Topic: Ought we tag animation styles?

I'll be the first to say, I don't know all that terribly much about animation. But I can tell, all the same, that there are some pretty distinct methods of animation. And, I can certainly imagine that someone might like certain types of animation but not others.

For instance, a fairly common method of animation (of a sort) is where an otherwise still image is distorted:

post #1033175

This is a fairly good example. You can see clearly that the actual art isn't being redrawn, but rather is being distorted into a new shape. This is particularly apparent in the second section of movement, on the lower body of the fox - the entire crotch area seems to extend and distort forward - such oddities are rather particular to this sort of animation.

Another sort of animation is puppet animation:

post #22374

Common in flash, but can be done in other programs as well. Largely made up of puppet pieces that can move independently.

There's also frame-by-frame animation, which I think is mostly what this consists of:

post #841859

You can clearly tell there's a lot of redrawing going on here, rather than repositioning or distorting...

There are other types of animation, of course. Manipulating 3d models, pixel animation... I'm sure others I'm not thinking of right now... And, of course, it's possible for an image to contain multiple types, but usually there's a dominant technique. Again, this isn't really my area of expertise though, so... Yeah.

But my point is that it is entirely possible to have different preferences for these sorts of things. Someone may want to search for certain types of animation, exclude or blacklist certain types, or whatever else.

So I wonder if we should try to reflect that in tagging?

Updated by titanmelon