Topic: About the law trying to be passed in Arizona

Posted under General

This topic has been locked.

aidt said:
Odds are, you probably have a similar bill being pushed in your state. Now might be a good time to take a look: https://action.freespeechcoalition.com/age-verification-bills/

And for anyone thinking this bill might be a good thing, keep in mind that parental controls exist in several forms and have existed for over two decades. All we need are for lazy parents to actually freaking use them.

this is how i learned my state (IN) passed a age verification law going into effect in July, so I guess the time to message my reps is over when I didn’t even know it began *melting emoji*
i’d say i would pack up and move to a bluer state but realistically that’s impossible for me atm, not to mention that doesn’t guarantee freedom from pearl clutchers.
good lord keep me sane in these trying times

that said i’ll keep rting, tweeting, tumblring and what have you my displeasure and hopefully someone from AZ sees it and calls their rep bc idk what else to do besides start an island. there’s some pretty nice ones if one is a multi millionaire LOL

casmin7~ said:
I wonder how something like this works with adult games or mods for games that make them adult.

Steam does have many adult games (many Furry ones too) and well, mod sites feature a lot of content for all sources.

Or they could just leave it alone and let us get on with our lives, wouldn't that be grand

Most laws say that a websites content has to include 33.33% nsfw content to count as a nsfw site.

Steam probably isn't going to even be considered according to this legislation, and neither is twitter for that matter

hillbex said:
What did they say?

I really don't wanna tell anyone exactly what an admin told me while I was speaking to him in DMs purely cuz he told me in confidence, but to summarize as vaguely as possible, he said it'll be fine either way just a pain in the ass for them, but we shouldn't notice much, especially not long term.

That isn't too say it doesn't matter whether or not the law passes, I just mean they're confident they can make something work if it happens.

Updated

well unless they got a "if the deadline lands on a weekend it rolls over to monday" rule today (I guess today in 2 hours due to timezones) is the deadline. That being said looking the person up she tends to veto things last minute and she tends to veto similar bills. That being said she could be considering the political angle too. aka her opposition will probably go "she doesnt want to protect minors from NSFW content!" to try and give her the boot.

Honestly, with the places like NC where this has started, has it had any effect at all? have people ACTUALLY started using IDs? or is the vast majority just using VPNs and the law is failing miserably? cause if its failing miserably these laws will probably be reversed.

smuglytherat said:
Most laws say that a websites content has to include 33.33% nsfw content to count as a nsfw site.

Steam probably isn't going to even be considered according to this legislation, and neither is twitter for that matter

I really don't wanna tell anyone exactly what an admin told me while I was speaking to him in DMs purely cuz he told me in confidence, but to summarize as vaguely as possible, he said it'll be fine either way just a pain in the ass for them, but we shouldn't notice much, especially not long term.

That isn't too say it doesn't matter whether or not the law passes, I just mean they're confident they can make something work if it happens.

That’s great.Just glad to know they have a plan.

kathyohneke said:
Honestly, with the places like NC where this has started, has it had any effect at all? have people ACTUALLY started using IDs? or is the vast majority just using VPNs and the law is failing miserably? cause if its failing miserably these laws will probably be reversed.

I have a friend who lives in NC and he confirms that yes if you're not using a vpn you do need to use an ID to access the vast majority of porn sites (I say vast majority because apparently Rule34.xxx is still accessible without id for some bizarre reason last time he checked).
And yes pretty much everyone there is using a vpn right now. The law ain't doing shit lol.

lonetraveler said:
I have a friend who lives in NC and he confirms that yes if you're not using a vpn you do need to use an ID to access the vast majority of porn sites (I say vast majority because apparently Rule34.xxx is still accessible without id for some bizarre reason last time he checked).
And yes pretty much everyone there is using a vpn right now. The law ain't doing shit lol.

Maybe we could follow Gelbooru and Rule34.xxx steps?

kathyohneke said:
well unless they got a "if the deadline lands on a weekend it rolls over to monday" rule today (I guess today in 2 hours due to timezones) is the deadline. That being said looking the person up she tends to veto things last minute and she tends to veto similar bills. That being said she could be considering the political angle too. aka her opposition will probably go "she doesnt want to protect minors from NSFW content!" to try and give her the boot.

Do people read my posts? It looks like it ended up her desk the next day, so she it would actually be the 8th since Sundays are excluded.

Also, the “for the children!” angle is clearly a non-starter since they diluted all of their culture war bullshit into Helen Lovejoy fallacies and Hobbs ain’t buying it.

