Should you ask artists before uploading their stuff?

In category: General

Found the most adorable eeveelution post on da via google and wanted to upload it here. This will in that case be my first upload so I'm a bit nervous o_o Also other tips are appreciated ^.^


MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Found the most adorable eeveelution post on da via google and wanted to upload it here. This will in that case be my first upload so I'm a bit nervous o_o Also other tips are appreciated ^.^

In general, yeah. Beforehand, make sure to check their accounts thoroughly for any "do not repost" or "feel free to repost with credit" messages and the like. Make sure to respect the artist's wishes!

Eggplant
Privileged
10 days ago
2018 absurd_res ambiguous_gender eumus_mark_(monoflax) glowing glowing_eyes greyscale halo hand_on_shoulder hi_res humanoid monochrome monoflax monstrous_humanoid not_furry rear_view sharp_teeth solo spines teeth

Rating: Safe
Score: 25
User: JAKXXX3
Date: February 21, 2018

asking is not mandatory, but its dick move to not ask first. also asking first will make it less likely to have your upload limit being slapped with takedowns.


Eggplant said:
asking is not mandatory, but its dick move to not ask first. also asking first will make it less likely to have your upload limit being slapped with takedowns.

Had a feeling it was something like that. Well, guess I'll have to make a da account since artists last activity on e6 was 4 years ago.

Edit: btw artist is therealphoenix, now Duop-qoub


If they've actually uploaded their own art here--themselves--then it's probably a safe assumption that they don't mind it being here.


No if there's already bunch of stuff here.


AoBird said:
No if there's already bunch of stuff here.

This isn't always correct. There's been artists that were not asked and only found out after hundreds of posts here, ending up filing takedowns/DNP because of it.


Blind_Guardian said:
This isn't always correct. There's been artists that were not asked and only found out after hundreds of posts here, ending up filing takedowns/DNP because of it.

In fact, if I find that they have a lot of artwork here but have constant "Please do not repost this anywhere" on their own pages, I'll point it out to them. Some say that e621 is an exception, some thank me and submit a takedown.


I always ask. If a person says yes, they usually say "include the source and give credit."

Otherwise, they'll plainly say no or they will say yes and strangely forget years after I ask and request to have an image taken down (this happened to me twice, lol).

Generally though, it's nice to ask.


Ok, so since it's my first time doing this I'd appreciate some feedback.

▼ what I intend to send

Hi!
I recently found one of your art works which I found ABSOLUTLY ADORABLE! ^.^
Ehm. This is the art work:
https://www.deviantart.com/therealphoenix/art/umbreon-and-leafeon-419968366

If you say yes I will make sure that your artist name and a source link (seen above) will be easily found with your art.

While I'm at it: currently you have art posted on e621 under two different names. Would you like it to remain like this or should I fix it?

Thanks for making adorable art and I hope you allow me to spread it ^.^

Is it good? To unserious? Missed something? Feedback appreciated ^.^


MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Ok, so since it's my first time doing this I'd appreciate some feedback.

▼ what I intend to send

Hi!
I recently found one of your art works which I found ABSOLUTLY ADORABLE! ^.^
Ehm. This is the art work:
https://www.deviantart.com/therealphoenix/art/umbreon-and-leafeon-419968366

If you say yes I will make sure that your artist name and a source link (seen above) will be easily found with your art.

While I'm at it: currently you have art posted on e621 under two different names. Would you like it to remain like this or should I fix it?

Thanks for making adorable art and I hope you allow me to spread it ^.^

Is it good? To unserious? Missed something? Feedback appreciated ^.^

You already mentioned that the artist has posted their own work here, so they're obviously okay with it already. That's a case where you don't need to ask. It's if only a few images from other users have been posted, or a bunch from only one user.


Furrin_Gok said:
You already mentioned that the artist has posted their own work here, so they're obviously okay with it already. That's a case where you don't need to ask. It's if only a few images from other users have been posted, or a bunch from only one user.

