Topic: Tag Alias: cyan_fur -> blue_fur

(posting to this thread as it seems to be the main cyan_*→blue_* thread)

Genjar said:
Those were never tagged consistently. What little of it there was, it was only because we spent way too much time sorting them under the proper tags.

So let's not undo it. Cyan was barely tagged for fur anyway: nine times out of ten, those got tagged as blue_fur. Which we then had to manually fix.

Started today intending to defend cyan (also hoping teal_* tags would alias to cyan_* tags)
Genjar above quoted post has given me pause,
but am interested in manually correcting some blue tags to cyan (where appropriate cyan tag not aliased away)

(Getting a slight headache from thinking of this.
*drinks some water in case summer heat a factor*)

Sorry to restart(?) this debate,
but I feel that cyan is its own color with Wikipedia saying in "RGB (additive) color model, used to create all the colors on a computer ..., cyan is made by mixing equal amounts of green and blue light."
some shades not exactly equal amounts, but roughly equal amounts (see Wikipedia's Shades_of_cyan article, if you want)

Admittedly this is a MINOR issue in the scheme of things,
but one of my concerns is that
teal tags are getting aliased to green tags (two approved)
while cyan tags are getting aliased to blue tags (six approved)
but I consider teal to be a shade of cyan
(teal is included in Wikipedia's
Shades of cyan article. )

with teal being
1) sRGBB (r, g, b) of (0, 128, 128), so green and blue both being 128.
and
2) CMYKH (c, m, y, k) of (100, 0, 0, 50), so teal's cyan being 100.

To be fair in forum #204573 (started as teal_scales → cyan_scales , turned into teal_scales (118) → green_scales, but not yet approved)
with forum text (by Genjar) "Alias to green_scales, as we've already done with other teal_* tags. It gets tagged consistently for posts that fit better under green_* than cyan_*." with one example given being post #265910

While some of the scales (in 265910) are indeed green (at least to my naked eye), using browser's eyedropper (I LOVE EYEDROPPER) feature reveals some of the scales are hexcolor 2EB2B7 and colorhexa.com says 2EB2B7 is "Moderate cyan"

(EDIT: on second thought, would detailed discussion colors of specific upload (in this case: 265910) seems like discussion that should happen in 265910's Respond/comment area?)

- - - (below is optional reading?)

Two quotes below from https://e621.net/forum/show/260210 (Tag Implication: cyan_background -> simple_background )

darryus said:
To be fair, teal is a shade of cyan, in fact, I don't even know why we ever had both of them, teal should have always been aliased to cyan since it's literally just a darker cyan (cyan is 0, 255, 255, and teal is 0, 128, 128,).

Teal is included in Wikipedia's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shades_of_cyan article.

darryus said:
... tags like cyan_fur/hair tags have already been aliased away to blue_fur/hair
and teal_fur got aliased to green_fur, it feels like it's only a matter of time until the rest of 'em get aliased to blue or green.

Currently only two teal aliases have been approved

1) teal_fur (0) green_fur (8846) parasprite 2 years ago "Link" (forum link is to this thread of "Tag Alias: cyan_fur -> blue_fur")
and
2) teal_tail (0) green_tail (789)

with the teal-tail alias Reason being simply "Since teal_fur is aliased to green_fur."

Updated by anonymous