Username history

In category: General

User profiles don't have a name history anymore.
Is there still some way of accessing it?

Could trace it back the hard way via records.

You can never figure out who I am!

wous
Contributor
4 months ago
4_fingers 4_toes alien beverage black_eyes blue_claws blue_fur blue_nose book claws coffee cup disney english_text experiment_(species) fur head_tuft holding_book holding_cup holding_object honey inanimate_object inner_tube james_silvani jar lilo_and_stitch notched_ear pleakley reading relaxing scrump signature solo steam stitch text toes traditional_media_(artwork) url

Rating: Safe
Score: 12
User: BooruHitomi
Date: February 02, 2018

Mairo said:

While we're here, why did the ri become ir?

wous said:
While we're here, why did the ri become ir?

Was there ever an "ri" in Mairo's name...?

wous
Contributor
4 months ago
4_fingers 4_toes alien beverage black_eyes blue_claws blue_fur blue_nose book claws coffee cup disney english_text experiment_(species) fur head_tuft holding_book holding_cup holding_object honey inanimate_object inner_tube james_silvani jar lilo_and_stitch notched_ear pleakley reading relaxing scrump signature solo steam stitch text toes traditional_media_(artwork) url

Score: 12
User: BooruHitomi
Date: February 02, 2018

Siral_Exan said:

Without a doubt and until only just very recently.

Eggplant
Privileged
4 months ago
2018 absurd_res ambiguous_gender eumus_mark_(monoflax) glowing glowing_eyes greyscale halo hand_on_shoulder hi_res humanoid monochrome monoflax monstrous_humanoid not_furry rear_view sharp_teeth solo spines teeth

Score: 18
User: JAKXXX3
Date: February 21, 2018

Siral_Exan said:

it wouldnt be first time i have been misreading someone's name awkwardly long

Mairo said:

blush clothing female human li'l_sparky male mammal mario mario_bros nintendo not_furry paper_mario sean_hicks sun video_games watt_(mario)

Score: 4
User: Nuji
Date: September 29, 2016 2013 69_position anal anthro anubian_jackal areola ball_fondling balls big_breasts black_fur black_hair breasts brown_hair butt canine conditional_dnp duo ear_piercing erection eyes_closed fellatio female fondling fur giraffe hair jackal kadath lying male male/female mammal nightshade_(kadath) nipples nude on_back oral patrick_(kadath) penis piercing rimming sex spots vein

Rating: Explicit
Score: 122
User: TheHuskyK9
Date: September 04, 2013

Why was this removed and when?? I never noticed til now!!

BlackLicorice said:
Why was this removed and when?? I never noticed til now!!

Got patched in late last week, and we added it because people have used our username history to dox and harass our users. There's also the problem of people signing up with their non-furry nicknames, then later realizing it might hurt their job prospects.
So we've been taking steps to alleviate those issues.

NotMeNotYou said:
Got patched in late last week, and we added it because people have used our username history to dox and harass our users. There's also the problem of people signing up with their non-furry nicknames, then later realizing it might hurt their job prospects.

wut

Queen_Tyr'ahnee said:
blush clothing female human li'l_sparky male mammal mario mario_bros nintendo not_furry paper_mario sean_hicks sun video_games watt_(mario)

Date: September 29, 2016 2013 69_position anal anthro anubian_jackal areola ball_fondling balls big_breasts black_fur black_hair breasts brown_hair butt canine conditional_dnp duo ear_piercing erection eyes_closed fellatio female fondling fur giraffe hair jackal kadath lying male male/female mammal nightshade_(kadath) nipples nude on_back oral patrick_(kadath) penis piercing rimming sex spots vein

...Li'lSexSpark?

Mairo said:

https://e621.net/ticket/show/37679

sorry if i hurt your chances of becoming president

NotMeNotYou said:

That's fair. I was initially kinda hesitant about this because of the potential for amuse--letting someone harass someone, then change names and harass them from a "new person" or something (basically, nothing that couldn't be circumvented with an alt account, but still) ... ... I think my 'ideal' would be to display the most recent username for a period of time--and if someone has work concerns, a double change could be done or something... buuuuut people will just lie, so whatever.