Official sources so you can double check:

Bill text and status: https://apps.azleg.gov/BillStatus/BillOverview/80447

Article 5, Section 7 of Arizona State Constitution (which concerns vetoes): https://www.azleg.gov/viewDocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/const/5/7.htm

Updated

binaryhedgehog said:
Do people read my posts? It looks like it ended up her desk the next day, so she it would actually be the 8th since Sundays are excluded.

Also, the “for the children!” angle is clearly a non-starter since they diluted all of their culture war bullshit into Helen Lovejoy fallacies and Hobbs ain’t buying it.

Official sources so you can double check:

Bill text and status: https://apps.azleg.gov/BillStatus/BillOverview/80447

Article 5, Section 7 of Arizona State Constitution (which concerns vetoes): https://www.azleg.gov/viewDocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/const/5/7.htm

Im canadian so I dont know her well enough other than she has a habbit of slapping down bull bills so what makes you certain she isnt buying it and will slap down this one?

if it passes just move the server to mexico. mexico doesnt give a rats arse about whats drawn. all though im sure its easier said than done. hopefully it doesnt get passed.

As countless people noted, just move the servers to Romania or whatever, as far away from the US as possible is the best option anyway.

Isn't too hard either, there's many tools to move databases and folder structures, some providers allow diskimage-moving too, not to mention the cost savings, east europe is cheaper.

kathyohneke said:
Im canadian so I dont know her well enough other than she has a habbit of slapping down bull bills so what makes you certain she isnt buying it and will slap down this one?

Because it’s a culture war issue in line with other states’ attempts to do so. Plus more explicit attempts at this kind of bull have already been attempted. Not to mention that it’s probably not going to go over well with the voters. That being said I cannot be 100% certain and my very existence isn’t on the line here so I don’t want to dismiss the concerns of the admins.

arcticgalaxy said:
As countless people noted, just move the servers to Romania or whatever, as far away from the US as possible is the best option anyway.

Isn't too hard either, there's many tools to move databases and folder structures, some providers allow diskimage-moving too, not to mention the cost savings, east europe is cheaper.

But see here's the thing. It's not that it's hard from a technical standpoint, it's hard from a cost of moving a business standpoint and all of the legal work that needs to accompany it. Europe also has other pesky downsides for us like GDPR. Best course of action is to hope this dies and continue to fight against harmful bills like this.

kathyohneke said:
well unless they got a "if the deadline lands on a weekend it rolls over to monday" rule today (I guess today in 2 hours due to timezones) is the deadline. That being said looking the person up she tends to veto things last minute and she tends to veto similar bills. That being said she could be considering the political angle too. aka her opposition will probably go "she doesnt want to protect minors from NSFW content!" to try and give her the boot.

Honestly, with the places like NC where this has started, has it had any effect at all? have people ACTUALLY started using IDs? or is the vast majority just using VPNs and the law is failing miserably? cause if its failing miserably these laws will probably be reversed.

I'm pretty sure buisness days don't count since most government workers don't work in weekends whatsoever.

Court houses are closed, county clerk offices are vlosed, ect. So I'm pretty sure the weekends don't count

kathyohneke said:
well unless they got a "if the deadline lands on a weekend it rolls over to monday" rule today (I guess today in 2 hours due to timezones) is the deadline. That being said looking the person up she tends to veto things last minute and she tends to veto similar bills. That being said she could be considering the political angle too. aka her opposition will probably go "she doesnt want to protect minors from NSFW content!" to try and give her the boot.

Honestly, with the places like NC where this has started, has it had any effect at all? have people ACTUALLY started using IDs? or is the vast majority just using VPNs and the law is failing miserably? cause if its failing miserably these laws will probably be reversed.

I'm pretty sure buisness days don't count since most government workers don't work in weekends whatsoever.

Court houses are closed, county clerk offices are vlosed, ect. So I'm pretty sure the weekends don't count

binaryhedgehog said:
Do people read my posts? It looks like it ended up her desk the next day, so she it would actually be the 8th since Sundays are excluded.

Also, the “for the children!” angle is clearly a non-starter since they diluted all of their culture war bullshit into Helen Lovejoy fallacies and Hobbs ain’t buying it.

