Read the rules before proceeding!

Topic: YouTube's Copyright System Isn't Broken. The World's Is.

Posted under Off Topic

I can agree to that, especially where trolling is involved.

Overall cause for many an issue, and I certainly hate when things are prevented from even seeing the light of day because of it.

Thanks for posting the video.

That's why piracy is ultimately the only way we can preserve culture and knowledge. SciHub is a good example of that.

randomguy85 said:
That's why piracy is ultimately the only way we can preserve culture and knowledge. SciHub is a good example of that.

Sometimes media properties have to fight copyright to get released in the first place before they can even be pirated.
There was a Product Confusion Trademark Claim case I was following for a while in the EU where a German manufacturer of commercial computer systems was singlehandedly blocking the entire Western release of a Japanese game over having Galaxy in the title. It took years to get thrown out and after so long they might not even push the release through. Videogames are a kind of weird medium where if you roadblock someone for a few years the platform they're developing for isn't even in the market anymore.

Updated

^Geez. I never really thought about it that way but any platform sort of is an example of planned obsolescence.

I would be interested in knowing about that case, btw.

crystali_cast said:
^Geez. I never really thought about it that way but any platform sort of is an example of planned obsolescence.

I would be interested in knowing about that case, btw.

I haven't dug through the legal documents myself but I believe you can find everything here.

magnuseffect said:
I haven't dug through the legal documents myself but I believe you can find everything here.

Ah, thank you (seriously sorry about lateness).

So that was the one? I was trying to find it... I even see that there's two of them.

It even seems like it might have had a chilling effect on the series the last few years.

  • 1