Well assume I did need to ask (which I probably will anyway, since I already wrote the message), what do you guys think of it? Just for future reference.


To much "sucking up" and write like a normal person, you're just gonna creep them out.


AoBird said:
To much "sucking up" and write like a normal person, you're just gonna creep them out.

Artists share their art because they want other people to enjoy it as well. That's not sucking up, that's expressing appreciation and happiness. o_o I'd be delighted to receive that message.

MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Well assume I did need to ask (which I probably will anyway, since I already wrote the message), what do you guys think of it? Just for future reference.

Looks pretty good to me! I'd mention which two names his art is found under and ask which he'd prefer... if you send the message at all-- again, if they've uploaded stuff themselves, then they're probably cool with it.


AoBird said:
To much "sucking up" and write like a normal person, you're just gonna creep them out.

HI!
My name is Duop-qoubsGreatestFan! I'm tracing your work because I want to be just like you! I have an extra appartment for all your art! Please be my friend on all social media, then I can show my tatoo of your avatar!

SnowWolf said:
Looks pretty good to me! I'd mention which two names his art is found under and ask which he'd prefer... if you send the message at all-- again, if they've uploaded stuff themselves, then they're probably cool with it.

Sounds good, thanks ^.^


MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Ok, so since it's my first time doing this I'd appreciate some feedback.

▼ what I intend to send

Hi!
I recently found one of your art works which I found ABSOLUTLY ADORABLE! ^.^
Ehm. This is the art work:
https://www.deviantart.com/therealphoenix/art/umbreon-and-leafeon-419968366

If you say yes I will make sure that your artist name and a source link (seen above) will be easily found with your art.

While I'm at it: currently you have art posted on e621 under two different names. Would you like it to remain like this or should I fix it?

Thanks for making adorable art and I hope you allow me to spread it ^.^

Is it good? To unserious? Missed something? Feedback appreciated ^.^

The note lacks a clear motive, include what you intend to do in the beginning of the message.

Something like "I recently found this artwork that you have made, <link>, and I find it absolutely adorable! Would you mind if I reuploaded it onto e621.net? If you say yes..." would suffice.

I would exclude the "While I'm at it" part until the next note/reply though, keep it to one topic per note.


TheGreatWolfgang said:
The note lacks a clear motive, include what you intend to do in the beginning of the message.

Well that was stupid :P yikes, already sent it. Ah well, atleast I inkluded that in the title, but thanks anyway, will have to remember that in the future.

Munkelzahn
Privileged
9 days ago
69_position 9/11 aircraft airplane animate_inanimate anthro anthrofied avian balls beak bird blue_background blue_feathers building cloud cum cumshot cunnilingus ejaculation english_text erection feathers fellatio female glans grey_body group holding_penis humanoid_penis humor johnny_ryan living_aircraft living_machine lol_comments long_tongue machine male male/female markings masturbation ms_paint not_furry_focus nude oral orgasm outside penile_masturbation penis pubes public pussy red_markings sex simple_background sky skyscraper tail_feathers text tongue toony vaginal voyeur what where_is_your_god_now white_body why

Rating: Explicit
Score: -1144
User: Munkelzahn
Date: September 16, 2013

MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Ok, so since it's my first time doing this I'd appreciate some feedback.

▼ what I intend to send

Hi!
I recently found one of your art works which I found ABSOLUTLY ADORABLE! ^.^
Ehm. This is the art work:
https://www.deviantart.com/therealphoenix/art/umbreon-and-leafeon-419968366

If you say yes I will make sure that your artist name and a source link (seen above) will be easily found with your art.

While I'm at it: currently you have art posted on e621 under two different names. Would you like it to remain like this or should I fix it?

Thanks for making adorable art and I hope you allow me to spread it ^.^

Is it good? To unserious? Missed something? Feedback appreciated ^.^

This is how I ask for permission to repost:

Hi Insert_Artist_Name_Here,

may I upload http://www.furaffinity.net/view/123456789/ to https://e621.net/ ?

