Read the rules before proceeding!

Topic: PSA: How to add new artist/character/species tags

Posted under Tag/Wiki Projects and Questions

Are you trying to tag yourself as the artist and are wondering why artist:, character:, species: and similar are no longer working? Well, it's because we disabled that thanks to constant abuse.

In order to tag yourself or your characters you now have to add the tag as a "normal" tag to a submission you want, then change the tag type by editing the tag itself in the Tags page.
Sounds complicated? It's quite simple:

Step by Step:

1.) Create the tag you want to use and add it to your submission
2.) Click "Tags" at the very top of the page
3.) Insert the tag you want to change into the search field and click search
4.) Click "Edit" besides the tag
5.) Select the category that's appropriate from the drop down menu
6.) Save the change
Optional:
7.) Bask in your accomplishment

Repeat steps 3 to 6 for any tag you want to change. Be sure to not change the categories all willy nilly if the tag already existed beforehand.

If you encounter that a name for a tag has already been taken simply make your own by appending either what it is in parentheses, or the name of the owner / franchise it belongs to.

For theoretical examples:

paralee

- we'll pretend this tag already exists and that it's currently a character tag

Good things to make another unique tag might be:

paralee_(notmenotyou)

- in case there's more than one character with that name, adding the owner would help distinguish them
paralee_helllord - if there is a known surname, adding that might be enough to make it unique
paralee_(world_of_warcraft) - if the character were canon to that franchise this suffix might also be good to add, but it's not here because she's a fan character

Updated by Storm-Engineer

I want to create a character tag for my best friend's main character, because she appears a lot in my artworks that I'm going to upload soon. Her name is Kyera. She goes by that name everywhere.

But there is apparently another character called Kyera and she already has the "kyera" tag. So what would be the proper naming convention in this case to create a tag for my friend's character?

Updated by anonymous

Storm-Engineer said:
But there is apparently another character called Kyera and she already has the "kyera" tag. So what would be the proper naming convention in this case to create a tag for my friend's character?

I think the usual convention for conflicting names is to append the name of the character's owner.
So you'd use the tag "kyera_(friendname)"

Updated by anonymous

Donteven's advice is correct, just append your friend's name in parentheses and it'll be perfectly separate.

Updated by anonymous

NotMeNotYou said:
Donteven's advice is correct, just append your friend's name in parentheses and it'll be perfectly separate.

But her name is Kyera. That's how she is known virtually everywhere. So that would be "kyera_(kyera)".

Updated by anonymous

Storm-Engineer said:
But her name is Kyera. That's how she is known virtually everywhere. So that would be "kyera_(kyera)".

You imply that there is something wrong with that, but that's a rather common occurrence. It's better to have a suffix than to conflict with another tag, so using kyera_(kyera) would be the better alternative.

Updated by anonymous

Siral_Exan said:
You imply that there is something wrong with that, but that's a rather common occurrence. It's better to have a suffix than to conflict with another tag, so using kyera_(kyera) would be the better alternative.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'll also ask her if she prefers that, or would rather use an extended form of her name, like on websites that force you to have two names (That's how I became Storm Engineer too, LOL, used to be just Storm).

Updated by anonymous

I noticed a problem.

Searching does not seem to work at all for the (owner) format.

I have a character called Sakura, who got the tag "sakura_(storm_engineer)" - see the artwork that is my avatar. But if you search for just "sakura", there will be two pages of results and this picture won't be among them.

So if people who know my friend Kyera search for her by searching "kyera", there will be no relevant results.

Suggestion: I think search should be able to break up tags consisting of multiple words using _ as separator (and ignoring spec characters like brackets) and partial match these words.

Updated by anonymous

That suggestion would wreak havoc on searches where people might try to find only a specific character by that name. If you want to use a wildcard search you will have to specify said wildcard. In this case you'd search for kyera*, and then all tags containing kyera at the start of the tag will be shown.

Updated by anonymous

NotMeNotYou said:
That suggestion would wreak havoc on searches where people might try to find only a specific character by that name.

When there are two or more characters with the same name, logically they should all be a valid hit when searching for that name. But currently the naming is inconsistent, some characters use NAME_(character), others use NAME_(OWNER) and yet others simply get to own just NAME. In the first two cases search will come up empty, and in the latter case the lucky character with just NAME, and only that character will show up.

This is highly inconsistent. And not every user knows how to use wildcard searches, or thinks about using it when they get no results as it's a bit counter-intuitive.

NotMeNotYou said:
If you want to use a wildcard search you will have to specify said wildcard. In this case you'd search for kyera*, and then all tags containing kyera at the start of the tag will be shown.

I tested this with my Sakura character and it doesn't work. Neither is the artwork showing up in the results for sakura*, nor is the existing tag sakura_(storm_engineer) showing up on the left.

Even more interestingly if I search for sakura_(s* the tag shows up on the left but there will be no image results.

Updated by anonymous

Storm-Engineer said:
When there are two or more characters with the same name, logically they should all be a valid hit when searching for that name. But currently the naming is inconsistent, some characters use NAME_(character), others use NAME_(OWNER) and yet others simply get to own just NAME. In the first two cases search will come up empty, and in the latter case the lucky character with just NAME, and only that character will show up.

This is highly inconsistent. And not every user knows how to use wildcard searches, or thinks about using it when they get no results as it's a bit counter-intuitive.

They really shouldn't all show up under the same tag because otherwise it'd be impossible to only find a specific character and not possibly dozens of different ones. The inconsistencies when more than one character with the same name exists is due to the issue that characters can be owned or belong to different things.
If we use character owner in the parentheses how do we deal with characters owned by companies? How do we deal with multiple distinct characters with the same names in different franchises of the same owner? An example would be Biggs & Wedge and Cid in the Final Fantasy series and spin-offs. Those are recurring, distinct character names given to entirely different looking "people" in many, many titles.

