Topic: Updated: The plan for the UK to have age verification software online has been dropped.

Pup

Privileged

cerberusmod_3 said:
I just used it and yeah, I'm not protected and my fingerprint is unique. Thanks, now am I in trouble?

Sorry for that massive reply earlier, I'd had three hours sleep and, for some reason, thought it'd be a good time to reply. (edit: this one's just as long)

As for being in trouble, it's more if you're ok with any website being able to uniquely identify you, if they wanted to. Then also remember that if you log into a website, they've already identified you. Also, there's a big difference between knowing you as an id number, and knowing who you are IRL.

It's easier on Firefox as Mozilla added more privacy features so that Tor could use their browser. I'm not sure how you'd go about it on chrome, but with Firefox you can enter "about:config" in the url bar, click "accept the risk," then search for "privacy.resistFingerprinting" and double click it to set it to "true." You might also want to set "geo.enabled" to false, to disable geo-location, and "media.peerconnection.enabled" to false to disable an IP address leak when using a VPN.

Addons for Firefox, and maybe Chrome, that also help are:
Privacy badger (helps block trackers)
uBlock Origin (Ad-blocker, also blocks some tracking stuff)
HTTPS Everywhere (Checks if a site has an encrypted version and redirects you)
Decentraleyes (locally stores library files like jQuery, so some Content Delivery Networks can't track you as much)
Google Search Link Fix (Changes links on google to go directly to the site's URL, rather than googles redirect, so google can't tell which link you clicked)

Despite that, the only real way to stop fingerprinting is to disable Javascript, but nearly every site uses it or requires it to work properly. Plus disabling javascript would then also be pretty unique as well, as most have it enabled.

Again, it's important to define what you're trying to defend against, otherwise it'll drive you mad. Defend against everything and you'll end up wearing a tinfoil hat in the middle of a forest. Again, for me, it's big companies holding lots of data about me in one place. ISPs logging every site you visit, google's ridiculous tracking and then Win10, I thought, went a bit too far. I'm not really bothered about fingerprinting as much. But, again, it's what you're comfortable with personally.

I didn't realise until recently that google tracks what you buy on other websites to see if it's advertising was successful. It does that by scanning your gmail for receipts. If you want to know what data they have on you, you can ask for a "google takeout" and download it all. If you google that then it's one of the first links.

With Win10, your pc gets a unique "advertising id," so no matter what you do you can still be tracked. They say they collect "typing data" and their privacy policy allows them to collect most things, including but not limited to your calendar, contacts, email, usage data, browsing history and location. And they say they can share any of your data with any third parties without needing consent, apart from agreeing to the privacy policy. Yeah, no thanks. I should say that some of the things there can be turned off, but others can't.

So yeah, it depends on what you're trying to defend against. Personally I wouldn't worry about fingerprinting. I'd worry about minimising the things that can uniquly identify you IRL, like an ISP's able to link what sites you visit directly to you. Whereas fingerprinting is more linking an id number, it's still you, but they can't link that number to you.

This one ended up massive as well..
It's times like this where I'd like a voting thing for forum comments, to know if people found any of this interesting or helpful, or if I'm being more annoying with the long posts.
I guess even if it helps one or two people be a bit more private, or be more aware of how much tracking goes on, then it's probably worth it.

Updated by anonymous