PSA: How to report bad behavior

In category: General

This is a short PSA on how to report bad behavior that might be encountered on our pages, and how you can report it to staff so that we can clean it up.
We need your help for keeping the place clean because we're currently 11 admins for roughly 360,000 users. This means for every 32,000 users we have about 1 admin.
This means unless something is reported we're virtually unable to find it on our own.

Without further ado:

Table of Contents:


Reporting Posts / Flagging Posts for Deletion

There are two options to report posts, both with different mindsets. If you believe the post itself is bad and might require deletion you will want to flag it for deletion. If the post is the source of abuse but is otherwise fine you will want to report it.

To report a post simply click "Report" on the left side of the image (located under "Options"). Once the new page opens the fitting reason, then give us some more information to help us see what you're seeing.

To flag a post for deletion click "Flag for Deletion" instead, also located under "Options" on the left side of the image.

Please note that the reasons available are carefully selected. If the reason you'd like to report/flag the post for is not listed in either of the two tools consider reporting the user itself instead (see below on how to do that). There might also some more common reasons you shouldn't flag/report a post for, you can find those reasons below as well.

Good reasons to report for:

  • The description is insulting
  • The description has been edited to be nonsensical
  • The image contains a virus/malware
  • The source links to a virus/malware
  • The notes are being used for something bad
    • Notes are generally for translations into English and to denote characters in images with many characters. If you see notes used for other things chances are it's worth reporting them.
  • Someone is repeatedly adding bad tags / removing good tags / using the tags to insult someone

Good reasons to flag for:

  • There is a better version of this post on e621
    • Flag it for inferior / duplicate version of the better version (add the better version's post ID into the field)
  • The file is corrupt / can't be displayed
  • The image is DNP / Paid content
  • The image is a trace of another image
  • The image has been deleted before
  • The image contains real life pornography / real life nudity

What not to flag / report for:

  • posts that are low quality
  • posts that are irrelevant to our page (human only, photographs of things that aren't traditional art, etc)
    • Both of those are not worth to be reported because our moderation team will look at those images sooner or later. Please let us deal with the moderation queue at our own leisure, the reporting tools are only for things that are more urgent and can't wait
      • Things that can't wait are, for example, RL porn, DNP content, paid content, images containing viruses. All of those are valid report / FFD reasons.
  • posts that offend you
    • if content inside an image itself offends you please just blacklist it instead
  • posts you own that you wish to have deleted from e621
    • Are you the character owner, commissioner, or artist of something and want it deleted? You must Takedown request instead!

Further Reading:


Reporting Comments, forum posts, or blips

On the offending comment, forum post, or blip click the "Report" button at the bottom of it. Then fill in the reason and hit "Submit Complaint".
Please be as descriptive as possible with the reason given. The better you explain the situation the easier we have it to assess the information you provide us.

Good reasons to report:

  • harassment
    • stalking other users, targeting users with down votes, etc are all reportable offenses that fall under this
  • insulting other users
    • racist insults, insults against a user's sexuality, insulting a user's nationality, etc are all worth reporting
  • being creepy
  • spam
  • trolling
  • generally being a douche to other users

What not to report for:

  • Trivial things that are older than a month are rarely given a record. Unless the thing they're doing is incredibly harmful (linking to malware, threats of murder, doxxing, anything actually illegal under US law code, etc) we usually do not bother with them after they're older than a month
    • this means if someone was a bit creepy 2 months ago, and hasn't been creepy again since then, we assume they grew as a person and realized it's creepy on their own
    • if you're unsure of it's severity report it anyway and we'll have a look

Further Reading:


Reporting bad tagging

Found someone who is constantly removing valid tags, or adding invalid tags to images, or is constantly changing tags on the same image for no rhyme or reason?

If the tagging abuse is contained within a single image (or only a few images) report the image for the reason "Tagging Abuse" and explain what he's doing on the image. If he's doing that one more than one image be sure to link the other images in the reason as well.

If the tagging abuse is spread over many images report the user directly instead. To do so open the user's profile page and click "Report User". On the newly opening page give us as much information on what he's doing, and where, as you can so we can find the abuse.

Please note that it's also against the rules to upload images with less than 4 valid tags. If you find someone uploading something with less than 4 valid tags please report them!

Good things to report:

  • someone repeatedly removing valid tags, or adding invalid tags
  • different people repeatedly changing tag around on a single post (we call this a tag war)
  • someone removing all tags from any image
    • this is a very bad thing to do and worth reporting any time you see it
  • someone using tags to insult or call out another person
  • A user is not uploading their art with 4 valid tags or more
  • A user is incorrectly setting the rating on an image

Things to not report:

  • singular mistags
    • if someone mistagged something once we generally handwave it, everyone makes mistakes sometimes after all
  • typos
    • eveyrone maks tyopes
  • not tagging something
    • not tagging something is not against the rules, only removing valid tags or adding the wrong tags is against the rules

Further Reading:


Reporting bad wiki pages

If you find a wiki page that is insulting, has been edited to contain incorrect information, vandalized, or should not exist for other reasons, you can report it by clicking "Report" at the top of the wiki page.

