Topic: RIP Kitsune's amazing art

FoxFourOhFour said:
Funny, All I see are a few criticisms, Kitsu being neutral/accepting of them and then a whole lot of Stormshi whiteknighting a little too tryhard as a result.

Selective reading to stoke confirmation bias.

TwilightStormshi said:

i can/do just shrug it all off when it's about me, but when i have to hold and cuddle kit crying for tens of minutes after he reads e621 comments, it's not so easy. it's not the critiques that hurt, at all. i want people to critique, and so does kit. it's how people complain instead of critique. there's no effort put into saying "panini's nose looks weird," and saying "oh but i like your art anyway" just comes off as a virtue signal unless there are reasons explained for that as well.

E621 isn't the problem. The lack of effort put into communication (e.g., reading, understanding, and writing) by the average person is one problem, and the other problem is the artist's fragility when confronting an honest public. The situation would play out the same if the Internet wasn't involved, but the artist could still receive the public's opinions yet be unable to interrogate passers-by to extract useful feedback. Expecting informative, articulate feedback from an honest, untrained public is an unrealistic and misguided path to growth.

The natural overreaction is for-artist communities that shun all negativity and all but the most mealy-mouthed "constructive criticism" (i.e., "hugboxes"), thereby fostering stagnation and bad habits. I really despise this need and expectation some have to smother any critical objections with fountains of praise, as if artists/whoever will crumble if they're not constantly built up. It's spiritless and very unhealthy. Sometimes the most efficient or even the only way to grow is through pain and struggle. You make it a part of yourself and come out stronger and more complete on the other side.

If the grind is too mentally and emotionally draining, just take an indefinite break and come back refreshed when you're ready. Or, after reassessing where you are and your goals, don't come back at all and feel vindicated in your decisiveness. Or make an appearance once in a blue moon. I've stopped doing several things because "I don't need that shit", but I'm making an appearance now.

FWIW, I liked The Babysitter (pool #6456, pool #2975) when it was new, but I'm probably four years behind in checking out Kitsu's art.

Updated by anonymous