Topic: [Feature/Implemented] Filesize limit for GIF files

Requested feature overview description.
If user is trying to upload gif that is exceeding 20 MB, upload gets prevented.

Why would it be useful?
post #840879 post #840941
GIF: 1280x720, 50 FPS, visual dithering, 65 MB
WebM: 1920x1080, 48 FPS, video compression (also visible on gif version), sound, 5 MB

post #843248
3 second loop that's also reversed that's 56 MB large. Taken from the 30 second long video.

post #841317 post #841347
GIF: 1920x1080, 10 FPS, 53 MB
WebM: 1920x1080, 24 FPS, 1 MB

These are just few of tons of examples, but I hope this can get my point across. This is actually really hard matter as there's no definite line and I don't want to sound like I'm telling everyone how to use the fileformat. I'm also not againts the gifs in general and with many things they are actually best thing to use at least right now.

However when it gets to this degrees, I'm almost certain there's at least some level of agreement that it's going too far. Gifs clearly cannot handle high frame rate HD quality content, so why are some are still trying to force that in? For those wanting the quality, video and flash formats do exsists, leaving main focus of gifs onto those who either do not care about quality or are using older/mobile devices to view the content. This means that for those users larger filesize will only start to become negative when certain point is passed.

One main benefit of gifs is the ability to share them easily or highlight certain parts from longer videos, but when the sizes get insanely large and they contain full minutes long video instead of that highlight, the benefit vanishes.

There are so many variables when it comes to gifs, so going by resolution, frame rate, artists official version, version using custom color palette, etc. at least start would be to do what other major sites have been doing for years: limit filesize.

Even sites like imgur actually convert gifs into webm and mp4 videos when they go over certain treshold. Twitter automatically converts every gif into mp4, major chat programs do this as well. e6 does have webm and flash support directly, so the reason to keep insanely large gifs especially if they are user generated becomes much less meaningful.

What part(s) of the site page(s) are affected?
New uploads uploaded onto site.

Updated by KiraNoot