Official sources so you can double check:

Bill text and status: https://apps.azleg.gov/BillStatus/BillOverview/80447

Article 5, Section 7 of Arizona State Constitution (which concerns vetoes): https://www.azleg.gov/viewDocument/?docName=https://www.azleg.gov/const/5/7.htm

Also no they don't read anything previously stated in this forum which is why I and a couple others have had to repeat the same answer over and over again, and it's getting annoying

Updated

rainbow_dash said:
But see here's the thing. It's not that it's hard from a technical standpoint, it's hard from a cost of moving a business standpoint and all of the legal work that needs to accompany it. Europe also has other pesky downsides for us like GDPR. Best course of action is to hope this dies and continue to fight against harmful bills like this.

GDPR is an upside but yeah.. Also business? This site is registered business.. why?

arcticgalaxy said:
GDPR is an upside but yeah.. Also business? This site is registered business.. why?

Dragonfruit is. They own Bad Dragon and sell dildos, fleshlights, and other adult products, and they own e621 too.

arcticgalaxy said:
GDPR is an upside but yeah.. Also business? This site is registered business.. why?

Dragon Fruit Ventures LLC owns the trade marks for the site, runs the website and also handles the banner ads and stuff that keep the lights on. they have income and payed employee, so yes, they're a registered business.

casmin7~ said:
I wonder how something like this works with adult games or mods for games that make them adult.

Steam does have many adult games (many Furry ones too) and well, mod sites feature a lot of content for all sources.

Or they could just leave it alone and let us get on with our lives, wouldn't that be grand

Pretty sure you have to be 18 to get a credit card, if you have a credit card on file with Steam then bam! There is your proof of age right there as there is reasonable assumption the card belongs to the account holder.

That's for a store front though.

mangyfox said:
Pretty sure you have to be 18 to get a credit card, if you have a credit card on file with Steam then bam! There is your proof of age right there as there is reasonable assumption the card belongs to the account holder.

That's for a store front though.

I had a debit card at 15 and a minimum wage income at 16. But then again I also had parents that paid attention to my bank statements and search history because they're not neglectful.

sipothac said:
Dragon Fruit Ventures LLC owns the trade marks for the site, runs the website and also handles the banner ads and stuff that keep the lights on. they have income and payed employee, so yes, they're a registered business.

I presume the omission of the plural from employee was intentional?

Got something similar happening in Florida mostly around social media's and porn seems to be included into the mix.
It's been approved by both parties.

I'm not gonna move to another state just for porn that's for sure.

snpthecat said:
I presume the omission of the plural from employee was intentional?

NotMeNotYou is paid by Dragonfruit. The rest of us screwballs are volunteers. He's literally paid the big bucks to direct this circus.

So if the law does pass, will the website immanently go down or will there be a grace period? I'm trying to mass download pictures before this happens.

cinder said:
Let's stop fear mongering here.
The site is not shutting down. Even if this bill gets signed into law, there are things that can be done.

Like illegally collect the personal info of your users? No thanks.

cinder said:
Sorry, but as an AI language model, I'm unable to fulfill that request—

Fixed :3

aaaaaahens said:
Like illegally collect the personal info of your users? No thanks.

They'd have to pay a third party to do the verification for them, so you KNOW that'll never happen

arcticgalaxy said:
GDPR is an upside but yeah.. Also business? This site is registered business.. why?

GDPR is not an upside when you have to expend money and resources to be in compliance with it. The argument isn't about what's good or bad for the users, it's about the downsides to a business that has to move states or countries.

aidt said:
Fixed :3

They'd have to pay a third party to do the verification for them, so you KNOW that'll never happen

I was wondering if there's an angle where someone's doing this for money, like say for nepotism(joking I hope, haha).
I mean, Meta and Yoti are going to be loving that extra information gathering.

kathyohneke said:
well unless they got a "if the deadline lands on a weekend it rolls over to monday" rule today (I guess today in 2 hours due to timezones) is the deadline. That being said looking the person up she tends to veto things last minute and she tends to veto similar bills. That being said she could be considering the political angle too. aka her opposition will probably go "she doesnt want to protect minors from NSFW content!" to try and give her the boot.

Honestly, with the places like NC where this has started, has it had any effect at all? have people ACTUALLY started using IDs? or is the vast majority just using VPNs and the law is failing miserably? cause if its failing miserably these laws will probably be reversed.

I'm in north carolina. Opera GX is a popular browser now for its free VPN. Nobody is doing that ID nonsense. I won't use any other browser now. I have my eyes set on California. It might be broken but it's free? (I don't know if that's right but I hope it is). I hate this gerrymandered state

loona_loverx said:
I'm in north carolina. Opera GX is a popular browser now for its free VPN. Nobody is doing that ID nonsense. I won't use any other browser now

I heard pretty bad things about Opera GX honestly. privacy issues, shady business practices, etc.

kathyohneke said:
I heard pretty bad things about Opera GX honestly. privacy issues, shady business practices, etc.

