Topic: Tag Alias: <3 -> heart

TheGreatWolfgang said:

I would say dealias the whole thing altogether. When I tag <3, I expect to see heart symbols; when I tag heart, I expect to see the organ itself.

If the purpose is to make the tag into a word instead of a bunch of symbols, I feel that it's better to do it this way.

BlackLicorice said:
I think you have the correct idea

No, this is probably the least-correct idea of all of them. Did you read my original post? The amount of times you see an ACTUAL HEART vs. a heart symbol is negligible...it practically never happens. The standard heart tag should go to the symbol because of it's CRUSHING numbers advantage.

I mean lets say you have an animal...lets call it a snurf...and it's red. Then one out of every 1,000 snurfs is blue...do you start calling the all the other snurfs "red snurfs" because there's a blue one every once in a while? NO...you call that freakish blue snurf a "blue snurf" and you keep on calling the rest of the snurfs just "snurfs"!

Disambiguation is a joke...we don't need to run to disambiguation every time...when there is literally one heart_(organ) out of every THOUSAND heart posts you're making A LOT of disambiguation work for a very very rare occurrence. It makes no sense whatsoever.

darryus said:
Furthermore just heart and not something like heart_(symbol) is just straight up bad, since a fairy reasonable user could add the tag to a post containing the organ and nothing would look wrong in the tag list.

What's "straight up bad" is that we're using a dumb symbol that can't be applied uniformly. Are we supposed to tag heartbeat as <3beat? We need to ditch this 00's lolspeak and use a real word.

Updated by anonymous