Beta Pokemon Gold names

In category: Tag/Wiki Projects and Questions

As you may or may not know, a beta of Pokemon Gold was leaked, and with it, a bunch of scrapped pokemon.

The beta was, of course, in Japanese, but the people who ripped it provided fan-localized names for each of the scrapped pokemon (and non-scrapped pokemon that had different names):

https://i.imgur.com/uDMFpNO.png

These fan-localized names seem to be used more often than the official japanese names.
My question is: should these be tagged with the japanese name, or the fan-localized one if it's use more commonly?


My gut instinct is to go with the romaji since the fan-localized names are unofficial.

Maybe just include a new tag called beta_pokémon, and then decide whether or not to add the specific names later. If there are only a few pieces of artwork for these characters, they can all be found under beta_pokémon for now.


Lance_Armstrong said:
My gut instinct is to go with the romaji since the fan-localized names are unofficial.

Maybe just include a new tag called beta_pokémon, and then decide whether or not to add the specific names later. If there are only a few pieces of artwork for these characters, they can all be found under beta_pokémon for now.

Wasn't smugleaf used as the tag for snivy before that got a canon name? So, it's not like there's no standard for using fan names for characters.


Actually, I am seeing pokémon_gold_beta being used so go with that.


I've retagged a few pokémon_gold_beta girafarig posts to beta_girafarig but we also have a few images where the giraffe/chain-chomp heads are switched colors. I'm not sure what to tag that as.
absurd_res aki_(ikakins) anus beta_girafarig breasts butt female feral girafarig giraffid hi_res horn hybrid ikakins mammal nintendo open_mouth ossicones plump_labia pokémon pokémon_(species) pokémon_gold_beta presenting puffy_anus pussy solo tail_head teats udders video_games what what_has_science_done

Rating: Explicit
Score: 30
User: ikariuga
Date: June 01, 2018


Furrin_Gok said:
I've retagged a few pokémon_gold_beta girafarig posts to beta_girafarig but we also have a few images where the giraffe/chain-chomp heads are switched colors. I'm not sure what to tag that as.
absurd_res aki_(ikakins) anus beta_girafarig breasts butt female feral girafarig giraffid hi_res horn hybrid ikakins mammal nintendo open_mouth ossicones plump_labia pokémon pokémon_(species) pokémon_gold_beta presenting puffy_anus pussy solo tail_head teats udders video_games what what_has_science_done

Rating: Explicit
Score: 30
User: ikariuga
Date: June 01, 2018

Personally I think in this case the hybrid tag would apply, so: beta_girafarig girafarig hybrid


I think the best option would be to alias the fan names to the original names. That way both options will work equally well.

With that said, is there a (preferably copyable) list of names available? I could easily punch those aliases through within a day.


NotMeNotYou said:
I think the best option would be to alias the fan names to the original names. That way both options will work equally well.

With that said, is there a (preferably copyable) list of names available? I could easily punch those aliases through within a day.

Here's the spreadsheet with all the mons in the beta rom, including already existing mons and the beta ones. It includes original Japanese romaji and fan translated names.


DiceLovesBeingBlown said:
Methinks siral mistakenly responded to a similarly named and themed forum, ahaha. Happens to the best of us. I do agree with them tho, mistake aside

Entirely possible, but do we actually need that? I don't think we have plural tags for the official pokemon names like Pikachu.


Well, I'm only aliasing the fan name from that spreadsheet DiceLovesBeingBlown gave me, and maybe add some QOL aliases to make it easier to find. Or distuingish them from existing characters with the same name (like akua).


In this case, I'd suggest maybe reporting a person who's repeatedly attempting to tag with invalid, plural tags as abusing the tag system if they keep repeatedly trying to add them back even after removal.


Siral_Exan said:
It's not worth a report, IMO, because there are more problems to solve than one user adding a bunch of tags. The problem is that they claimed the names are official, and if they are right we may want to use those names instead. Since I don't know which names are official and which ones we'd prefer, and I can't say for certain that they are breaking the rules, I'd rather have someone who knows the right terms make an alias request for all the names instead of reporting one user.

If they continue doing it after being told to stop because they clearly aren't official, then yes, it is worth reporting. Contact them and figure out where they're getting "official" from, if they can't provide a source then they're lying.


Siral_Exan said:
It's not worth a report, IMO, because there are more problems to solve than one user adding a bunch of tags. The problem is that they claimed the names are official, and if they are right we may want to use those names instead. Since I don't know which names are official and which ones we'd prefer, and I can't say for certain that they are breaking the rules, I'd rather have someone who knows the right terms make an alias request instead of reporting one user.

Fair enough. From your wording I assumed they were intensely/aggressively and repeatedly tagging after their removal, but if not then yeah maybe not worth a report. But that is up to you, I consider it tag vandalism myself.

From datamining, aka ripping the data and names straight from the official source, the Japanese original names shown on the spreadsheet should be correct. Romanizations of pokemon names (they're not romanized ingame, but from outside sources like merchandise) sometimes can be a bit iffy, as it can depend on the type of romanization used. Most commonly people use the Hepburn variety when romanizing, so usually it isn't a problem.


Siral_Exan said:
"I can't tell if they're official or not". I have no clue about the status of these beta pokemon barring the fact that they now are brought to public eye. I don't act on assumption, and I would have had to assumed that they were wrong if I made a report; if I was wrong, I would have humiliated myself.

Like I said, contact them and figure out where they're getting "official" from.


At the very least, we do know the spreadsheet contains the official names, even if romanization translations can differ between people on rare occasion. This is because it's directly referring to and sourcing from the names presented in the actual physical rom, which are the most official terms we have.

Unless this mystery person has a source from the official website or even an official document directly from people involved in the creation of the beta, or possible even early media coverage of the beta or something... I'm pretty sure they're wrong.


I have finished.

Siral_Exan said:
I don't act on assumption,

[Citation needed]

In all seriousness, are we talking about iam19? His romanization appears to mainly change the "a-" styled words to "aa" instead, which isn't the correct pronunciation in english.


DiceLovesBeingBlown said:
Personally I think in this case the hybrid tag would apply, so: beta_girafarig girafarig hybrid

Well, I'll do that for now but it doesn't help with posts like post #1571379.
Of course, that's a problem with any hybrid species, so it may be better to devise a character tag for Ikakin's reverse girafarig. Actually, she apparently has one.