Topic: Updated: The plan for the UK to have age verification software online has been dropped.

Pup

Privileged

cerberusmod_3 said:
Sure, because people are likely going to yell at Article 13 than this, since one is worse than the other.

They do that a lot, like with the Net Neutrality thing, bring two laws out at once, one that they know will get a lot of attention and let the other, hopefully, pass without much notice.

Though the blocking of sites has already passed, a few years ago I think. As far as I'm aware it's now Article 13 from the EU, and the AgeID thing from the UK.

I don't like how the government's been anti-privacy in recent years, but it's still pretty easy to combat, laughably so. It's a shame that there has to be something to combat at all though. It always makes me think of less tech-savvy people making laws for the internet without having a clue how to turn a pc on.

Toothywoothy said:
I just hope that this doesn't affect e621. No way am I going to let the government know that I visit here...

Well, they probably already know, or could find out easily. The Investigatory Powers act means ISPs have to log what sites you visit for up to a year, I thought it was six years, so glad to be wrong about that.

Personally, with AgeID, it's not really the government I'm bothered about, it's the possibility for tracking you as a real person, not just an anonymous ID number, across the internet. Also, what happens if MindGeek were to get hacked and all that data gets leaked?

Like I said in an earlier post, you can get around the blocked sites, and presumably the ISP logging, by changing your dns server. Otherwise if some of your favourite sites do end up using AgeID, there's always VPNs.

Getting off topic, and more as extra info related to the tracking stuff. I can't remember the timeframe but it's at least a year, and not sure about non-UK countries, but mobile phone providers log every text you send, the duration of every call as well as who to/from, every time you turn your phone off/on/airplane mode, and each thing has gps co-ordinates of where it occurred, triangulated from the cell towers. It's amazingly useful for the police, who have to pay to access that data, but people often forget just how much information their phone sends out. But once again, it's not so much the logging that's my concern, it's what if they get hacked, it's a lot of data to be out on the internet. Despite that, I still find internet tracking to be more concerning though, but again, VPNs fix most of those concerns.

Updated by anonymous