Tag Alias: wisp -> wisp_(disambiguation)

In category: Tag Alias and Implication Suggestions

Aliasing wispwisp_(disambiguation)
Link to alias

Reason:

Seven wisp_(* tags. wisp_in_a_bottle, etc.

1) 2 wisp_(character) character (make more specific?)
2) 22 wisp_(dreamkeepers) character
3) 1 wisp_(fursona) character (make more specific?)
4) 1 wisp_(logicalloony) character
5) 14 wisp_(partran) character
6) 1 wisp_(pony) character
7) 10 wisp_(scare_games) character

+ 1 wisp_in_a_bottle , general

+ 7 wisps general
(which seems to depict will-o'-the-wisp(s)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will-o%27-the-wisp

and some wisps listed at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisp
" Night wisp, a fictional creature in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
...
Wisp is one of the eight elemental spirits featured in the Mana series, representing the light element
Wisp is a nature spirit associated with the Night Elf race in the Warcraft series.
Wisp is a monster in the MMORPG Tibia (video game) that looks like a magical light.
Wisp (Sonic), the alien race in the Sonic the Hedgehog games.
The hero Io in Dota 2 is a guardian wisp."


The proper tag for will-o'-the-wisp is just will-o-wisp. No appostrophe (simply because that'll throw people off), and no "the."


Is there a point to these name disambiguation posts? Do they ever get approved? I looked through quite a few and never saw approval.

Furthermore, can we just admit that disambiguation in general is just terrible. If I search "*_(disambiguation)" there is 127 pages...meaning there's roughly 6,300 images that need individual evaluation on a case by case basis. (this is the part where some smartass comes in and says "DURR HURRR, den why don u do eet?" Because...like many people...I'm just not interested...and that's the problem)

To me the smarter way of dealing with these things would be to...not disambiguate them? When we disambiguate we're merely sequestering those tags to this horrible limbo where no one will ever see them or correct them, at least when they're mixed in all together there is a better chance of someone stumbling upon them organically and deciding to fix them, whereas it's a rather inorganic and rare decision to be like "I'm gunna wade into that disambiguation shitpile and try to fix some today!" Doesn't seem like that's happening very much.


Dyrone said:
Is there a point to these name disambiguation posts? Do they ever get approved? I looked through quite a few and never saw approval.

Furthermore, can we just admit that disambiguation in general is just terrible. If I search "*_(disambiguation)" there is 127 pages...meaning there's roughly 6,300 images that need individual evaluation on a case by case basis. (this is the part where some smartass comes in and says "DURR HURRR, den why don u do eet?" Because...like many people...I'm just not interested...and that's the problem)

To me the smarter way of dealing with these things would be to...not disambiguate them? When we disambiguate we're merely sequestering those tags to this horrible limbo where no one will ever see them or correct them, at least when they're mixed in all together there is a better chance of someone stumbling upon them organically and deciding to fix them, whereas it's a rather inorganic and rare decision to be like "I'm gunna wade into that disambiguation shitpile and try to fix some today!" Doesn't seem like that's happening very much.

these are not getting approved because nobody is approving ANY implications or aliases. and disambiguation tags are significantly better than having bunch of tags that are random heaps of random unrelated shit thrown into under one tag with no indication anywhere that the tag should not be used. with disambiguation tags you can at least figure out what tags you should and should not be using instead of using bad tags without even getting any sort of pointer that you just used ambiguous bad tag and you should use something else instead.


Eggplant said:
these are not getting approved because nobody is approving ANY implications or aliases.

Well at least we can agree there.

Eggplant said:
disambiguation tags are significantly better than having bunch of tags that are random heaps of random unrelated shit thrown into under one tag with no indication anywhere that the tag should not be used. with disambiguation tags you can at least figure out what tags you should and should not be using instead of using bad tags without even getting any sort of pointer that you just used ambiguous bad tag and you should use something else instead.

I mean...I feel like if someone cares about tagging they care and they strive to do everything right and they don't really need a (disambiguation) suffix to tell them that something is ambiguous. They will realize that shit themselves and try to fix it. People who don't care about tagging? Well they just don't care...and no amount of (disambiguation) is going to change that.

I just think there should be a better system...maybe one that places the onus no the uploader to fix the disambiguations before they're even allowed to upload. Maybe a second screen that says "these tags are ambiguous...please choose the correct tags". Otherwise we're just going to have a damn pile of these that will never be fixed.

Genjar
Former Staff
5 months ago
2011 annoyed antennae arthropod biped black_markings blue_eyes clothed clothing crossed_arms duo feral front_view green_body hawk_moth human insect insect_wings lepidopteran lifting lol_comments male mammal markings moth nisimawari pellucid_hawk_moth portrait quadruped shirt shorts simple_background solo_focus spread_wings standing three-quarter_portrait three-quarter_view traditional_media_(artwork) watercolor_(artwork) white_background wings

Rating: Safe
Score: 305
User: Genjar
Date: May 29, 2013

Disambiguation tags were an experiment that seems to have failed completely. They're not getting cleaned at all.

I don't think the admins are too keen on adding more of those.


Genjar said:
Disambiguation tags were an experiment that seems to have failed completely. They're not getting cleaned at all.

I don't think the admins are too keen on adding more of those.

The main problem is that most of them are way too big for an average user to have any motivation to bother fixing them and the handful of dedicated taggers we have already probably already have a to-do lists of tagging projects that they're already dealing with so these tags continue to get bigger and the cycle repeats.

Unless we find a way to discourage peeps from adding these tags to images or at least notify them when they do add a disambiguated tag the problem is probably going to keep getting worse.


Genjar said:
Disambiguation tags were an experiment that seems to have failed completely. They're not getting cleaned at all.

I don't think the admins are too keen on adding more of those.

I don't dig into what images have disambiguation tags, but if I find that ending up on my images I fix it. So it at least has some use, whereas without it I'd have just left the tag alone.