey1rox blue_sclera canine claws female fox fur half-closed_eyes hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws mammal nude pink_claws pink_nose purple_fur semi-anthro simple_background slit_pupils smile solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur wide_hips yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 2015 ambiguous_gender anthro black_sclera blue_markings canine claws facial_markings fire fox fur hi_res kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws looking_at_viewer mammal markings multi_tail multicolored_fur nude pink_claws purple_fur red_markings semi-anthro side_view simple_background slit_pupils smile solarbyte solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 absurd_res anthro canine fox fur hi_res kemono korean kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) male mammal solo tailzkim video_games yellow_eyes yo-kai_watch

Date: April 10, 2015 would be the ones to definitely get the semi-anthro tag from me, in addition to feral + anthro

Nothing ambiguous about those. This is a feral fox:
    4_toes ambiguous_gender black_fur black_lips black_nose brown_eyes canine day digitigrade feral fox fur grass hindpaw inner_ear_fluff long_mouth looking_at_viewer mammal markings no_sclera orange_fur outside pawpads paws photo real red_fox sitting slit_pupils snout socks_(marking) solo stare toes unknown_artist whiskers white_fur

Score: 24
User: ThatPurpleFox
Date: September 15, 2012

Whereas those clearly aren't, so it'd make no sense at all to tag them as such. Especially since those are closer to the origin of the term 'anthropomorphic animals' than the second group.

parasprite
    Former Staff
    1 year ago
    blue_eyes cutie_mark digital_media_(artwork) duo ear_tuft english_text equine eshredder feathered_wings feathers female feral fluttershy_(mlp) friendship_is_magic fur hair inner_ear_fluff long_hair looking_at_viewer mammal my_little_pony parasprite_(mlp) pegasus pink_hair simple_background smile solo_focus text tongue tongue_out tuft wings yellow_feathers yellow_fur

Score: 34
User: Fluttershy
Date: April 15, 2013

Yeah those are all pretty clearcut anthro to me.

Semi-anthro was more meant for cases like this:

animal_genitalia animal_pussy anus armpit_hair audience big_butt blue_feathers blue_skin butt clothing digital_media_(artwork) equine equine_pussy feathered_wings feathers female feral friendship_is_magic full-length_portrait group hair hi_res legwear looking_at_viewer mammal mirror multicolored_hair multicolored_tail my_little_pony navel nipples pegasus portrait pregnant pubes pussy rainbow_dash_(mlp) raised_tail red_eyes rhk semi-anthro silhouette slightly_chubby solo_focus spread_legs spreading stockings tail_wraps teats tongue tongue_out wings wraps

User: ethan95326
Date: March 07, 2016 2015 4:3 belly big_belly blue_eyes blue_feathers clothing color_edit colored cub dj-pon5 earth_pony edit equine feathered_wings feathers featureless_crotch female feral friendship_is_magic frown group hair hair_bun horse legs_up lying mammal my_little_pony nude nurse_redheart_(mlp) on_back open_mouth panties pegasus pony pregnant purple_eyes rainbow_dash_(mlp) scootaloo_(mlp) semi-anthro spread_legs spreading surprise tg-0 unbirthing underhoof underwear vore wings young

Score: 8
User: LunarEclipsed
Date: March 07, 2016

Where otherwise feral body types are mixed in with very human features. Note the armpit/armpit hair and angle of the arms on the left, and the awkward standing position with hips and panties on the right.

Tanidareal is another example of this (though I'd probably tag most of those as feral and be done with it):

2014 anthro bandanna blue_eyes briefcase canine claws conditional_dnp feral fox fur hindpaw male mammal orange_fur pawpads paws solo tablet tani_da_real toe_claws whiskers white_fur

Score: 7
Date: May 31, 2014 2013 ambiguous_gender avian bird black_nose blue_eyes canine cast chicken conditional_dnp crutch cute death detailed_background eyes_closed feral forest fox group mammal nature outside smile tani_da_real tree wounded

Score: 27
Date: June 21, 2013

(There was a really long post that's supposed to be here, but maybe later)
    -

This is exactly what I'm talking about:

Everyone has a different definition for semi-anthro, because there is currently no standard definition for anthro in the first place
    (and feral to a much lesser extent)

Both on and off the site

If we try to objectively tag subjective body types, at least one person is going to be 'wrong' about something, which never ends well for anyone involved

-
    So, with that said, we have a couple of options here, with some overlap:

▼ 1. From what I'm understanding, these are the current proposals:
    • Keep anthro and feral separate
    • Invalidate semi-anthro
      • Try to fit all the ambiguous cases into either anthro or feral
    • Continue to group all the 'realistic feral' post examples I mentioned above together with parasprite's semi-anthro examples (feral body type + minor human qualities/context/expressions)

