titanmelon said:
Kind of a rather abstract question, not directly related to tagging:

Are humanoids technically mammals?

I mean..they're human/human-like right?

-
@Furrin_Gok said no (and I agree with that):
https://e621.net/forum/show/197378

Furrin_Gok said:
Nope. Take muffet, she's a spider_humanoid and an arachnid, not a mammal.

post #885744 is a dragon_humanoid, and a scalie, but not a mammal.

Furrin_Gok said:
That first one looks anthro to me, Titan.

Same for me (or rather semi-anthro)
which is the point exactly;

Some people are going to consider it feral, some anthro, some in-between

the main point here, even if we ignore potential 'mistags', is the possibility of multiple feral body types existing

Based on a combination of factors such as art style, anatomy, poses, expressions etc

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Rating: Safe
Score: 245
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

titanmelon said:
the main point here, even if we ignore potential 'mistags', is the possibility of multiple feral body types existing

Based on a combination of factors such as art style, anatomy, poses, expressions etc

If the userbase can't tag even one broad type of ferals consistently, do you really expect that splitting it into multiples would keep it in better order?

Such as those pegasus you posted on last page. The first one is a mistagged anthro , but I fail to see what's inconsistent about the other four.

@Genjar:

Genjar said:
If the userbase can't tag even one broad type of ferals consistently, do you really expect that splitting it into multiples would keep it in better order?

Not necessarily splitting it, but allowing further differentiation. Something like

• feral
    • [tag for less realistic/toony ferals]
    • realistic_feral_bodytype

-

The first one is a mistagged anthro , but I fail to see what's inconsistent about the other four.

See:

titanmelon said:
which is the point exactly;

Some people are going to consider it feral, some anthro, some in-between

There's also an entire forum about this (not from me, for once) discussing why feral is a very broad tag

I'll add some relevant posts and counterpoints in here and to OP soon

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

But again, what's inconsistent about those four?

Art-style doesn't define the type. All four are feral, just drawn in different styles. And I doubt that anyone would tag those as anything else but feral, or at least I haven't seen that happen.

Some humans are drawn in a realistic style. Some are more cartoony. But they're all in the same type-category. Same goes for other categories, including feral.

Here's a relevant post from @Wodahseht:

Bold empahsis mine
https://e621.net/forum/show/191504

Genjar said:
I've suggested that a couple of times. But different artstyles make it a hard sell.
For example, would any of these be considered 'anatomically correct' feral foxes?

Wodahseht said:
I know. Defining and putting such into action would be tricky and I don't know how to really go about it. My point was mostly that we shouldn't be looking at removing the feral tag from those, but rather a tag that lets people sort out those specific ferals if that's what they're after.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago

That doesn't seem relevant, so I'm just going to assume that you can't answer question. Since evidently you don't feel like explaining, and I'm not a mind reader.

Genjar said:
That doesn't seem relevant, so I'm just going to assume that you can't answer question. Since evidently you don't feel like explaining, and I'm not a mind reader.

I uhh..actually didn't notice your replies because of that forum highlight bug

The second post is related to the forum in general (but I suppose it's related to the feral body type thing too, see below)

Anyway,

Genjar said:
But again, what's inconsistent about those four?

Not so much the body types are inconsistent,
more about people who are under the impression that everything tagged with feral refers to the same thing, with little to no noticeable visible variation

Which has been pointed out multiple": times": in multiple": places": to be untrue

Art-style doesn't define the type. All four are feral, just drawn in different styles. And I doubt that anyone would tag those as anything else but feral, or at least I haven't seen that happen.

Some humans are drawn in a realistic style. Some are more cartoony. But they're all in the same type-category. Same goes for other categories, including feral.

Definitely agreed, body type and art style (degree of portrayed realism) should be treated as separate things for the purpose of tagging

That's why I made the suggestion": to do more things with the realistic and toony tags

But it was pointed out": (iirc) that those tags are also vague

-
links pending

Here's *another* example

feral pony(?) 2015 anatomically_correct anatomically_correct_pussy animal_genitalia animal_pussy anus applejack_(mlp) blonde_hair bridle brown_fur butt cactus cowboy_hat cutie_mark dock earth_pony english_text equine equine_pussy etheross female feral friendship_is_magic fur gun hair handgun hat hooves horse long_hair looking_at_viewer lying mammal money_bag my_little_pony on_side pony pussy raised_tail ranged_weapon revolver saddle solo text underhoof weapon

Rating: Explicit
Score: 202
User: lemongrab
Date: December 10, 2015
feral pony 2013 anus applejack_(mlp) blonde_hair butt cervix clitoris close-up cutie_mark digital_media_(artwork) earth_pony equine female feral freckles friendship_is_magic fur green_eyes hair hi_res horse looking_at_viewer looking_back lying mammal my_little_pony nude on_front orange_fur pony presenting pussy pussy_juice ratofdrawn solo spread_legs spread_pussy spreading urethra

Rating: Explicit
Score: 140
User: Falord
Date: October 20, 2013

same character

-
We can run around calling out everything as mistags based on personal interpretation of a vaguely-defined criteria as long as we want,

but the point (again) here is:

There are different ways to draw a character which can affect said interpretation of what body type they have

Not to such an extreme extent that you'd mistake the second example for an anthro horse or whatever, but within the same bounds of the feral body type
-
Honestly, this is beginning to feel like one of those 'prove a set contains the elements it contains' type of situations

realistic versus toony (Does the first one fit realistic?), they're separate tags from the feral tag though.

Chessax
Contributor
1 year ago
2010 ambiguous_gender black_lips canine cute daffodil_(flower) day eyes_closed feral flower forest fox fur half-length_portrait inner_ear_fluff long_mouth mammal markings matt_binstead nature orange_fur outside photo plant portrait real red_fox side_view sniffing snout solo tree whiskers white_fur

Score: 237
User: zoodno
Date: September 17, 2010

titanmelon said:
That's why I made the suggestion": to do more things with the realistic and toony tags

Furrin_Gok said:
realistic versus toony (Does the first one fit realistic?), they're separate tags from the feral tag though.

Maybe not an issue, but that would make a large majority of all mlp posts toony (which they probably technically are) as well as several pokemon, I imagine.

Chessax said:
Maybe not an issue, but that would make a large majority of all mlp posts toony (which they probably technically are) as well as several pokemon, I imagine.

Fine by me.

Genjar
Former Staff
1 year ago

Chessax said:

Fine by me too.
As far as I know, that's why toony exists: for separating cartoony styles from realistic ones. There's also photorealism for the far opposite end of the spectrum.

Completely forgot about this, so adding it here too:
(don't think I wrote anything about this so far)

https://e621.net/forum/show/200754

▼ Click to collapse

Related, putting it in here for now:
(planning a post about taur definition in forum #189471)

https://e621.net/forum/show/73013 [~3 years old]

Renard_Queenston said:
While on the subject, does a naga count as a taur?

Azazial said:
No. Nagas are not taurs. Their tag is different but similar. I would recommend they be treated under the same rules but not be considered the same. Hybrid tag similar to centaurs.
eg.

post #292475 (Snake + Naga)
post #290012 (Human + Naga)
post #267084 (Snake + Naga)
post #238924 (Snake + cat?)
post #199412 (Giraffe + Naga/Snake?)
post #147796 (male feline bottom, male snake mid, male horse top (see source))

Sorry Naga/Lamaia fans, I am not from your lust/fandom so feel free to correct me.

PS: please mention in here if you know whether or not the above already happened somewhere