Topic: e621 Tag Editor Plus - web browser tool for faster and easier tag edits

e621 Tag Editor Plus

Official site

I found tag editing on e621 to be a pain (you have to memorize the correct tags, when to use them, watch out for typos...), so I decided to create a web browser tool that hopefully makes it easier and faster to do.

Watch it in action

In a hurry? Here's a short GIF illustrating what the tag editor can do:

https://gfycat.com/UltimateOffensiveClam

Features

• Tag autocompletion
    • As you type, the editor will suggest different tags. For example, you can write pokmorph and it will suggest pokémorph, or closed and it will suggest a bunch of tags with the word closed in them.
  • Wiki snippets
    • The editor will automatically display wiki pages alongside the tags. Makes it easy to check if the tag you're adding is a good fit.
  • Typo detection
    • The editor will warn you if you're adding a tag it doesn't recognize but it will still give you the option to add it if you're sure.
  • Keyboard friendly
    • You can add, remove and save changes to your tags using only the keyboard.
  • Open source
    • The code is freely available under UNLICENSE so do whatever you want with it. It might be a bit messy though.

Installation

The website has the instructions on installing the user script. But in short, you need a web browser extension with support for user scripts, such as Tampermonkey or Greasemonkey.

Notes and drawbacks

• Memory usage
    • The script uses snapshots of e621 tags and wiki pages to provide tag autocompletion and wiki snippets. This consumes some memory, which will be a lot worse if the tag editor can't use local storage due to incognito/private browsing mode; see more below. Keep this in mind if you tend to leave a lot of tabs open.
  • Performance
    • Tag autocompletion can be resource intensive on low-end computers.
  • Note about incognito mode
    • This user script does work with incognito/private browsing mode, but it will consume noticeably more memory and disable some minor features if it can't store and index tag and wiki data. This problem seems to be limited to Firefox at the moment.
  • Crashes on Firefox
    • This might be something related to my environment, but the user script crashes very often on Firefox. If this is happening to you, I'd suggest using a different browser for now.
  • Tag and wiki data
    • e621 Tag Editor Plus only suggests a limited number of tags on e621 (roughly 94,000 out of 560,000 in total) with the aim of keeping the resource usage in check and avoiding bogus tags (eg. typos, extremely specific tags not really used by anyone). The following tags have been included for now:
      • artist, copyright, character and species tags that have been used at least four times
      • general tags that have been used at least 40 times

Issues

If you have any issues, suggestions or questions not listed here or on the web site, feel free to reply here.

Donations

Finally, if you find this tool useful and want to donate, you can send me some bitcoins to 1HN8oqemzQfTdix9f5jFUM628MF2fAZgLz

Updated by Bara-King