Thanks for doing the right thing to try and make things better for yoru users. :)

SnowWolf said:
That's fair. I was initially kinda hesitant about this because of the potential for amuse--letting someone harass someone, then change names and harass them from a "new person" or something (basically, nothing that couldn't be circumvented with an alt account, but still) ... ... I think my 'ideal' would be to display the most recent username for a period of time--and if someone has work concerns, a double change could be done or something... buuuuut people will just lie, so whatever.

Thanks for doing the right thing to try and make things better for yoru users. :)

We admins can still see the full history and all types of records and tickets use the User-ID instead. The actual amount of abuse is going to be heavily limited since reporting someone will still show up as the same person to us.

NotMeNotYou said:
We admins can still see the full history and all types of records and tickets use the User-ID instead. The actual amount of abuse is going to be heavily limited since reporting someone will still show up as the same person to us.

Oh I don't doubt that-- I jsut know that I would be one of those peopel who thinks about, but doesn't report someone who's annoying me... y'know. I'm a big girl, I can deal with someone being a bit of a jerk. Worst case scenario I.. Oh.. well that is an interesting question.

e621:blacklist says that you can blacklist specific users (... actually, I think I wrote the original text for that, once upon a time.... Neat!) by blacklisting, say, user:snowwolf ...and you can "Apply Blacklisted Users to Forum Posts, Comments, Dmails, and Blip"...

... this obviously isn't a problem specific to not seeing history of name changes, but... ... can a user just change their name to get around someone's efforts to block them...? Or I mean, that doesn't even have to be malicious in nature...

I mean, I guess it's been that way for ages and hasn't really been a problem... just got me thinking that now there'd be no way for someone to see that bloodandgoreforever changed their name to gutsandbeauty and that's why their blacklist seems to be broken. which really isn't that big of a deal. Just... thinking.

SnowWolf said:
Oh I don't doubt that-- I jsut know that I would be one of those peopel who thinks about, but doesn't report someone who's annoying me... y'know. I'm a big girl, I can deal with someone being a bit of a jerk. Worst case scenario I.. Oh.. well that is an interesting question.

e621:blacklist says that you can blacklist specific users (... actually, I think I wrote the original text for that, once upon a time.... Neat!) by blacklisting, say, user:snowwolf ...and you can "Apply Blacklisted Users to Forum Posts, Comments, Dmails, and Blip"...

... this obviously isn't a problem specific to not seeing history of name changes, but... ... can a user just change their name to get around someone's efforts to block them...? Or I mean, that doesn't even have to be malicious in nature...

I mean, I guess it's been that way for ages and hasn't really been a problem... just got me thinking that now there'd be no way for someone to see that bloodandgoreforever changed their name to gutsandbeauty and that's why their blacklist seems to be broken. which really isn't that big of a deal. Just... thinking.

Can we blacklist users by id instead, maybe?

Eggplant
Privileged
4 months ago
2018 absurd_res ambiguous_gender eumus_mark_(monoflax) glowing glowing_eyes greyscale halo hand_on_shoulder hi_res humanoid monochrome monoflax monstrous_humanoid not_furry rear_view sharp_teeth solo spines teeth

Score: 18
User: JAKXXX3
Date: February 21, 2018

NotMeNotYou said:

im so glad about this honestly. having my username history visible has been thorn in my side for a while now because of this one particularly persistent stalker...

Furrin_Gok said:
Can we blacklist users by id instead, maybe?

Not yet but hopefully soon.

Lord_Eggplant said:
im so glad about this honestly. having my username history visible has been thorn in my side for a while now because of this one particularly persistent stalker...

I really wish we could upvote/thumbs up/like/whatever forum posts too-- this is exactly the sort of thing I'd love to be able to appreciate without having to post about it.

NotMeNotYou said:
Not yet but hopefully soon.

So's this for that matter :) but this pleases me. tha'ts way more comprehensive :D

People will just stalk by user ID from now on

Queen_Tyr'ahnee said:

I like how pictorial replies make you think.
I thought initially you were saying "Mario.. suck my dick."
Then I realized you nailed the full username exactly.