-

▼ 2. Or, we could try:
    • Use anthro and feral for cases where they can said to be unambiguously anthro or feral
    • keep semi-anthro for cases where there the ratio of anthropomorphism : zoomorphism is relatively even (maybe within 50% of either, +/- 10%)
      • But still tag the posts with anthro or feral, whichever ones are more relevant (anthro for my semi-anthro examples, feral for parasprite's
    • Use a different tag (realistic_feral_bodytype?) for 'completely realistic ferals', such as the fox in Genjar's example

This way, we can have the following:

▼ Click to collapse
    • feral and anthro are both still used for the most discrete cases (pretty much exactly how it's used now, and according to the body types wiki
    • semi-feral can be used as an intermediatary tag between anthro and feral without , since the styles overlap so much in some cases
    • with the realistic_feral_bodytype tag or whatever it'd be called, the '100% realistic feral depictions' don't get lost within the more cartoony/humanised feral depictions
    • If people can tag feral and/or anthro on the semi-anthro posts, someone can do a search for feral, and still find the more feral semi-anthro posts, do a search for anthro, still find the more anthro posts, and do a search for realistic_feral_bodytype and find exactly what they want
    • Even if we assume every single post on the site is tagged appropriately using mutually-exclusive body types only as suggested in 1., then:
      • anything in semi-anthro tagged anthro cannot be found with a search for feral, and
      • anything tagged feral couldn't be found with a search for anthro, despite having overlapping body style qualities
    • people with feral/anthro blacklisted are still going to see the more feral/anthro semi-anthro examples, since they were tagged with either anthro or feral, but nothing in between or both.

What are we going to tell them if/when they complain? Use the blacklist that doesn't work as intended? Anthro already has 450 000+ posts, and feral has 130 000+. Not even counting the ones not identified at all

Is it really that preposterous to believe there are going to be some overlap between the two, most common body types on the site?
    And that trying to fit them in only one of the categories, rather than acknowledging that overlap and trying to account for it, doesn't make sense?

This is why I'm thinking about using semi-anthro as a sort of sub-tag, not necessarily a separate body type altogether, but not a 'supplementary' tag either

We wouln't have to rely on people to tag it, because anthro and feral are still the main ones for zoomorphism/anthropomorphism

Examples from the tag group:body types wiki for Anthro:

2012 absurd_res anthro black_nose blue_eyes butt canine claws detailed digital_media_(artwork) digitigrade fur grey_fur grey_theme hi_res khyaber looking_back male mammal nude rear_view solo standing toe_claws wolf

Score: 32
User: Strongbird
Date: March 28, 2016 2012 anthro anthrofied bandage blue_eyes clothing digital_media_(artwork) dragon duo equine eyewear female friendship_is_magic green_eyes hair hi_res horn long_hair male mammal my_little_pony one_eye_closed purple_hair rarity_(mlp) scalie scar simple_background smile spike_(mlp) sssonic2 sunglasses unicorn white_background wink

Score: 38
User: ultragamer89
Date: April 13, 2012

Are these the same body type? Why?

---

Examples from the tag group:body types wiki for Feral:

2012 amazing black_nose breath_weapon canine curled_horns digital_media_(artwork) drooling falvie feral fire fire_breathing fur grey_fur horn houndoom lava male mammal nintendo open_mouth pokémon pokémon_(species) red_eyes saliva slit_pupils snout solo video_games

Score: 104
User: slyroon
Date: April 21, 2012 2013 adlynh beverage butt curly_hair cutie_mark equine eyewear female feral food friendship_is_magic fur glasses hair horn looking_at_viewer mammal my_little_pony outside pinup pose purple_hair rarity_(mlp) smile solo swimming_pool unicorn water wet white_fur

Score: 80
User: Egekilde
Date: October 05, 2013

Compare with

2015 black_sclera blue_markings canine claws crossed_arms digitigrade facial_markings featureless_crotch feral fox fur kyubi_(yo-kai_watch) long_claws male mammal markings nude pink_nose portugueselynx purple_claws purple_fur red_markings simple_background slit_pupils smile solo toe_claws tuft video_games white_background white_fur yellow_background yellow_eyes yellow_fur yo-kai_watch

Date: April 12, 2016 and 4_toes ambiguous_gender black_fur black_lips black_nose brown_eyes canine day digitigrade feral fox fur grass hindpaw inner_ear_fluff long_mouth looking_at_viewer mammal markings no_sclera orange_fur outside pawpads paws photo real red_fox sitting slit_pupils snout socks_(marking) solo stare toes unknown_artist whiskers white_fur

Score: 24
User: ThatPurpleFox
Date: September 15, 2012

Are these the same body type? Why?