If you're unsure whether a wiki page is worth reporting have a look at the forum for any recent discussion on the topic. For best results search the title of the page on the forum itself.
You can also check the history of any given wiki page by clicking "History" at the top of the page. That will allow you to see who edited the wiki with what changes. It also allows you to directly compare different versions of the page and have the changes highlighted for you.


How to find out if something has already been reported, or even been dealt with

Is a comment already a bit older? Maybe you aren't sure if it has already been dealt with? Check the user's record history and you can easily see if the person has already had the pleasure of gaining negative admin attention.
To find the person's user records go to their user profile and click the "List" besides "Record" in the upper right corner of their profile. This will allow you to view their currently active records, and all records will have a source in them telling you what earned them that record.
Another option is to use our general records list and to filter it by the user's account ID (the username does not work). To find the ID simply copy the number from the user's profile URL. Paste that number into the "User" field of the search options.


Got any Feedback? Please leave it below!


It'd be great if you could elaborate on reporting against target annoyance/harassment (aka people purposefully downvoting posts/comments on your posts out of spite, people constantly being snide in comments deliberately against one specific user, etc etc)

I know now that I myself asked for it personally, but beforehand I didn't know if it warranted an intervention or was serious enough to deserve reporting. Perhaps noting how a user can report this and that it is indeed worth intervening if it feels someone is being personally slighted against.


The tricky part with reporting those who downvote comments or posts is that unless it is explicitly stated by who is doing it, the only ones who can really find out are staff...


Queen_Tyr'ahnee said:
The tricky part with reporting those who downvote comments or posts is that unless it is explicitly stated by who is doing it, the only ones who can really find out are staff...

Fair enough really.

Maybe we can still have a minor note of it being an option for a user to report if they feel they're being actively targeted? Like just a small, brief footnote of "if you think this is happening, report it"

Idk, giving it as an option I feel may help put people at ease as they know they can get help from user(s) targeting them specifically. But eh, perhaps that's a bit much.


DiceLovesBeingBlown said:
It'd be great if you could elaborate on reporting against target annoyance/harassment (aka people purposefully downvoting posts/comments on your posts out of spite, people constantly being snide in comments deliberately against one specific user, etc etc)

I know now that I myself asked for it personally, but beforehand I didn't know if it warranted an intervention or was serious enough to deserve reporting. Perhaps noting how a user can report this and that it is indeed worth intervening if it feels someone is being personally slighted against.

Added some good reasons to report to all categories (where I could think of widely applicable things at least). Harassment through targeted downvotes is listed as example now.


Giving an image an incorrect rating is against the rules, right? You should probably mention that in the bad tagging section.

DiceLovesBeingBlown said:
Fair enough really.

Maybe we can still have a minor note of it being an option for a user to report if they feel they're being actively targeted? Like just a small, brief footnote of "if you think this is happening, report it"

Idk, giving it as an option I feel may help put people at ease as they know they can get help from user(s) targeting them specifically. But eh, perhaps that's a bit much.

I don't think there's currently a way to report something without a report target and in cases like downvoting you won't know who's doing it since it's anonymous to average users, currently you'd have to message an admin if you think someone is downvote spamming you.


NotMeNotYou said:
Added some good reasons to report to all categories (where I could think of widely applicable things at least). Harassment through targeted downvotes is listed as example now.

Ah good, thank you! I appreciate it.


darryus said:
Giving an image an incorrect rating is against the rules, right? You should probably mention that in the bad tagging section.

I don't think there's currently a way to report something without a report target and in cases like downvoting you won't know who's doing it since it's anonymous to average users, currently you'd have to message an admin if you think someone is downvote spamming you.

Report any of the comments or posts that you suspect of being targeted. You can also report your own comments (I think) so that should work in all cases Nope, that doesn't work, your best bet will be to message one of us directly.

Also good point about the rating, I'll add that.


NotMeNotYou said:

Reporting bad tagging

  • different people repeatedly changing posts around on a single tag (we call this a tag war)

Are you sure that you don't mean 'tags around on a single post'?


MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Are you sure that you don't mean 'tags around on a single post'?

FUCKixed, thank you.


Queen_Tyr'ahnee said:
The tricky part with reporting those who downvote comments or posts is that unless it is explicitly stated by who is doing it, the only ones who can really find out are staff...

Here's an idea. I'm not sure if it's good or not, but see what you think:

  • Provide a 'voting stats' page which generates stats on how a particular user has voted.
  • This would use 'anonymized' usernames (for example, sort the list of voted-on users by total points ((-1 * downvotes)+upvotes of that user), and show the first item in that list as user 'A', second 'B', etc.. User profiles also wouldn't be linked.
  • The following tables could be shown:
    • Sum of votes ((-1 * downvotes)+upvotes) made on each $ANONYMIZED_USER (all their comments)
    • Sum of votes ((-1 * downvotes)+upvotes) made on each $ANONYMIZED_USER (all their uploaded posts)
  • Table format: $SUMVOTES $ANONYMISED_USER
  • Sort each table by the sum of votes, descending, so that cases of extreme upvoting or downvoting are easy to identify.
  • In a broad sense, this is like a histogram which could help identifying 'suspicious' accounts (upvote/downvote abuse)

IMO this could allow some transparency for ordinary users, with the anonymization preventing further cultivation of conflicts.