Eh, I hope not. I'm just using this because I can't find anything else. I'm not paying for a VPN.

loona_loverx said:
Eh, I hope not. I'm just using this because I can't find anything else. I'm not paying for a VPN.

I heard there is a bunch of options for free VPNs out there honestly. Im not sure how effective or guaranteed to not collect your data they are since I havent used a VPN yet (mainly because my ISP quality is "cheapest available while still having unlimited bandwidth" so a VPN would probably return me to dialup speeds) but might try em if things keep going the way they are. that being said it does look like a lot of these digital ID laws are probably gonna get reversed at this rate.

Yeah, this shit is spiraling out of control.

And in the end it'll do nothing but inconvience people and make VPNs a lot of money. That and it'll make the internet more dangerous not less.

What is needed is less trying to make websites into babysitters and more enforcing that parents are responsible for gatekeeping the content their kids see on the internet, not the government, and not websites

Updated

advarious said:
Apparently Oklahoma prefiled a bill in January this year that will make distribution or production a misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year of prison and a $2k fine.

Edit:Mods/Janis, can you delete the post my dumb ass pressed reply on, instead of edit?

even if this passes it'd would quickly get taken out federally because as much as those think of the children types hate to admit NSFW content is protected by first amendment rights in the states. and honestly there are even more crazier ones out there. like the guy in Utah put in a bill that if passes will REMOVE ALL porn from he internet. like that would happen.

speaking of while they keep trying to appeal and reverse decisions, various places where these passed have been getting these laws reversed on the federal level due to being determined unconstitutional after a quick google search. would have happened with texas already but those guys are digging their heels in. but apparently Arkansas' bill got reversed.

Honestly though I wish I didnt start looking up these laws while most laws dont get passed or quickly reversed or really dont effect me at all it feels like every corner of the internet my introverted butt hangs out in is getting attacked simultaneously now and its doing WONDERS for my anxiety no matter how many times I tell myself it wont effect me! someone please bring me back to my blissful ignorance of government stupidity I want off this ride.

Updated

kathyohneke said:
I heard there is a bunch of options for free VPNs out there honestly. Im not sure how effective or guaranteed to not collect your data they are since I havent used a VPN yet (mainly because my ISP quality is "cheapest available while still having unlimited bandwidth" so a VPN would probably return me to dialup speeds) but might try em if things keep going the way they are. that being said it does look like a lot of these digital ID laws are probably gonna get reversed at this rate.

I really hope so because they all are a violation of the 1st amendment and the 4th amendment. There really should be an additional thing added to either the 4th amendment or the 1st amendment dealing with computer privacy. Or, another amendment should be added dealing with computer privacy itself. Porn is an expression of the 1st amendment. If parents are that concerned then do a better job with the parental controls that already exist on devices or networks or tell them about the birds and the bees like my parents did when I was little. Parents expect the government and youtube kids l and their tablets and such to raise their kids. Parents should be doing a better job all together and stop being lazy and scared and absent in their kids lives. That's how they turn out to be monsters when they grow up. I'm all for protection for minors but these laws being sneaked into other bigger laws like this aren't it (which i hate the practice of).

I'm not a minor I'm 25, I shouldn't be policed like this. Buying alcohol and beer is different I'll say because it's just you and the cashier. Nobody is holding any information back or storing it and you see them give your ID back. But having 3rd party people check it for you and they store the information? That's just asking for trouble. The phishing scams and scam people will have a hay day with it.

In Russia for example if you want to visit a porn site you need to have your ID scanned and paired with your VKontakte account (Russian Facebook). But really, who wants to see that you visited a porn site yesterday because they'll know because it showed up on your account. That's why encrypted VPNS are popular over there because VPNs are outlawed too. I feel like we're slowly heading in that direction and it needs to be stopped. This is not the America I want. Fascists and religious crazies of all types and backgrounds in office need to be stopped.

loona_loverx said: That's why encrypted VPNS are popular over there because VPNs are outlawed too. I feel like we're slowly heading in that direction and it needs to be stopped. This is not the America I want. Fascists and religious crazies of all types and backgrounds in office need to be stopped.

well for one VPNs wont get outlawed in the western world because businesses depend on them for safety to the point that they would be completely screwed over and some of the major VPNs are lobbyists. not to mentioned VPNs are reconized as a major component to online safety now along with firewalls and antivirus so VPNs wont become illegal anytime soon no need to worry about that.

kathyohneke said:
well for one VPNs wont get outlawed in the western world because businesses depend on them for safety to the point that they would be completely screwed over and some of the major VPNs are lobbyists. not to mentioned VPNs are reconized as a major component to online safety now along with firewalls and antivirus so VPNs wont become illegal anytime soon no need to worry about that.

