Topic: Artist Wiki Issue

Kald

Former Staff

As most regulars know, the site's version update left a trail of problems and broken features (both new and old ones) which were supposed to be worked on some time after the update went live.

With the current course of events, it is unlikely to happen.

I know it might be early to raise this issue, as the new staff is still in process of "appropriating" the place, but there is one particular problem that, i believe, requires fast attention, as it implies some data loss.

The Artists Wiki used to keep track of the different artists' aliases with a link between entries.
In the artist list, it was appearing in the following format :
Alias#1 -> Normal_name
Alias#2 -> Normal_name
Alias#x -> Normal_name
Normal_name

The entries' info were containing the fields "Alias :" or "Alias for :" (sometimes both) followed by a link to the entry it was refering to.

In the new version, the link is gone, and the aforementioned fields have been replaced by "Other names" which didn't take back the old infos.

As of now, the only way to find back the artists' alias(es) is to check the list in chronological update order, as updating one entry was automtically updating all linked entries.
However, this order will be broken as soon as someone updates an entry under the new system.

I don't know how fast this can be solved, or if it will be solved at all, but i would really like the old data to be released, for example in the form of a datasheet, so that we may start to manually put back the aliases and limit the loss of informations.

Very few people know it, but with over 3500 entries, e621's Artist wiki is one of the most exhaustive database keeping tracks of furry artists' aliases and websites in the internet, possibly even superior to Wikifur. It would be a shame to lose it.

Updated