Topic: Tag Alias: <3 -> heart

Dyrone said:
That's kind of the point...present your arguments and dismantle other arguments so when the staff reads this (if ever) they hopefully make the best decision based on the most logical argument.

While I was writing my argument for the previous points, I realize that all of my refutations are just me repeating myself. But if you want to read it, here it is.

Dyrone said:
I think black sheep and blue lobsters would like a word with you. We change animal's names ALL THE TIME based on color. Get outta here.

I don't quite get you... but that's not the point. I'm saying that heart in itself as a tag is too simple to describe its use as a symbol tag. A lot of newcomers are going to tag this wrongly (for the organ) and not realize it because it's now called heart as opposed to the old and more obvious <3.

But since <3 is going to be disused, all I'm proposing is having a specific tag to replace it, i.e. heart_symbol.

Again...you are ignoring the numbers involved here...I guess maybe that's because that's the only way your arguement works?

(Repeating myself here)
That's the point, I'm saying otherwise. Currently the 100 posts on heart_(organ) are the ones that were correctly tagged/fixed. There is definitely more posts under the 80000 that got mistagged and having a vaguer heart tag would make new users less aware of the other.

Having a disambiguation will make it stand out more to taggers. They will be like "Hey, I tagged heart and why did it become this? heart_(disambiguation)" and click on the disambiguation wiki to see what's wrong.

I never said it wasn't useful I said "we don't need to run to disambiguation every time". My point is it's overused. It should only be used when the tags are relatively even...why is this hard to understand? If a tag is 99.9% of the time going to go a certain way then it's stupid to disambiguate it...it just clogs up the amount of posts that require disambiguation and devalues disambiguation as a whole because people aren't going to do the work of disambiguation if they notice that most of it is stupid, needless busywork.

Image you are a person who actually takes the time to disambiguate (here's where you say "I do dismbiguate" and I say to that...how many posts have you actually disambiguated? I'm guessing a laughably small amount)...and "heart_(disambiguation)" is a tag...this is going to be your experience with that: "heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol again. heart_(disambiguation)? It's the symbol AGAIN. heart_(disambiguation)? IT'S THE SYMBOL AGAIN. heart_(disambiguation)? IT'S THE FREAKIN SYMBOL AGAIN.

That will happen roughly 800 times before a heart_(organ) post will pop up in a paltry attempt to justify the existence of that (disambigution) suffix.

Then we need to inform them about it. As taggers become more experienced in tagging, they should realize that a disambiguation needs them to choose a more specific tag.

If someone constantly tags something as a disambiguation and is not bothered to read what it means, a quick message would tell them to be more specific and to stop repeating that mistake over and over again.

We are not here to force our opinions on one another, but rather to discuss which method is better for general tagging on the site.

So be it? Did you read what I said before? You're only saying "so be it" because you have ZERO plans to put in the massive amount of work that your proposal would generate. That's like saying "we're no longer using buckets to gather these apples...and if it's a lot harder to transport them back to the truck...then so be it! I'll be sitting on the porch smoking my pipe and watching the clouds if anyone needs me." That's you right now.

I appreciate that you have helped the site in clearing out some of the disambiguation tags and I will personally look over the new heart_(disambiguation) if it becomes a thing.

Updated by anonymous