Topic: Tag Alias: <3 -> heart

Dyrone said:
No, this is probably the least-correct idea of all of them. Did you read my original post? The amount of times you see an ACTUAL HEART vs. a heart symbol is negligible...it practically never happens.

I would say otherwise. There is definitely more posts under the 80000 that got mistagged and there is bound to be more in the future, considering the change from <3 --> heart will make new users less likely to notice its difference with heart_(organ).

The standard heart tag should go to the symbol because of it's CRUSHING numbers advantage.

I'm actually agreeing with everyone on changing <3 --> heart. I said dealias heart<3 (in that order) because it is currently aliased that way and my subsequent alias suggestions would break if I didn't state that first.

I mean lets say you have an animal...lets call it a snurf...and it's red. Then one out of every 1,000 snurfs is blue...do you start calling the all the other snurfs "red snurfs" because there's a blue one every once in a while? NO...you call that freakish blue snurf a "blue snurf" and you keep on calling the rest of the snurfs just "snurfs"!

A "snurf" would still be called a snurf regardless of their color because their physical appearance would generally be the same. However, a vague tag like "heart" can mean either the symbol or the organ and having a specific tag for both (heart_symbol & heart_(organ)) does not seem like a bad idea.

Another example would be the tag organ itself (albeit very undertagged). Organ can mean the internal organs or the musical instrument. Having separate and specific tags to distinguish both of them would be better, like entrails and organ_(instrument).

Disambiguation is a joke...we don't need to run to disambiguation every time...when there is literally one heart_(organ) out of every THOUSAND heart posts you're making A LOT of disambiguation work for a very very rare occurrence. It makes no sense whatsoever.

We have been using disambiguation for the longest time now and it has been very useful when trying to differentiate between vague terms/tags. Having a disambiguation would let people know that they have to be more specific and actually check the wiki for the correct tags.

As opposed to just having heart mean heart symbols, because frankly when I first posted
post #1000027 which was mentioned in forum #259945,

I tagged heart with the assumption that it would be the organ and instead it got aliased to <3, causing a mistag that I did not catch.

Updated by anonymous