Lord_Eggplant said:

.. Yeah, I'm with Munkelzahn. UID is typically supposed to be a persistent id, so that's definitely what people will do. Seems like you could either avoid a "paper trail" (by creating a new account), or keep your posts, comments + etc, but not both.

savageorange said:
I like how pictorial replies make you think.
I thought initially you were saying "Mario.. suck my dick."
Then I realized you nailed the full username exactly.

2017 anthro anus back_muscles black_scales breasts butt claws clothed clothing collar dragon female half-closed_eyes hi_res horn looking_at_viewer markings non-mammal_breasts panties panties_aside presenting presenting_hindquarters purple_eyes pussy red_markings savage scales scalie sharp_claws sharp_teeth skimpy skygracer smile solo swimsuit teeth thong topless underwear underwear_aside

Score: 373
User: Cat-in-Flight
Date: April 30, 2017ambiguous_gender cat feline feral food fruit mammal orange_(fruit) parody sazae-san solo suggestive tama_(sazae-san) uziga_waita wet what

Score: 16
User: VulpesFoxnik
Date: August 08, 2009

This is a change I’m happy to see. It always bothered me that you could see all the names a user previously went by.

savageorange said:
.. Yeah, I'm with Munkelzahn. UID is typically supposed to be a persistent id, so that's definitely what people will do. Seems like you could either avoid a "paper trail" (by creating a new account), or keep your posts, comments + etc, but not both.

That requires that people actually have the UID before the name change occurred. Which is highly unlikely in a lot of cases, and especially when the stalking comes from google.
It's certainly not perfect but it's a lot better than before.

I take your google point, but what I was thinking of was that name changes are tracked, and in the ticket, original username is shown, and a link containing UID is given. That means, AFAICS, that UID is ideal but one of the user's past names would also do.

(still, tickets are not searchable, so that would entail spidering through ~18000 tickets , given that original username is NOT shown in the index. Definitely an improvement.)

NotMeNotYou said:
That requires that people actually have the UID before the name change occurred. Which is highly unlikely in a lot of cases, and especially when the stalking comes from google.
It's certainly not perfect but it's a lot better than before.

Actually, it's not that simple.
Suppose I wanted to stalk someone named "Mario69".
I wouldn't even have to use the evil Google, DDG is enough:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mario69&t=ffab&ia=web

#1413967: hecchi_dechu - e621
Mario69 said: Welp, seems like french are pretty open about sexual humor. Oh yes. Yes we do.
https://e621.net/post/show/1413967/accidental_penetration-animated-anthro-anus-bear-b

The post has a quote by Mario69 where the name is a link to the proifle and OMG he has been unmasked.

Solution:
Make a new Dtext tag for users
In Edit mode, it shows up like this:
user #38571
In non-Edit mode, it shows up like:
Mairo (so if he changed his name to "Moria", all quotes of his would show this new name - because the current name is inserted into the web page when it's served to a browser)

I realize that it's probably too much work to apply this retroactively (though not impossible), but it could be done for all new quotes.

The general point is that it's enough for some basic low-level "want to dodge that one guy who tends to show up on your websites 'coincidentally'" but not if you're planning on running for congress, or if your exboyfriend is violating his restraining order.

Which is reasonable. As reasonable as anything here can be anyway.

(edit: as in "as reasonable as anything can be, where there are arguments on either side for wanting/not wanting searchability.)

wow now no one will ever know I used to be a b̶̸̠̪̲̦͇̳̤̱͈͡r̵̗͎͙̘͕̞̞͡ͅo̸̫̺̼̠ń̵̘̭͚y̶̫̯̙̩̞͉̙̤ͅ

Knotty_Curls said:
wow now no one will ever know I used to be a b̶̸̠̪̲̦͇̳̤̱͈͡r̵̗͎͙̘͕̞̞͡ͅo̸̫̺̼̠ń̵̘̭͚y̶̫̯̙̩̞͉̙̤ͅ

how u make them fancy leddurs