Topic: Removing noise and watermarks with AI

Calimero000 said:
If you're going to tell me "but if the watermark is easily removable people are going to steal my art": Read again. It should be the most normal thing in the world to properly give sources. Removing watermarks/signatures from art and repost it as your own is copyright infringement. People who do that are assholes and should be (and can be) dealt with accordingly.
Slapping a watermark on your artwork is only going to stop someone from trying to steal it when the watermark is so huge that working around it is impossible. But at that point the artwork is ruined anyways.

Heya, I'm speaking as an artist who had his artwork outright stolen a couple of times already, including cases where the pic was cropped in order to remove my signature from the corner and then displayed in a furry rave and another one where the guy just straight up posted a pic of mine behind his patreon paywall

You are too eager to just dismiss people stealing stuff while somehow painting the artist as the bad guy for "ruining the image" with the watermark. While I do agree that putting watermarks on your stuff is not exactly ideal, it is way cheaper than having to constantly contact your lawyer to deal with international copyright issues

Instead of saying that "Artists are a weird breed" how about trying to have a little more empathy with your fellow human beings? Making art is often our livelihood, you'd also think it was a big deal if a random person just came to your office and stole the budgeting spreadsheet you've been working in for the entire week, then presented it to your boss and got paid for that

Updated by anonymous