Remove original_character -> fan_character

In category: Tag Alias and Implication Suggestions

Original characters are not always fan characters; see Mae by Paige for one such example.

honestly, this alias creates a ton of mistagging and its objectively bad alias. the term is not exclusively used to refer fan characters (in fact it refers more commonly non-fan characters) and people add it to their own ocs without realizing what it causes.

leomole
Privileged
5 days ago
2014 ambiguous_gender anthro bottle bottomless cat chair clothed clothing computer desk feline fur girly headphones hoodie inside jailbird leaning leaning_back legwear liam looking_at_viewer looking_back mammal reclining sitting smile socks solo tan_fur

Rating: Safe
Score: 125
User: Onii-chan
Date: May 09, 2014

Original characters that are not fan characters shouldn't be tagged as original characters. By that logic all characters are original characters. It doesn't mean anything.

But I agree, original_character should be aliased to invalid_tag not fan_character. If you post your OC just tag its name.

FibS
5 days ago
anthro butterfly_wings clothing crossed_arms cute elae_meltaea fairy fairy_dragon female fibs fur red_body rhubarb smile solo vector white_fur wings wishdragon young

Score: 7
User: FibS
Date: January 22, 2018

Carnaxus said:
Original characters are not always fan characters; see Mae by Paige for one such example.

The entire point of "original character" is to specify that you have added an original character of yours to an existing franchise, as opposed to a canon character. It's just a more "professional" way to say fan character.

If your character is COMPLETELY original and appearing in a completely original world of yours, then you don't need to make that distinction. It becomes a moot point.

FibS said:
The entire point of "original character" is to specify that you have added an original character of yours to an existing franchise, as opposed to a canon character. It's just a more "professional" way to say fan character.

If your character is COMPLETELY original and appearing in a completely original world of yours, then you don't need to make that distinction. It becomes a moot point.

I wouldn't call it professional, honestly it sounds more arrogant to call say 'original character' in place of 'fan character'. If it's a fan-made character in an established universe, there's not really as much originality as the fan thinks.

In short, I agree with aliasing 'original_character' to 'invalid_tag'.

Oh see, Donut steel.

MissChu said:
I wouldn't call it professional, honestly it sounds more arrogant to call say 'original character' in place of 'fan character'. If it's a fan-made character in an established universe, there's not really as much originality as the fan thinks.

In short, I agree with aliasing 'original_character' to 'invalid_tag'.

Believe it or not, that "arrogance" is way more common than people referring to fanchiseless characters as original.

SnowWolf
Former Staff
4 days ago
black_fur blue_eyes blue_feathers blue_hair equine fan_character feathered_wings feathers female feral flying fur hair hi_res horn mammal multicolored_hair my_little_pony shilokh smile snowdrift snowflake solo star watermark white_feathers winged_unicorn wings

Score: 23
User: SnowWolf
Date: July 28, 2012

Well, the reason people refer to non-franchise characters as 'original characters' are more complicated.

Way back when, in the early days of the internet. everyone was very careful to place copyright information on any fan art or fanfic they did, because people were actually, literally getting threatened with legal action. When 'everyone' does something, it's easy to assume you need to do it too. "everyone says 'Stuff like "Lestat belongs to Anne Rice, but Ebony Dementia Raven belongs to ME!' ... so maybe I need to clarify that it's mine?"

Plus, when you create an interesting character, there's a lot of people who'll ask "whoa, he looks cool, what's he from?" leading to the explanation of "no, he's mine, I made him" and it's easier to forstall that by just explaining that they're an original character, not from any franchise.

Or that they're a fan character in the such and such setting.

Obviously, we're no longer in the dark days of the itnernet, but some habits live on

No.
By removing this alias and going by the logic provided in the op post, it would mean every image NOT tagged fan character would be tagged original character.
It is a useless tag, only people who need feel to use the "original character" on art are usually those under the age of 18 who think everyone is out to steal their characters.

SnowWolf
Former Staff
4 days ago
black_fur blue_eyes blue_feathers blue_hair equine fan_character feathered_wings feathers female feral flying fur hair hi_res horn mammal multicolored_hair my_little_pony shilokh smile snowdrift snowflake solo star watermark white_feathers winged_unicorn wings

Score: 23
User: SnowWolf
Date: July 28, 2012

Chaser said:
It is a useless tag, only people who need feel to use the "original character" on art are usually those under the age of 18 who think everyone is out to steal their characters.

Again, original character is *also* a way of stating that, no, this character is is not from some TV show, it's 'mine'. I have spent much time browsing around. If you are at all a popular artist and you do not say "This is my character" you will have people asking what it's from.

And honestly, I really prefer people state it clearly: I hate when I have to spent 20 minutes searching around for ANY character information... Is it the artist's character? a character from a show? a commission? a friend??????

also, i generally agree in that original character is a useless tag, and should not be used on the site. It should not be aliased away to fan character either.

FibS
4 days ago
anthro butterfly_wings clothing crossed_arms cute elae_meltaea fairy fairy_dragon female fibs fur red_body rhubarb smile solo vector white_fur wings wishdragon young

MissChu said:
I wouldn't call it professional, honestly it sounds more arrogant to call say 'original character' in place of 'fan character'.

Arrogance and professionalism are only distinguished by perspective

FibS said:

Well, that's certifiably incorrect.

The biggest idiots can be extremely confident and still be wrong.

FibS said:

There is a difference. The latter gets the job done. The former thinks the only difference is perspective.

FibS
4 days ago

kamimatsu said:
There is a difference. The latter gets the job done. The former thinks the only difference is perspective.

So you're turning this into a personal attack at the first opportunity.

e621 as usual, I see.

kamimatsu said:

FibS said:
So you're turning this into a personal attack at the first opportunity.

e621 as usual, I see.

Holy crab muffins, people, can't we be civil for one god damn thread?

Genjar
Former Staff
3 days ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clear_membrane clothed clothing crossed_arms cute duo feral front_view green_body human insect insect_wings lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Score: 278
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

I don't see much proof that this alias causes mistags. Original_character is barely even tagged nowadays, mostly for MLP and Pokemon fan characters.

Also note that most of those originate from tags copied from other places: for instance, PoniBooru uses the original_character tag for fan characters. If the alias is undoed, those'll result in unnecessary invalid tags.

Probably best to just leave it.

Honestly the only problem I have this tag is people use it in lieu of "MLP" or "SONIC" or other more legit tags meaning those of us who blacklist certain things have no way to blacklist a color-swapped version of an official character without also blocking anything we DO want to see with an OC tag.

MissChu said:
Holy crab muffins, people, can't we be civil for one god damn thread?

angel_(mlp) book bookcase bookshelf bowl caption carrot chef_hat edit english_text eyes_closed flower fluffy fluffy_tail food friendship_is_magic frown fur half-closed_eyes hat inside lagomorph laugh low_res male mammal meme my_little_pony naked_hat nude open_mouth open_smile pink_nose plant rabbit reaction_image salad screencap short_tail smile solo spoon teeth text tongue unknown_artist vegetable whiskers white_fur

Score: 18
User: darknessRising
Date: February 27, 2013