Topic: Wiki Standards: Policy, Editing and Content

titanmelon said:

Idea: wiki thumbnail rotation event

[...]

What do you all think about having a sort of voting event for wiki thumbnail choices?

[...]
Any feedback/suggestions on this greatly welcome
(none of this is official of course, but who knows what could happen with enough interest)

I see a few issues about this:

I don't see why higher quality works should be favored in wikis, that's not what the wiki is for, it's for describing the tag, and maybe describe what not to tag, hence thumbnails should be chosen based on that not how many favorites or what score it may have (or may get). It's entirely irrelevant. When I choose thumbnails for wikis I tend to choose ones that feel neutral, have good contrast and where described feature is easily discernible without visiting the post itself, often ignoring posts with detailed backgrounds or groups.

Who chooses the candidates? Are all posts candidates? Who moderates this? Would it be automatic? What happens if no-one votes? What happens if there's a draw? Sounds like big tasks considering the amount of wiki articles, of course one could do it on a few select articles, but then I feel it gets less effective as well.

The really good thing would be the awareness thing, but it is secondary.

Updated by anonymous