---

This doesn't even begin to address the overlap between taur as well,

The only thing formally gets tagged as taur are human top + feral bottom halves

There is no unifying tag except for semi-anthro, to my knowledge, that accurately captures the idea or anthropomorphic characters with a balance of feral and humanoid traits

▼ To summarize:
    • anthro - Closer to anthropomorphism than zoomorphism - 50-75% or more anthropomorphism
    • 'semi-anthro' - Ambiguous cases that don't strongly lean towards anthropomorphism nor zoomorphism - 40-60% anthropomorphism
    • can additionally be tagged as either feral or anthro, depending on how close to one of the 2 body types the character is
    • feral - Closer to zoomorphism than anthropomorphism - 25-50% or less anthropomorphism
      • no longer limited to '100% realistic ferals'
        • no need to change anything about this, since it's currently used for both realistic and less realistic ones anyway
    • realistic_feral_bodytype - post #248379 - 'NO' anthropomorphism - less than 1-5% anthropomorphism*

-

• *Human beings sometime unconsciously 'humanise' non-human objects/animals, so I think it's safe to say that having a category for 100% feral art with 0% human traits is a rather tall order. Not even getting into what it'd take to keep that pruned
    Clawdragons
    Privileged
    1 year ago
    armor blue_eyes blush breath claws cowgirl_position drooling duo edit erection faceless_male female feral first_person_view hi_res interspecies kajinchu looking_at_viewer male male/female male_penetrating male_pov mammal marine nintendo on_top open_mouth panting penetration penis pinniped pokémon pokémon_(species) pussy saliva samurott sex straddling sweat vaginal vaginal_penetration video_games walrein

Score: 25
User: Jasperinity
Date: June 19, 2017

Personally, I would also like an ambiguous_body_type tag. Semi-anthro is... okay in some ways, I guess, but not really sufficient in others. Notably, images where there is not enough shown of the creature to be able to say whether or not it is feral, semi-anthro, or anthro.

Is a disembodied canine penis, for example, feral, anthro, or semi-anthro? If a human is engaging with a disembodied animal-like penis, should that be tagged bestiality? Because it is, sometimes, and other times it's not, and as far as I know there's really not any clear ruling on what to do in those cases (I've asked and gotten no response).

• Created Forum Links section in OP
      • added forum #188594 - Bit of Help with Taurs Appreciated (Mar. 2016)

Clawdragons said:
    [..]
    Is a disembodied canine penis, for example, feral, anthro, or semi-anthro? If a human is engaging with a disembodied animal-like penis, should that be tagged bestiality? Because it is, sometimes, and other times it's not, and as far as I know there's really not any clear ruling on what to do in those cases (I've asked and gotten no response).

Agreed, ambiguous_body_type has uses similar to the ambiguous_gender tag, but for body types

Edit: ambiguous_form exists, but maybe the uses aren't identical

-

Semi-anthro is... okay in some ways, I guess, but not really sufficient in others.

Can you mention some ways you think semi-anthro may not be sufficient?

-

Notably, images where there is not enough shown of the creature to be able to say whether or not it is feral, semi-anthro, or anthro.

Is this one of the ways it's not sufficient? If so, can you link some example posts? Thanks

Another example:

▼ Click to collapse

Anthro rabbit 1
    anthro black_and_white buckteeth female flat_chested fur jetcrow lagomorph looking_away mammal monochrome pussy rabbit simple_background sitting sketch solo spread_legs spreading teeth white_background

Score: 11
User: titanmelon
Date: June 06, 2012
    -
    Anthro rabbit 2
    ambiguous_gender anthro big_ears blush brown_body crepix floppy_ears lagomorph looking_at_viewer lopunny low_res mammal nintendo pink_nose pokémon pokémon_(species) red_eyes simple_background sitting solo spread_legs spreading video_games white_background

Score: 14
User: titanmelon
Date: October 15, 2014
    -
    Anthro rabbit 3
    anthro big_ears black_and_white blush breasts butt clothing cute embarrassed female fur lagomorph line_art looking_at_viewer mammal monochrome nude panties presenting rear_view ruby_(rq) ruby_quest side_view simple_background small_breasts solo toof underwear underwear_around_one_leg white_fur

User: Tranquil_Bunny
Date: April 13, 2016
    -
    Anthro rabbit 4
    3_toes 3d_(artwork) anthro bed clothing digital_media_(artwork) disney feet female hi_res judy_hopps lagomorph long_ears looking_at_viewer mammal on_bed paws police police_uniform purple_eyes rabbit sitting solo spats toes uniform zootopia

User: LoveTwilightSparkle
    -
    Anthro rabbit 5
    4_toes anal anal_masturbation anal_penetration anthro balls blush bottomless bow_tie butt clothed clothing cum cum_drip dildo dildo_sitting dripping erection eyewear glasses hi_res lagomorph male mammal masturbation penetration penis rabbit sex_toy shirt shiuk solo spread_legs spreading toes uncut

