Feedback on the quality of this drawing?

In category: Art Talk

The title is self-explanatory.

Drawing in question

thanks for your time


might get accepted idk upload it see what happens


AlbineFox said:
The title is self-explanatory.

Drawing in question

thanks for your time

post #1555649 got approved so it's definitely possible


I'm not experienced when it comes to making art, so there are probably better ways to say most of what I'm going to say.

I can see a lot of places where lines don't quite connect where it looks like they're supposed to. In the case of body parts disappearing behind other body parts I feel like layers could probably be used as a quick workaround.
There's also a lot of places where the colouring either bleeds over to the wrong side of a line, or looks like it overwrites parts of a line.

Anatomy-wise the bodies look kinda flat, weirdly proportioned, Nick's(?) arm looks like it kind of just emerges from his side, and he feels weirdly-balanced. This is where I want to ask about your sketch/figure construction process.

I can't figure out where the light is supposed to be angled from. Parts of the characters are lit up as if the light were coming from slightly above the viewpoint, but the lighting on the sheet(?) implies a much higher angle.

I also can't tell for sure what they're on top of or how close it is to the wall.

Honestly I wouldn't expect this to get approved.


Not bad for a start.


MagnusEffect said:
I'm not experienced when it comes to making art, so there are probably better ways to say most of what I'm going to say.

I can see a lot of places where lines don't quite connect where it looks like they're supposed to. In the case of body parts disappearing behind other body parts I feel like layers could probably be used as a quick workaround.
There's also a lot of places where the colouring either bleeds over to the wrong side of a line, or looks like it overwrites parts of a line.

Anatomy-wise the bodies look kinda flat, weirdly proportioned, Nick's(?) arm looks like it kind of just emerges from his side, and he feels weirdly-balanced. This is where I want to ask about your sketch/figure construction process.

I can't figure out where the light is supposed to be angled from. Parts of the characters are lit up as if the light were coming from slightly above the viewpoint, but the lighting on the sheet(?) implies a much higher angle.

I also can't tell for sure what they're on top of or how close it is to the wall.

Honestly I wouldn't expect this to get approved.

Thanks, I'll work on these points. I didn't not that the angle of the light was so wrong when I drew it.

The anatomy part, I normally try to get the anatomy as close as I can to the movie. In the movie they don't have pronounced shoulders.

Thanks again for your help!


I wouldn't approve it.... but this is a lot better than a lot of the things I delete :)

Stick with art! With practice, you'll get better :)

There's a lot of good things in this picture-- my biggest tip for you would be to draw lots, and draw from life, draw from other peoples' art, draw from movie stills... it's bad to copy and claim that you did all the work yourself-- but for practice, copying is a great way to teach yourself how things are shaped in a way that just LOOKING can't teach you.

Another tip would be to not be afraid to delete things or start over.

A big problem we, as human beings, have is that we don't want to delete things. "I already drew that hand! I'm not going to draw it again!" or.. "Well, yeah, she has 3 arms, but I'd have to redrawn that whole thing over there, so I'm not going to." or "yeah her face looks weird, but I don't want to redraw it."

It's SO easy to do that, to just... decide that you don't want to, so you won't.

Don't be afraid to. Especially with digital art, where you can duplicate a layer and try again.

Art takes time. Don't be afraid of it <3


too low quality for here

looks like ms paint


SnowWolf said:
I wouldn't approve it.... but this is a lot better than a lot of the things I delete :)

Stick with art! With practice, you'll get better :)

There's a lot of good things in this picture-- my biggest tip for you would be to draw lots, and draw from life, draw from other peoples' art, draw from movie stills... it's bad to copy and claim that you did all the work yourself-- but for practice, copying is a great way to teach yourself how things are shaped in a way that just LOOKING can't teach you.

Another tip would be to not be afraid to delete things or start over.

A big problem we, as human beings, have is that we don't want to delete things. "I already drew that hand! I'm not going to draw it again!" or.. "Well, yeah, she has 3 arms, but I'd have to redrawn that whole thing over there, so I'm not going to." or "yeah her face looks weird, but I don't want to redraw it."

It's SO easy to do that, to just... decide that you don't want to, so you won't.

Don't be afraid to. Especially with digital art, where you can duplicate a layer and try again.

Art takes time. Don't be afraid of it <3

Thanks. I definitively have to follow that erase and do over part more.