Topic: (OLD) The Feature Request Thread

Lance_Armstrong said:

Requested feature: Add

if ($(".closebutton").length > 0) {noticeClose($(".closebutton").eq(0));}

or

try {noticeClose($(".closebutton").eq(0));} catch(e){}

to beginning of submit_quick_edit() function in at least Edit Posts mode.

Why it would be useful: If you do multiple tag edits and don't keep closing the "Post updated" notice, you don't know if the latest tag edit was successful. This can cause you to skip tag edits.

Requested feature:

<textarea cols="60" id="post_tags" name="post[tags]" rows="2"></textarea>

When this textarea is made visible, the cursor position in the textarea should change to 0, and a space should be inserted.

This action activates it:

<a class="tooltip-thumb" href="/post/show/12345/tags" onclick="return PostModeMenu.click(event,12345)">

Why it would be useful: If you do multiple tag edits in Edit Posts mode, the cursor will sometimes end up in the middle of a tag. With the above solution you can begin typing your tags immediately. It doesn't matter how many spaces end up in the textarea since the server ignores extra whitespace. Only one space will be added by the code below.

How to do it:

The code is located at https://e621.net/javascripts/application-min.js

This should add the space:

$("post_tags").value=post.tags.join(" ")+" rating:"+post.rating.substr(0,1)

to

$("post_tags").value=" "+post.tags.join(" ")+" rating:"+post.rating.substr(0,1)

Take your pick on how to set the cursor position to zero:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/499126/jquery-set-cursor-position-in-text-area

It will end up looking like $("post_tags").setCursorPosition(0); with the needed function added as a prototype somewhere.

More on the above two suggestions.

1. This is noticeable on slower connections when the tag edit does not complete within 1 to 2 seconds.

2. The textarea cursor stays in the last known position in at least Firefox. This is because the code reuses the same textarea repeatedly. If you type some tags and the cursor is at position 11 when you click Update, the next image's tags you open will have the cursor at position 11. If the cursor position is in the middle of a tag, you can't immediately start typing your tags. The seconds you lose add up over time.

Changing both could make Edit Posts tag editing up to 20% faster.

Requested feature 3:

Add the following style:

#post_tags {width: 100%;}

This would override cols="60". You can drag the corner of the textarea to resize it but making it the full width of the screen by default would make tag editing faster.

Unlike the other 2 suggestions this could have compatibility concerns with older browsers.

I already gave it a larger default size that's already live on e9, but what you've laid out here looks promising and seems to fix some nagging issues I've had with using the edit mode in the past. Honestly I assumed most people didn't know about that mode. :x

I'll plan to get this added.

Updated by anonymous