For admins the usernames could be de-anonymized and linked to profiles, unless something like that already exists..?


  • NotMeNotYou said:
    • generally being a douche to other users

    I feel that if this point was a bit less vague it could prevent some misreporting. A lot of the forum regulars tend to be quite blunt and sarcastic, so new users might be more inclined to report them not by breaking any rules but just for the fact that they said something in a way the user dislikes

    Unless of course one of the ideas behind this PSA was discouraging that kind of behaviour from veteran users, but in that case there would be probably clearer ways of communicating that.

    Also

  • NotMeNotYou said:
    • this means if someone was a bit creepy 2 months ago, and hasn't been creepy against since then, we assume they grew as a person and realized it's creepy on their own

    I believe "against" was supposed to be "again" in this line


    savageorange said:

    Here's an idea. I'm not sure if it's good or not, but see what you think:

    • Provide a 'voting stats' page which generates stats on how a particular user has voted.
    • This would use 'anonymized' usernames (for example, sort the list of voted-on users by total points ((-1 * downvotes)+upvotes of that user), and show the first item in that list as user 'A', second 'B', etc.. User profiles also wouldn't be linked.
    • The following tables could be shown:
      • Sum of votes ((-1 * downvotes)+upvotes) made on each $ANONYMIZED_USER (all their comments)
      • Sum of votes ((-1 * downvotes)+upvotes) made on each $ANONYMIZED_USER (all their uploaded posts)
    • Table format: $SUMVOTES $ANONYMISED_USER
    • Sort each table by the sum of votes, descending, so that cases of extreme upvoting or downvoting are easy to identify.
    • In a broad sense, this is like a histogram which could help identifying 'suspicious' accounts (upvote/downvote abuse)

    IMO this could allow some transparency for ordinary users, with the anonymization preventing further cultivation of conflicts.

    For admins the usernames could be de-anonymized and linked to profiles, unless something like that already exists..?

    Even with anonymity, if this information was available to the public for only an hour, it would change e621's climate in ways I doubt it could ever fully recover from.

    sdrawkcaB
    Privileged
    1 month ago
    16:10 ambiguous_gender belt blue_background blue_eyes blue_hair chain clothed clothing coffin duo eyebrows fully_clothed grey_background hair hair_over_eye harness headphones hi_res human larger_male looking_away male mammal mask megami_tensei minato_arisato monster music_player not_furry open_mouth pants persona persona_(species) portrait running school_uniform shirt short_hair side_view simple_background size_difference smaller_male smoke teenager teeth thanatos three-quarter_portrait uniform unknown_artist url video_games wallpaper widescreen young

Rating: Safe
Score: 15
User: ErosThanatos
Date: February 19, 2013

    NotMeNotYou said:
    We need your help for keeping the place clean because we're currently 11 admins for roughly 360,000 users. This means for every 32,000 users we have about 1 admin.

    Out of curiosity, how many users are there on this site that only uses their account to favorite posts? By this I mean that their stats are basically zero on everything, but have at least 50 favorites to show that they have been using their account.


    Since when we're in the dawning eve of proxikiddies, let's say the members report them and you guys ban them. What's to stop little miss can't-be-wrong and little mister-always-right when they pull out a proxy account? Does this site have a sort tor or proxy blocking algorithm? And what's the offense for using proxy accounts to evade a ban on this site?


    MrKranberryJam69 said:
    Since when we're in the dawning eve of proxikiddies, let's say the members report them and you guys ban them. What's to stop little miss can't-be-wrong and little mister-always-right when they pull out a proxy account? Does this site have a sort tor or proxy blocking algorithm? And what's the offense for using proxy accounts to evade a ban on this site?

    I'm think e6 just has the IPs of a lot of exit nodes straight up blocked.


    darryus said:
    I'm think e6 just has the IPs of a lot of exit nodes straight up blocked.

    I've noticed a lot of sites are doing, and have done, that recently. To make a personal army of proxy alts to cause mischief is a bit absurd. Especially on a graphic art site.


    MrKranberryJam69 said:
    I've noticed a lot of sites are doing, and have done, that recently. To make a personal army of proxy alts to cause mischief is a bit absurd. Especially on a graphic art site.

    (I don't actually have an answer to you initial question, sorry! Except that ban evaders tend to see their short vacations turned into permanent ones.)

    That said, as for being absurd, it sure is, but some peopel feel a rather ridiculous amount of hate and rage when you tell them that they should stop giving the comments section a regular update about the turgidity of their penis.