Topic: "Do we have a tag for that" thread

Genjar

Former Staff

SnowWolf said:
It might be that there isn't an obvious... word for it. People don't usually say "Let's go to the Rocky Shore" ... they talk about going to the beach, even if the beach is covered in stones and it's cold outside.

'Going to the beach' usually implies that there'll be sand. If someone invited me to a beach and it turned out to be full of rocks, I'd be quite confused.
When heading to rockier shores, people generally just say why they're going there: "I'm going fishing" or "I'm going bird-watching", etc.

Regardless, it's tagged as rocky_shore now. Not quite sure about some of the posts, it's sometimes hard to tell if it's a shore or just a large rock jutting out of the water.

And next to no one tags amazing_background which probably my favorite tag. c_c

I never know when to tag that. Posts like post #1399244, etc: "This is detailed, but is it detailed enough to be tagged as 'amazing'? Ehh.."

To be fair, that one ought to be an implication. If you can see a beach, 99.99% of cases, it's outside.

beach inside finds a not-insignificant number of posts. Mostly of windows overlooking a beach. So it'll have to be tagged manually, unfortunately.

Just to make sure, you DO have an image-zoom addon like Imagus installed yeah?

Used to, but they were too slow. Might reinstall one as a backup, but usually I just crank the browser zoom up to 300% or so, which makes the thumbs easy to see.

seaside -beach hasss.. about 650 pictures.

I think someone mass-tagged all seaside posts as beach at one point. So long ago that it's far too late to slap them for it now.

Seaside SHOULD be done away with. Aliased to something that generally means "hey, this takes place near a body of water"... not just ones that take place near salty-water of significant size.

Aliasing it to shore should work. Though that'd require some existing aliases/implications to be moved around, and that's unlikely to happen. I'm still waiting for some of the years old ones to be fixed, so I can get back to work on those (slime_girl, googirl, gooboy, slime_monster -> goo_creature instead of goo).

riverbank - 3 (this, while misspelled, might not be a bad tag to keep around ... though... it probably has near 100% overlap with 'river' so maybe not.)

If we use shore instead of seaside, that should work for rivers too. 'river' + 'shore' = riverbank. And yeah, river doesn't seem taggable if there's no visible bank, so it's pointless.

shoreline - 7
seashore - 3
sea_shore - 1
shore_line - 1

Manually merged into shore, I'd say. Too rare for aliases.

lakeside - 4

'lake' + 'shore'

seabed - 9

Seems useful, should be tagged more. Underwater doesn't usually depict the seabed, so it's worth a tag.

A few more additions to the 'bodies of water' tag list:
bay - 30 (though mostly used as a color tag)
lagoon - 20
fjord - 15
cove - 9

Updated by anonymous