Topic: Art Question - Cameras and Scanners

Genjar said:
Not in my experience.
I picked up two cheap scanners from a flea market last year. Both worked fine with Windows 7, but I've been unable to get them to work in Windows 10. Haven't found any compatible drivers for them.

Welp!
But still overall my statement should be correct, there was much more issues with device drivers before XP than there is after Vista and in many cases installing Vista drivers on 10 can still work.

CCoyote said:
I use a Canon Digital Rebel T5, which is an entry level DSLR. No special lighting is needed, but I do use Photoshop or similar software to make sure the colors in my photo match the ones on the actual painting. I like to tune the levels, curves, brightness, and contrast, specifically.

Most of my paintings won't fit on the cheap scanners @Mairo recommends.

Oh yeah, at that point DSLR can be better, especially if making sure that photo itself is fine and doing that kind of post processing. Also with some materials that can turn out looking more natural compared to scanner.

However that's still DSLR, not $100-150 Samsung or Lenovo phones with bad cameras that I have seen AlexYorim using. There's slight difference in cheap phone with cheap camera and $400 camera designed only for taking photos and nothing else.

This is also why guidelines do not specifically say that scanner is required, but still most artists do not seem to notice a difference between your cheap smartphone and proper DSLR, let alone thinking that no post processing is required.

Updated by anonymous