Topic: [Feature] New upload form

Before this goes too far and people get the impression that I'm discarding their feedback unfairly, I think I need to lay down what the requirements of the new page are so that everyone can work towards the same goal. This is not a drop in replacement of the old page with a few minor quality of life changes, or that's what it would have been.

Requirements of the page are as follows:
- Allow uploading from files and direct URLs, both with preview.
- Provide feedback about direct upload domain being allowed or not.
- Provide feedback about direct upload URL being a known bad pattern, such as a sample image.
- Allow for entering source information, and explain what should be there.
- Introduce the user uploading to the core categories of the uploading checklist without requiring them to leave the page or read a distinct document(this has been proven to be ineffective over and over again.)
- Give reasons and examples of the core information presented so that users are thinking about these topics, why they exist and whey they are important to have upon upload.
- Present the most commonly used options to the user in a manner that makes them as easy to add and remove as possible.
- Allow for entering arbitrary tags.
- The page should work both on desktop and mobile devices, this eliminates the use of tool tips and hover text as valid options.

The resulting page is a rough draft that encompasses those requirements. It being slightly daunting is okay if the quality of initial tagging goes up as a result.

Now to address the common concern that I'm seeing here, which is that the page is large and appears cluttered. Would some sort of step system or pagination help to alleviate this? Personally I think it will likely make the process more cumbersome than being able to scroll, but would clean up the initial impression of the page and the information contained therein.

Does anyone use the Related Tags etc links? Are they worth the space?

I think these are an underrated system, and it often brings up tags that you would otherwise miss that are more specific or less specific than what you've entered. Maybe explaining them a bit and working on making the system faster would make people more willing to use them to explore tags they otherwise wouldn't have thought of.

The new form may seem overcomplicated to those of us who know why male/male replaces gay and how to use artist: but for new users the new upload form will be helpful.

There is a hidden "advanced mode" that you can access by clicking/tapping in the blank area immediately above the file upload area, this reverts the page to how it used to look more or less. I have not forgotten about users that are used to tagging and just want a tags field and nothing else. This is not a permanent solution to how you might access this, just an easy way to add it for testing.

Updated by anonymous