The UK will force sites to enlist age verification software or sites will get banned in the UK. Update: They have decided that fining sites is pointless. (Updated: UK government has announced age checks start from 15 July 2019)

In category: Off Topic

So as the title says this is a push on age verification software to stop children from stumbling across porn or NSFW art in the UK it's not going to work but i can understand the want for it.

Mindgeek the owners of Pornhub are creating AgeID which they said they will charge most sites to use and some small blogging sites free usage. This software will allow people to verify their age once and any sites that uses AgeID won't have a prompt to prove age again.

This is only for UK citizens. So no one outside the UK will see a difference unless other countries follow suit.

So my question is will e621 set up their own system or use AgeID if either are not used by e621 this site will get blocked in the UK by The British Board of Film Classification eventually.

I don't want that to happen and any artists in the UK won't want that to happen either. I sincerely hope that e621 won't take the Tumblr path and do a ban of NSFW content as that is no good at all.

If anyone knows some inner workings of this site or is an admin that is aware of the UK situation please reply to this some peace of mind goes along way.


Covargo said:
I sincerely hope that e621 won't take the Tumblr path and do a ban of NSFW content as that is no good at all.

Yeah, there's no chance we're doing that.


I'm pretty sure that was an early April Fools joke.


TheHuskyK9 said:
Yeah, there's no chance we're doing that.

That's nice to know.


It always tickles me a bit when people talk about the staff of the site as if we were some strange cryptids lurking off, unaware of the happenings of the world. <3

Covargo said:
So my question is will e621 set up their own system or use AgeID if either are not used by e621 this site will get blocked in the UK by The British Board of Film Classification eventually.

That said, I am not the admin who can give you an answer to this question, but I'm sure someone else who can will.

I sincerely hope that e621 won't take the Tumblr path and do a ban of NSFW content as that is no good at all.

I am pretty sure that this would be the equivalency of amazon deciding to become a free lending library and not sell anything at all -- strange, bizarre and more than a little improbable.

Tumblr's nsfw ban was monetarily motivated: Advertiser money. That's not our dealio.

If you turn off your add blocker (please do) you'll note that e6's ads are carefully tailored to our furry audience, rather than... your google search history, lol.


Corinthian said:
I'm pretty sure that was an early April Fools joke.

No this is real it's been delay for over a year now but it's dropping in April https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/uk-porn-block-comes-force-14091429


Discord would also be on the chopping block i noticed e621's server.


SnowWolf said:
It always tickles me a bit when people talk about the staff of the site as if we were some strange cryptids lurking off, unaware of the happenings of the world. <3

That said, I am not the admin who can give you an answer to this question, but I'm sure someone else who can will.

I am pretty sure that this would be the equivalency of amazon deciding to become a free lending library and not sell anything at all -- strange, bizarre and more than a little improbable.

Tumblr's nsfw ban was monetarily motivated: Advertiser money. That's not our dealio.

If you turn off your add blocker (please do) you'll note that e6's ads are carefully tailored to our furry audience, rather than... your google search history, lol.

I wasn't poking at e621 staff in that way i am nevous that this site will be banned in the UK. The thought of renting an ageID system won't sound appealing to a website just to get access to the UK at least that's how i'm looking at it.

I have no idea if this site cares to get access to the UK or whether this has been in e621's sights for a while.

It will depend whether i must use a VPN, TOR to visit here or maybe i don't need to worry about it.


I would start with a free VPN and work your way up from there if you need to.

I will research it and see if there are other ways to break it, such as using an alternate DNS provider.


Out of curiosity, how would this work? Like, how do you check the age of an anonymous person?


MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Out of curiosity, how would this work? Like, how do you check the age of an anonymous person?

They stop being anonymous when you age verify them. Which is why this is controversial. Thankfully this doesn't apply to us, and they can block our site if they really do so deem it a requirement. We're not going to enforce age checks on UK residents through a central service.


Oh look at that, EU politicians being the thin-skinned troglodytes as usual. This will solve nothing.


Lance_Armstrong said:
I would start with a free VPN and work your way up from there if you need to.

I will research it and see if there are other ways to break it, such as using an alternate DNS provider.

Cyberghost was the only free VPN i knew of but they removed that feature of their sevice.


KiraNoot said:
They stop being anonymous when you age verify them. Which is why this is controversial. Thankfully this doesn't apply to us, and they can block our site if they really do so deem it a requirement. We're not going to enforce age checks on UK residents through a central service.

Article 13 and Article 11 look like they are making head way in the EU parliament wonder what that would mean for this site in the EU.


Covargo said:
Article 13 and Article 11 look like they are making head way in the EU parliament wonder what that would mean for this site in the EU.

From our side, it still doesn't mean anything. We're not EU/UK based, so they don't have jurisdiction over our site.

Every time these come up it's a lot of fear mongering over what it's going to do to e621, but unless it's happening in the US and applicable there, then the answer is that it doesn't impact the site.


KiraNoot said:
From our side, it still doesn't mean anything. We're not EU/UK based, so they don't have jurisdiction over our site.

Artists and fans of this site in the EU will be affected.


Covargo said:
Artists and fans of this site in the EU will be affected.

Sucks to be them, VPNs are a thing and easy to use.

