Topic: Creating a tag for slurs/extreme harsh language

hslugs said:
Really? on a f*rry p*rn site?..

Just because the words don't bother you don't mean that they don't bother everyone.

Let me explain a trigger to you.

"Oh SnowWolf!" you exclaim, "I already know about how all the little weak-hearted fluffy children are so triggered when something offends their delicate senses!"

Hush now, and let me talk.

I know that the children use 'triggered' in a joking manner these days and that's not what I'm talking about.

A trigger--a real trigger---is something that is deeply upsetting to someone on an intimate and personal level. It is something that can ruin not only a part of someone's day, but possibly their whole week or month. Let me repeat that: A trigger is something that will have long lasting, or severe repercussions for the person being triggered.

(ahem, trigger warnings for the next paragraph or so.)

A trigger isn't "ugh, I hate when men talk about rape." it's "I was raped and whenever people start talking about rape, I start feeling nauseated, and my heart gets fluttery. Most times I'll get really jumpy for the rest of the day. If it's a bad one, maybe all week. Maybe I have nightmares too. Maybe I wake up thinking I hear him calling me a useless whore again, maybe I'm crying, maybe I'm itching and want to claw my own skin off and maybe I'm so broken that I know this is stupid and I'm a worthless waste of ugly flesh but I can't stop thinking about it and I should go take a hot bath but I need to go to sleep because I have a test tomorrow and if I go take a bath I'll end up awake for the next few hours but I guess I'm already awake..."

It isn't a rational thing.

But this is why trigger warnings are a good thing.

Because while you or I can shrug off some things, other people can't. I'm startled when my neighbors set off some fireworks unexpectedly. A veteran with PTSD has a very different reaction. My sister had a tree fall on her house in the middle of a windstorm. storms still make her nervous, because that is the nature of trauma.

Someone who is sensitive to words like F*ggot or r*tart probably doesn't spend much time online because of how often people use these words.... But wouldn't it be nice to let these people have a safe place as well?

The blacklist is a very powerful tool that is intended to allow people avoid content they don't want to see.

I think that is is very good idea to allow a series of tags specifically for the usage of certain words, so that they can be blacklisted if desired.

Updated by anonymous