Topic: "Do we have a tag for that" thread

Genjar

Former Staff

SnowWolf said:
Honestly, I hate the idea of 'desolate' for that. White... technically correct, desolate images suggest a lack of life, while the ocean.. well, maybe I'm biased, but water is life.

Noted. Will untag those once we figure out a better replacement.

Oh, I just found rocky shore -- this is the thing.

Maybe it should be... well... rocky_shore?

Exactly what I was thinking of using, if it turned out that there's no existing tag for it. ...still surprised that there isn't one.

beach sand turns up about 6.5K results...
beach -sand turns up about 8K. Yuck.

And that's after I finished tagging about 1.5K beach posts with sand.
In general, these are poorly tagged. For instance: beach -detailed_background - about 8K posts. And nearly all of them have detailed backgrounds.

And I remember tagging beach -outside -inside at one point, but now that's up to ~2.5K posts too.

A lot of these are...

post #1597108 post #1593002 - ambiguously on sand, with only some "beach like trappings"
post #1592253 post #1590717 - bikini shots outside?
post #1589071 post #1588091 - in water, with no beach visible.

Yep. Tried to add various beach-related tags today, but having posts such as those mixed in slows down tag scripting a lot.

The first group at least heavily implies that they're on a beach, thanks to parasols and such. I suppose it could be argued that they're in a desert, or in some cases, in a large sandbox. And that does bring up the problem with the seaside implication again: it's not really taggable as seaside if there's no water at all...

The second group is definitely mistagged. Just because they're wearing skimpy clothing, doesn't mean that they're necessarily on a beach.

The third group does imply shore, since there's water shallow enough to stand in. So I can see why those get tagged as such.

Edit: Reworked the beach wiki, since the old one was just a wikipedia definition and useless for tagging. Any objections about the new version?

Edit-2: Also greatly expanded the existing seascape tag while at it.

Updated by anonymous