---
Munkelzahn

Short and to the point => artists appreciate that


MyNameIsOver20charac said:
Well that was stupid :P yikes, already sent it. Ah well, atleast I inkluded that in the title, but thanks anyway, will have to remember that in the future.

Ah, should be okay if the title says it.

If you are REALLY interested in posting an artist's artworks for them, you can even ask whether or not you could repost their artworks in general to e6. That way you won't need to ask for every piece of art.

SnowWolf said:
If they've actually uploaded their own art here--themselves--then it's probably a safe assumption that they don't mind it being here.

I would actually discourage assumsing that artists mind their artworks being here because they had posted here before.

Although there are some artists here that are very open to having their artworks reposted by others, there are also some artists here that would not like that.

Some artists only prefer certain posts being on e6 and actually avoid posting other works (like old works/personal characters/commissions) for reasons.

So it's always better to just send a short note asking, rather than pissing someone off unintentionally. No harm done for being courteous.

Munkelzahn said:
This is how I ask for permission to repost:
Short and to the point => artists appreciate that

I used to send notes like that but I keep receiving replies asking "but why tho?".

It might be good to be direct in certain situations but having a single simple sentence explaining why would be respectful to the recipient. :)


I think it's the artist's job to let it be known that they are not friendly to reposting their work. If you want to be that weird 1% of artists who posts their work publically on the freaking INTERNET and you don't want others to share it around, then that's your job to voice that considering that's not really normal.

That said when you do repost their art you had better credit them properly and source back to their site otherwise you are a garbage person.


Yes, you SHOULD ask for permission.


Should you? Yes

Do you have to? No

mabit
Member
8 days ago
2018 anthro balls beach belly big_belly blush boar brown_fur digital_media_(artwork) erection fur genital_focus hair humanoid_penis mabit male mammal nude obese outside overweight penis porcine seaside smile solo teeth tusks uncut

Rating: Explicit
Score: 24
User: mabit
Date: April 04, 2018

Dyrone said:
I think it's the artist's job to let it be known that they are not friendly to reposting their work. If you want to be that weird 1% of artists who posts their work publically on the freaking INTERNET and you don't want others to share it around, then that's your job to voice that considering that's not really normal.

That said when you do repost their art you had better credit them properly and source back to their site otherwise you are a garbage person.

Assuming consent until someone explicitly opposes you is not a very good idea

Joking aside, please do not make massive simplifications based on your own worldview. There are many reasons why artists may post their works publicly and not want them here (SFW artists not wanting to appear in NSFW websites, wanting to retain complete control on which audience has access to it, wanting to retain control if they need to delete it, etc).

If you want a more formal reason, remember that under US law you are absolutely required to get the artist's written permission in order to redistribute their work in any way (also keep in mind that we are adults here, so trying to use "but people don't usually obey copyright law" as an excuse will just make people think less of you and make them more likely to disregard what you're saying)

In the end, a good general rule is "Don't be a dick, if you're not 100% sure just ask the artist"

Eggplant
Privileged
8 days ago
2018 absurd_res ambiguous_gender eumus_mark_(monoflax) glowing glowing_eyes greyscale halo hand_on_shoulder hi_res humanoid monochrome monoflax monstrous_humanoid not_furry rear_view sharp_teeth solo spines teeth

Rating: Safe
Score: 25
User: JAKXXX3
Date: February 21, 2018

Dyrone said:
I think it's the artist's job to let it be known that they are not friendly to reposting their work. If you want to be that weird 1% of artists who posts their work publically on the freaking INTERNET and you don't want others to share it around, then that's your job to voice that considering that's not really normal.

That said when you do repost their art you had better credit them properly and source back to their site otherwise you are a garbage person.

mfw i have "DO NOT REPOST OR EDIT MY ART WITHOUT ASKING FOR PERMISSION!" on top of my FA profile and people still repost my shit from FA. also just fyi its far more than 1% of artists who dont want their stuff spread around without their supervision.