Topic: movies

Of the ones I've seen more recently:

• The Shawshank Redemption(1994) - This very rightfully earns the spot of highest rated film. Very well acted, well written, and you won't regret seeing it.
  • Witness for the Prosecution(1957) - Wonderfully paced, great story, characters are well developed. Don't expect any special effects or action scenes here.
  • House of Sand and Fog(2003) - This movie is extremely powerful, falls into the category of movies you should see, but will only ever want to watch once.
  • The Departed(2006) - Great acting, decent mix of action and story, enjoyable action/drama.
  • Sicario(2015) - Amazing camera work going on here, while it lacks a main character, this movie knows exactly how to build tension and keep you interested in what happens next.
  • The Conjuring(2013) - One of the few horror movies that I enjoyed where the movie took itself seriously. The director of photography for this film did one hell of a great job. Sound work is pretty spot on, and the build of tension and story telling just works. Mix of action and development scenes is well done for a horror movie. Skip the sequel if you though this one was super good, it doesn't seem to understand what made this one so great.
  • Deadpool(2016) - This is a campy, fourth wall breaking and self referential action film that manages to just work. Filled with crass humor and politically incorrect jokes. Not a super hero movie per-se.
  • Robot & Frank(2012) - An intriguing little movie. I really enjoyed the story of this one. Will make you think and feel. It doesn't really fit into a category either. I don't think this ever get a big release or reception, which is a shame.

I could probably produce a pretty large list if anyone was actually interested.

Updated by anonymous