Topic: "Do we have a tag for that" thread

SnowWolf

Former Staff

Genjar said:
Noted. Will untag those once we figure out a better replacement.

Just my two cents though :)

Exactly what I was thinking of using, if it turned out that there's no existing tag for it. ...still surprised that there isn't one.

It might be that there isn't an obvious... word for it. People don't usually say "Let's go to the Rocky Shore" ... they talk about going to the beach, even if the beach is covered in stones and it's cold outside.

I'd presume, anyway.

I don't know. I grew up in Hawaii. c_c

The only beach-alternative word we have is like... black sand beach. otherwise itttsss... hm. We don't really have a word for where there's only rocks. just that the beach has eroded away.

And that's after I finished tagging about 1.5K beach posts with sand.

Aw geeze. o_o

In general, these are poorly tagged. For instance: beach -detailed_background - about 8K posts. And nearly all of them have detailed backgrounds.

Yeah :(

And next to no one tags amazing_background which probably my favorite tag. c_c

And I remember tagging beach -outside -inside at one point, but now that's up to ~2.5K posts too.

To be fair, that one ought to be an implication. If you can see a beach, 99.99% of cases, it's outside.

Yep. Tried to add various beach-related tags today, but having posts such as those mixed in slows down tag scripting a lot.

Just to make sure, you DO have an image-zoom addon like Imagus installed yeah? helps a whole lot in eyeballing thumbnails. Still doesn't fix it, though. :(

The first group at least heavily implies that they're on a beach, thanks to parasols and such. I suppose it could be argued that they're in a desert, or in some cases, in a large sandbox. And that does bring up the problem with the seaside implication again: it's not really taggable as seaside if there's no water at all...

(Do we have enough here to justify starting a new thread to talk about all this?)

I agree about the first groun -- tag what you see says that that's a beach. but there's no seaside involved.

...actually...

seaside -beach hasss.. about 650 pictures.

I see:

Beaches.

post #1598500 - I'd call this a tropical/beach thematic backgroup

post #1587450 - In the water

post #1583797 post #1548443 - this seems to take place at a dock or pier of some sort.

post #1599577 post #1553902 - why is this tagged seaside??

Which leads me to another thought.. pier is ALIASED to seaside. That should be undone. c_c

....I also found the thing I was looking for earlier. It was that beaches can happen at lakes, thus that beach -> seaside was inaccurate. post #268818 was an example.

The second group is definitely mistagged. Just because they're wearing skimpy clothing, doesn't mean that they're necessarily on a beach.

The third group does imply shore, since there's water shallow enough to stand in. So I can see why those get tagged as such.

for the third.. I agree. and, it does kind of.. imply. Just like the people on the sand with no water.

But it could also be a river or a lake.

Edit: Reworked the beach wiki, since the old one was just a wikipedia definition and useless for tagging. Any objections about the new version?

I like it! :D

Hmmmm...

So.. I'm thinking...

Seaside SHOULD be done away with. Aliased to something that generally means "hey, this takes place near a body of water"... not just ones that take place near salty-water of significant size.

My brain is not working tonight... so I"m not coming up with anything more... specific.

but I thiiiink we can do this with without ... drastically retagging everything. I mean, there are a lot of tags missing on pictures, and some messy tags. But I don't think there's any huge "Eliminate Tag A, convert it into Tag X and Tag Y" situations that would happen with this...

let's see... collecting some random water-related tags here...

river - 1337
riverbank - 3 (this, while misspelled, might not be a bad tag to keep around ... though... it probably has near 100% overlap with 'river' so maybe not.)

rocky_shore - 82 and growing ;)
shore - 78 and... probably growing too?
shoreline - 7
seashore - 3
sea_shore - 1
shore_line - 1

pond - 536
Steam has been aliased to creek - 329 posts.
lake - 1177
lakeside - 4

seabed - 9
seaside - 15197
sea - 6615
seascape - 275
waterscape - 55

waterfall - 1933
hot_spring - 900
canal - 7

Yep. them's a list of tags.

Updated by anonymous