Topic: Updated: The plan for the UK to have age verification software online has been dropped.

OneMoreAnonymous said:
I'm honestly at a loss as to how anyone can determine a user's age with the smallest degree of certainty without having a) a comprehensive register of basic personal data, like a government's ID database, and b) a way to identify the person at the time that person is accessing their service. I doubt any government is willing to share their citizens' ID database unless you're a mega-corporation, and, to the best of my knowledge, the only way to verify one's identity at time of access would be biometrics, and current consumer-level cellphone cameras and such can't reliably do that. Most fingerprint scanners can be foiled with a simple cast of one's finger. God knows how many of them might be foiled by just a photograph of one's hand.

There is a way in the UK to go into a shop show a drivers licence or even a passport and get a voucher code over the counter to then use once online to verfiy one's Age permanently. (Sites must be usings AgeID)

I don't like the fact that The British Board of Film Classification who will be doing the blocking can block anything deemed adult content 'without court orders' wouldn't be the first time they blocked political sites, ISPs blocked a suicide prevention site at one point.

Updated by anonymous