As a solution we're trying to put in parentheses the thing that's mostly relevant to that particular character.

Storm-Engineer said:
I tested this with my Sakura character and it doesn't work. Neither is the artwork showing up in the results for sakura*, nor is the existing tag sakura_(storm_engineer) showing up on the left.

Even more interestingly if I search for sakura_(s* the tag shows up on the left but there will be no image results.

That's an interesting bug. I can confirm I am seeing the same behavior, except for the last search that does show me results. If this doesn't get fixed with the new site update we'll be having a deeper look into this, and fix it then.

Updated by anonymous

Storm-Engineer said:
When there are two or more characters with the same name, logically they should all be a valid hit when searching for that name. But currently the naming is inconsistent, some characters use NAME_(character), others use NAME_(OWNER) and yet others simply get to own just NAME. In the first two cases search will come up empty, and in the latter case the lucky character with just NAME, and only that character will show up.

This is highly inconsistent. And not every user knows how to use wildcard searches, or thinks about using it when they get no results as it's a bit counter-intuitive.

This is one of the reasons why I wanted this change to push trough in general, so that people using the site would be aware of Tags page exsisting.

Because if you know there's character steve, then you can first search for all the character tags which start with steve and then proceed to use the correct tag with searching:
https://e621.net/tag?name=steve_*&type=4&order=count

Altough I kinda also like the idea of going forward of dum-proofing the search by making first names an umbrella terms, but this would at the same time make users accustomed of tagging their steve character with steve only and require more cleanup than previously was needed and worst case scenario will cause delays with takedowns when one steve character is doing takedown and everything is under steve only.

Also the beta site will have tag suggestions when you are in process of writing the tag, so this nullifies the problems a lot as writing steve will just give you list of most tagged tags with steve beginning.

Updated by anonymous

It's definitely a complicated issue with no straightforward solution.

Using the owner or franchise in parentheses makes sense. But maybe for consistency it would be beneficial to enforce the parenthesis format? That is, every character type tag would have to have their franchise, owner or origin (eg "mythology" for mythological characters) respectively. This would eliminate the anomaly of some character getting to own the parentheses-less version of the name while others don't.

Then to solve the issue of people searching for just names, be that either type of character, what if we say that the search matches for the part before the parenthesis if the search term itself has no parenthesis? So people still need to name their steve with the owner in parentheses but searching just steve would find it.

So eg. steve would match steve_(bob) and steve(joe) but steve(b* or steve(bob) would only match steve(bob).

With these two steps combined, people who searched for eg. anubis in the past for art with the god/species based on the god would still find the same art, but this search would also include eg. anubis (neopets) and anubis (artist) as well as any Anubis named character, and people could then pick the respective character tag to narrow.

NotMeNotYou said:
That's an interesting bug. I can confirm I am seeing the same behavior, except for the last search that does show me results. If this doesn't get fixed with the new site update we'll be having a deeper look into this, and fix it then.

Now I have results for sakura_(s* as well, and my respective piece is there too. Weird, because when I write that post I checked several times and it didn't work.

Updated by anonymous

notmenotyou said:
Are you trying to tag yourself as the artist and are wondering why artist:, character:, species: and similar are no longer working? Well, it's because we disabled that thanks to constant abuse.

In order to tag yourself or your characters you now have to add the tag as a "normal" tag to a submission you want, then change the tag type by editing the tag itself in the Tags page.
Sounds complicated? It's quite simple:

If you encounter that a name for a tag has already been taken simply make your own by appending either what it is in parentheses, or the name of the owner / franchise it belongs to.

For theoretical examples:

paralee

- we'll pretend this tag already exists and that it's currently a character tag

Good things to make another unique tag might be:

paralee_(notmenotyou)

- in case there's more than one character with that name, adding the owner would help distinguish them
paralee_helllord - if there is a known surname, adding that might be enough to make it unique
paralee_(world_of_warcraft) - if the character were canon to that franchise this suffix might also be good to add, but it's not here because she's a fan character

I... Have no idea where to post this question,but why is there no lioness tag?

jakew said:
I... Have no idea where to post this question,but why is there no lioness tag?

Because of the complexity associated with having the base species tag like "lion" and then 2 more tags for "male lion" and "female lion", and that for every single species in existence.
And not to mention species that have more than one possible term for either gender, or overlap of words where things like "buck" are used for multiple species.
As such we simply decided to trim the fat and have people use "species sex" in a search. With up to 40 tags that can be searched you're unlikely to run out of space.

This got kinda derailed, but I have a question: Now that the submission form has dedicated (if probably cosmetic) sub-fields for entering characters and artists, would it be possible to program it so that any new tag entered in either of those fields is automatically registered as that type? Similar to how, on most boorus, you can just preface a new tag with "char:" or "art:" to make that happen?

errorist said:
This got kinda derailed, but I have a question: Now that the submission form has dedicated (if probably cosmetic) sub-fields for entering characters and artists, would it be possible to program it so that any new tag entered in either of those fields is automatically registered as that type? Similar to how, on most boorus, you can just preface a new tag with "char:" or "art:" to make that happen?

I played with this idea, but it tends to make the site throw warnings about trying to change tag types when doing mundane things or if you make a typo. I wanted to avoid confusion that you simply couldn't change the tag type because trying to tag it gives a warning. I also wanted to avoid giving too much special meaning to the fields, as then it becomes a bigger issue of where each tag needs to go. I also didn't want to discourage people with a big list of warnings for following the tagging checklist on the uploader, which is closer to what the fields are there for. Instead I let the question of "It's in the wrong spot, how do I change it?" come up, because then people look for information about how to do it. I'm not sure which wins in the end for being less intuitive.

  • 1