Topic: [Feature] "Borderline approval" flag for Janitors and up

CCoyote said:

• not understanding that e621 is a curated archive and not a gallery

leomole said:
I think your last 3 points stem from point #2 which is the main root problem.

"Our mission: To archive the best/strangest/most excellent animal/anthro-related artwork, regardless of content, for all those who wish to view it."

No wonder people are confused. Right now, there's the wiki home page (which uploaders may or may not read) with the quoted statement, and there's a link to Uploading Guidelines on the Upload page which is even more ambiguous and actually invites people to upload their own art.

===

And by the way. I don't think calling e621 an "archive" is a good idea. It's a crappy archive. To be an archive, just scrape FA/IB/Weasyl/whatever indiscriminately like archive.org does with the WWW as a whole.

e6 is a mix of two things:

• a search engine, similar to images.google.com but powered by wetware brains instead of the artificial neural networks Google employs;
  • a curated digest/citation directory similar to Wikipedia, but for furry images.

I would primarily call it a search engine, but for some people Wikipedia analogy may be easier to understand, including rules on notability and self-promotion and death-of-the-author when it comes to tagging.

Updated by anonymous