Topic: "Do we have a tag for that" thread

Genjar said:
'Going to the beach' usually implies that there'll be sand. If someone invited me to a beach and it turned out to be full of rocks, I'd be quite confused.

True! Unless.... it's just part of living in the area. If I mention going to the dam, everyone around here knows what I mean, I don't have to clarify it by name or that it's a big earthen dam or anything like that.

When heading to rockier shores, people generally just say why they're going there: "I'm going fishing" or "I'm going bird-watching", etc.

I mean, even beaches-with-sand come in a lot of different shapes and sizes.

Man, now I'm homesick...

Anyway, I dunno. It was always "the beach".

Regardless, it's tagged as rocky_shore now. Not quite sure about some of the posts, it's sometimes hard to tell if it's a shore or just a large rock jutting out of the water.

Maybe it oughta be something like "beach_rocks" but everything I come up with sounds like... well, really dumb. Or overly complicated "Tidal Rocks" or whatever.

I think something could be a sandy beach and a rocky_shore at the same time.

Maybe we should try and distinguish between a pebbley beach and a beach with rocks?

I never know when to tag that. Posts like post #1399244, etc: "This is detailed, but is it detailed enough to be tagged as 'amazing'? Ehh.."

I know what you mean :) I'd say for that one... not so much, It adds tons to the atmosphere... but it's more ambience than anything.

beach inside finds a not-insignificant number of posts. Mostly of windows overlooking a beach. So it'll have to be tagged manually, unfortunately.

Somehow, I overlooked this possibility, no pun intended.

Used to, but they were too slow. Might reinstall one as a backup, but usually I just crank the browser zoom up to 300% or so, which makes the thumbs easy to see.

Well, dunno what browser you use, but Imagus works pretty smoothly for me. Browser zoom is probably pretty damn effective too, though. :)

I think someone mass-tagged all seaside posts as beach at one point. So long ago that it's far too late to slap them for it now.

Well they... ... ugh. They tried.

Aliasing it to shore should work. Though that'd require some existing aliases/implications to be moved around, and that's unlikely to happen.
I'm still waiting for some of the years old ones to be fixed, so I can get back to work on those (slime_girl, googirl, gooboy, slime_monster -> goo_creature instead of goo).

Yeah.... c_c

If we use shore instead of seaside, that should work for rivers too. 'river' + 'shore' = riverbank. And yeah, river doesn't seem taggable if there's no visible bank, so it's pointless.

Technically a bank and a shore are differnet things, but, yeah, no.

I like shore though--it's multipurpose :D

Manually merged into shore, I'd say. Too rare for aliases.

I was mostly looking for a list of "what do people tag".. that said, I agree and disagree -- depending on what we come up with in the end, we might want aliases for stupid proofing. But probably not.

Seems useful, should be tagged more. Underwater doesn't usually depict the seabed, so it's worth a tag.

Completly agreed-- hmm.. I know that a seabed can have unique-sea-only features... but do lakes have distinctly lake-ish features? and is there a word that covers both sea-bed and lake-bed and river-bed etc? Maybe they shoudl all be aliased into ocean/sea bed... simplicity rather then specificity.

A few more additions to the 'bodies of water' tag list:
bay - 30 (though mostly used as a color tag)

Oh yeah... there was a whole slew of horsey coat "things" I found once.... yet somehow palomino only has 20 posts.

(on a side note, what DO we think of words for specific coat colors and patterns? Bay (brown with dark nose/socks) siamese (white/cream with brown/black color points), Palomino (pale brown with white socks/markings and a light yellow mane), merle (gray with erratic black speckles) and the like? )

I stil lfeel like there are more watery words we're not thinking of.. hmmm....

Updated by anonymous