Topic: Tag Alias: <3 -> heart

darryus said:
It doesn't matter how many tags it has heart is still a really ambiguous tag name. Like seriously if you went onto the street and asked people what a "heart" was i'd bet a grand majority of them would describe the organ.

That context is horrible. Who fucking cares what the man on the street thinks about furry art? Are you for real? We're talking about hearts as they appear in furry art, and 99.9% they are THE SYMBOL. Doesn't matter what the layman thinks about this niche application of hearts. Also...it's all in how you ask the questions...if you said "how would you define a DRAWN heart" most would probably describe the symbol...not the organ.

darryus said:
And it's not like there's no precedent for adding disambiguators to fairly massive tags like most of the *_(artwork) tags have them despite the fact that most of them 3d_(artwork) for example is tagged ~100 times more often than what it's being disambiguated from (stereogram).

That's a funny claim to make...do you have ANYTHING that backs that up? At all? Because I just looked up the alias for 3d -> 3d_(artwork) and the "reason" field is BLANK. If I had to guess that suffix was placed PRIMARILY in order to standardize it with other artwork tags which all feature the (artwork) suffix.

darryus said:
and how all of the mlp characters have them to distinguish the pony versions (*_(mlp)) from the human versions (*_(eg)) even though the human versions are a pretty rare sights on here

Again...you're pulling this out of your ass...I've actually had several discussions as to why all the ponies all have the (mlp) suffix and the answer is almost always "eh, it just sort of happened, and now we just do it out of habit." Not once was differentiating them from their EG counterparts mentioned...which doesn't even make sense btw considering the full name of the Equestria Girls series is "My Little Pony: Equestria Girls"...IT STILL HAS "MY LITTLE PONY" IN IT.

After reading the aliasing reasons it seems to me the actual reason of adding the (mlp) suffix to all official characters is to denote them as official characters considering the absolute avalanche of fan characters that could easily pass as official to those who don't follow the series closely (like me).

darryus said:
It seems to me that having disambiguation suffixes is, in fact, the rule rather than the exception.

Perhaps...I am actually usually annoyed by this site's overuse of suffixes...however they are there, as I've stated above, not for the reasons you say.

darryus said:
When you're trying to get through a large tagging project you're only going to be glancing at the tag list not reading through the whole thing. You're going to be looking for tags you know are commonly missing, general tags that have less than 10 or so posts, and tags that don't apply. It's really easy to glance and see tags at the beginning and end of the list, tags like the year tags (20xx), anthro, anus, <3, cum, and breasts are usually the fist few tags, so when they're not there it's pretty obvious, same thing goes for vaginal, white_background, transparent_background, sex, and solo which are always going to be the last few tags. Everything between F and R is going to be somewhere in the middle depending on how many tags a post has, it could be fewer than 10 tags from the top it could be more than 30 tags from the top. Mind you you're looking for tags that aren't there more than things that are which is usually a bit harder for the human brain. And you're doing all of this as fast as so you can get to the other 50+ tabs you have open filled with other posts that you're adding tags to for the tagging project you're doing.

This is completely irrelevant which is funny because you wrote a mini-novel on it...who cares where a tag appears in the list? That should never be a reason not to change stuff...you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here. The arguement is "oh no! It will be unfamiliar and it will throw people off for 2 seconds!" Well by that logic then nothing in this world should change ever.

------------------------------------------ Reply to TheGreatWolfgang -----------------------------------

TheGreatWolfgang said:
I don't think this argument is going to serve any more purpose than for us to justify what we think is right and wrong for the tags.
I would like to see a site staff's take on this.

That's kind of the point...present your arguments and dismantle other arguments so when the staff reads this (if ever) they hopefully make the best decision based on the most logical argument.

TheGreatWolfgang said:
I have already given my two cents and if people prefer to have an ambiguous tag to describe heart symbols because the mistags are negligible, so be it.

So be it? Did you read what I said before? You're only saying "so be it" because you have ZERO plans to put in the massive amount of work that your proposal would generate. That's like saying "we're no longer using buckets to gather these apples...and if it's a lot harder to transport them back to the truck...then so be it! I'll be sitting on the porch smoking my pipe and watching the clouds if anyone needs me." That's you right now.

Updated by anonymous