Topic: Wonky crosses, Hugo Boss, and Achtung Panzerwaffles

UPDATE 6/7/2020: Tag group discussion starts here.

Posts on this site about Germany in World War II often attract some spirited debates. Specifically, post #1592564 sparked a back-and-forth about whether images featuring the Wehrmacht should be tagged 'Nazi' by default, the argument being the Nazis ran the government, ergo, the Wehrmacht was, by association, a Nazi institution.

I'll leave the philosophical questions of what is Nazism to the flame warriors; in terms of tagging integrity, I think a formal implication is a mistake. Yes, the Wehrmacht used the swastika et al. in its uniforms and swore the Hitler Oath, but it was not inherently political the way the SS was: there were plenty of Nazi sympathizers in the Wehrmacht's ranks, but being a Nazi wasn't a requirement for recruitment. And yet as of this writing, two posts of Rommel (pretty much the poster boy of Not All Germans Were Nazis after Stauffenberg) is tagged 'nazi' without a swastika even present.

So, just as swastika itself is not implicated to nazi, I don't think implicating wehrmacht would be correct for categorization, and would make such tagging less accurate. I submit this thread for consensus on the issue, and as a public brainstorm for any other hair-splitting we want to do re. the Third Reich.

Updated