And yes, I'm German, I'll just use a VPN if I have to.


fox_whisper85 said:
Oh look at that, EU politicians being the thin-skinned troglodytes as usual. This will solve nothing.

This is about the UK.


MissChu said:
This is about the UK.

Still applies, politicians only look out for no. 1 and never for others.


fox_whisper85 said:
Still applies, politicians only look out for no. 1 and never for others.

The UK is about as similar to the EU as the US is to the UK. But agreed on most politicians, the average one is happy to use the 'protect the children' excuse.


Corinthian said:
I'm pretty sure that was an early April Fools joke.

The UK has been a joke for quite some time now.


MissChu said:
The UK is about as similar to the EU as the US is to the UK. But agreed on most politicians, the average one is happy to use the 'protect the children' excuse.

And this happens because of "lazy parenting". Nothing more to say.


Covargo said:
Mindgeek the owners of Pornhub are creating AgeID which they said they will charge most sites to use and some small blogging sites free usage. This software will allow people to verify their age once and any sites that uses AgeID won't have a prompt to prove age again.

I'm honestly at a loss as to how anyone can determine a user's age with the smallest degree of certainty without having a) a comprehensive register of basic personal data, like a government's ID database, and b) a way to identify the person at the time that person is accessing their service. I doubt any government is willing to share their citizens' ID database unless you're a mega-corporation, and, to the best of my knowledge, the only way to verify one's identity at time of access would be biometrics, and current consumer-level cellphone cameras and such can't reliably do that. Most fingerprint scanners can be foiled with a simple cast of one's finger. God knows how many of them might be foiled by just a photograph of one's hand.

KiraNoot said:
Every time these come up it's a lot of fear mongering over what it's going to do to e621, but unless it's happening in the US and applicable there, then the answer is that it doesn't impact the site.

Speaking of which, hasn't SESTA/FOSTA come into effect on January 1st? From my understanding, it kills section 230 ded, so juridical responsibility for illegal material falls to the host now, not the uploader. It might not affect e621 now, but if the USA were to pass a law banning loli or somesuch, the lack of protection once provided by section 230 would mean big trouble, wouldn't it?


Covargo said:
Artists and fans of this site in the EU will be affected.

That's not our fault, they should direct their distaste towards the people who introduced and passed the law.


TheHuskyK9 said:
That's not our fault, they should direct their distaste towards the people who introduced and passed the law.

But what if the AgeID system becomes the new 'normal' and is accepted by the general populace of these countries? If this occurs, people may blame sites who do not comply with the system by making it so they are unable to use said sites via 'normal' means.

Yes, using a VPN isn't all that difficult, but people can complain over the most minor of inconveniences. Also, if VPNs are seen as a simple way to bypass the law, they themselves may be targeted by lawmakers in the future.


TheHuskyK9 said:
That's not our fault, they should direct their distaste towards the people who introduced and passed the law.

It's just a shame anyway i've messed around with Tor and i think it's in a position to bypass the block when it comes. I've tested websites blocked in the UK/EU because of GDPR that i can now get on with no trouble.


OneMoreAnonymous said:
I'm honestly at a loss as to how anyone can determine a user's age with the smallest degree of certainty without having a) a comprehensive register of basic personal data, like a government's ID database, and b) a way to identify the person at the time that person is accessing their service. I doubt any government is willing to share their citizens' ID database unless you're a mega-corporation, and, to the best of my knowledge, the only way to verify one's identity at time of access would be biometrics, and current consumer-level cellphone cameras and such can't reliably do that. Most fingerprint scanners can be foiled with a simple cast of one's finger. God knows how many of them might be foiled by just a photograph of one's hand.

There is a way in the UK to go into a shop show a drivers licence or even a passport and get a voucher code over the counter to then use once online to verfiy one's Age permanently. (Sites must be usings AgeID)

I don't like the fact that The British Board of Film Classification who will be doing the blocking can block anything deemed adult content 'without court orders' wouldn't be the first time they blocked political sites, ISPs blocked a suicide prevention site at one point.


OneMoreAnonymous said:
Speaking of which, hasn't SESTA/FOSTA come into effect on January 1st? From my understanding, it kills section 230 ded, so juridical responsibility for illegal material falls to the host now, not the uploader. It might not affect e621 now, but if the USA were to pass a law banning loli or somesuch, the lack of protection once provided by section 230 would mean big trouble, wouldn't it?

Wait,so if someone in the US uploads pics of kids masturbating on a public website that means Google is promoting child pornography?
scrap that, Google isn't US-hosted.

what if I link to kids masturbating on a US-hosted site? Would that mean they're promoting child pornography?


cerberusmod_3 said:
And this happens because of "lazy parenting". Nothing more to say.

Government has no place in raising children or dictating that they "know best" when that should be held responsible by parents. But of course, some parents are too damn lazy to care for their own kids. Government needs to stay the hell away from personal responsibility.


All the personal information will be leaked onto the dark-web within hours and this will herald a new era for blackmail.


rhyolite said:
All the personal information will be leaked onto the dark-web within hours and this will herald a new era for blackmail.

That's all this move really aims to do anyways, strip people of their anonymity, so winwin for them.