Score: 13
User: TuttiFrutti
Deleted: Inferior version/duplicate of post #869852
    -
    Anthro rabbit 6
    anal anal_penetration anthro balls big_penis blush clothing disembodied_penis duo erection girly hi_res lagomorph lavenderpandy legwear male male/male male_penetrating mammal penetration penis rabbit sex simple_background smile socks solo_focus teeth thigh_highs toeless_socks vein

User: Cat-in-Flight
    -
    Anthro rabbit 7
    ! 5_toes anthro band-aid bandage barefoot clothing digital_media_(artwork) feet footwear fur grass hi_res humanoid_feet lagomorph looking_back male mammal plantigrade rabbit sandals sebafox solo speech_bubble toes tree white_fur

User: Dudeman147
Date: March 22, 2016

-

Same body type? Why?

Clawdragons
    Privileged
    1 year ago
    armor blue_eyes blush breath claws cowgirl_position drooling duo edit erection faceless_male female feral first_person_view hi_res interspecies kajinchu looking_at_viewer male male/female male_penetrating male_pov mammal marine nintendo on_top open_mouth panting penetration penis pinniped pokémon pokémon_(species) pussy saliva samurott sex straddling sweat vaginal vaginal_penetration video_games walrein

titanmelon said:
    Is this one of the ways it's not sufficient? If so, can you link some example posts? Thanks

Sure.

2016 <3 animal_genitalia animal_penis bestiality big_breasts blonde_hair blue_eyes breasts disembodied_penis duo equine equine_penis erect_nipples erection fellatio female female_on_feral feral hair horse huge_breasts human human_focus human_on_feral interspecies male male/female mammal metroid nintendo nipples nude oral penis romman08 samus_aran sex video_games

User: Pasiphaë
Date: February 24, 2016
    4:3 after_sex animal_genitalia animal_penis anus ball_grab ball_suck balls bestiality big_balls big_butt big_penis blush bound butt cum cum_in_ass cum_inside cum_leaking digital_media_(artwork) disembodied_penis equine_penis erection eye_roll female female_on_feral feral gaping gaping_anus green_eyes group hair huge_balls huge_butt huge_penis human human_focus human_on_feral immobile interspecies jlullaby looking_back male male/female mammal nude oral penis penis_everywhere penis_on_head public_use pussy restrained saliva sex solo_focus sucking tight_fit vein veiny_penis wide_eyed

Score: 42
User: my_bad_english
Date: February 10, 2016

Images like those are a good example of what I mean. Those are clearly equine penises, but do they belong to ferals or anthros? It's ambiguous. Semi-anthro is sometimes used for ambiguous, in-between cases, but it can't be used here because it's not as though their body-style is in between feral and anthro, but rather, their bodies simply aren't shown.

Clawdragons said:

Disembodied is disembodied. There's not anthro, feral, or humanoid about it. No bestiality or masturbation, either, it's like with tentacles.

Maybe we should have a disembodied_on_human/humanoid/anthro/feral.

DragonFox69
    Privileged
    1 year ago
    alpha_channel anthro charmeleon eyewear fire flaming_tail green_eyes guitar male musical_instrument natsuakai neckerchief nintendo orange_skin pokémon pokémon_(species) reptile scalie simple_background solo sunglasses transparent_background video_games

Score: 12
User: Scakk
Date: May 13, 2014

Furrin_Gok said:
    Disembodied is disembodied. There's not anthro, feral, or humanoid about it.

I agree. Given the artwork on this site, any kind of penis can be on any kind of species, so I feel that penis type alone is insufficient evidence for adding such tags.

Clawdragons
    Privileged
    1 year ago

DragonFox69 said:
    I agree. Given the artwork on this site, any kind of penis can be on any kind of species, so I feel that penis type alone is insufficient evidence for adding such tags.

I think this same line of reasoning would lead to disembodied penises being tagged as ambiguous_gender, because it very well could belong to a dickgirl, herm, maleherm, or male, given the artwork on this site.

In the absence of any other cues, I think it's safe to assume that a disembodied [species] penis belongs to [species]. But again this is all why I'd like an ambiguous_body_type tag as well as a clear ruling on the issue.

Furrin_Gok said:
    Disembodied is disembodied. There's not anthro, feral, or humanoid about it. No bestiality or masturbation, either, it's like with tentacles.

If I remove the bestiality tags on images like the ones I linked, they'll be harder to find in the future to repair if it turns out they should keep said tag, whereas if I leave the tag until I know for sure what the admins would prefer it's easy to go through and fix them from that point on.

So basically I agree with you, but I'm trying to play it safe.