I hope not. My friend in Russia was telling me about him needing an encrypted VPN to even visit e621 because the government outlawed the website as well as Twittter and Facebook and Pornhub and such so I'm scared. I just want to feel like I'm not being controlled by anyone. I wanna feel free.

regsmutt said:
The thing about the first amendment is that it doesn't cover "obscenity."

its been proven in court over and over again porn is covered with first amendment

The thing is, that’s why a certain US political party has worded the bill the way they have. If this was just a straight up nsfw ban it would be found an unconstitutional violation of the first amendment faster than you can say the words “burgeoning dictatorship”.

No instead their new gimmick they love to use to get around constitutionality is instead let these bills be worded in a way it grants the public or other institutions the right to sue private companies or individuals instead for things they know they cannot ban. Annoyingly legal and a massive loophole that our government needs to close immediately. Prior to the overturning of Roe v Wade this was their preferred strategy to get around that court ruling of another hot button political topic.

aspy_dragon said:
Even if it gets vetoed in AZ, we’re not 100% out of the woods, in small red states such as, AL, MS, AR, LA, TN, OK, NC, (SC already banned this site) will probably propose and most likely pass a similar bill because “monkey see, monkey do”

(Mods pls don’t be mad, I’m scared and I’m trying to add to the discussion)

You can still access the site if it gets banned in your state with a VPN, the issue with the Arizona bill in particular is the fact that e621 opperates in that state and if it passes it no longer can whatsoever.

I'm gonna caps type this out cuz I'm sick of people not getting this, not you in particular though

IF YOUR STATE HAS ONE OF THESE AGE VERIFICATION LAWS, YOU MAY USE A VPN TO ACCESS IT ANYWAY, THAT IS WHAT VPNS DO.

IF THE STATE OF ARIZONA PASSES ITS AGE VERIFICATION LAW, THAT'S A PROBLEM BECAUSE THAT'S THE STATE WHERE E621 OPPERATES AND THEY WILL HAVE TO MAKE CHANGES SINCE THEY WILL NOT HAVE US USERS SUBMIT OUR GOVERNMENT IDS TO ACCESS THE SITE BECAUSE OF PRIVACY AND SAFETY CONCERNS.

regsmutt said:
The thing about the first amendment is that it doesn't cover "obscenity."

There's still obscenity laws on the books and also anti-sodomy (legal term for any non-vaginal sex) on the books too. Texas attorney General Ken Paxton openly admitted he wanted to enforce those laws if he could get away with it.

And I've heard Christian nationalists straight up admit they wanna enforce obscenity laws. Don't take your freedoms for granted because they're being eroded slowly as recent events demonstrate

okc said:
maybe we can relocate to louisville...or alberquerque

Well guess fucking what, Kentucky just passed the god damn verification bill https://action.freespeechcoalition.com/bill/kentucky-hb-278/

Fuck this state and all the cousin-fucking, neoconfederate hicks that live here

Updated

advarious said:
Welp, sorry Indiana.
Have fun, Idaho.
Florida's clock is ticking.

Yeah, this shit is spiraling out of control.

Well gg to anonymously using the internet in 2025 I guess. We better enjoy what we can of 2024 with all these bills coming into effect this year and the start of next year at this rate.

Yay for being Australian and not having to deal with this being enforced, as its only voluntary over here for now anyway. Just gonna suck logging into any American based website.

casmin7~ said:
Well gg to anonymously using the internet in 2025 I guess. We better enjoy what we can of 2024 with all these bills coming into effect this year and the start of next year at this rate.

Yay for being Australian and not having to deal with this being enforced, as its only voluntary over here for now anyway. Just gonna suck logging into any American based website.

Just wait to see if Project 2025 happens, then everything will be taken to an extreme

loona_loverx said:
This is not the America I want. Fascists and religious crazies of all types and backgrounds in office need to be stopped.

Unfortunately just like world peace, that might be impossible; like rest of the world, America had many people of that type for years and years and we will still have them now and in the future. I agree that the United States isn't currently "united" as we thought, making it quite ironic namewise but the best option is to let it ride out until November, vote for the right person and hope for the best depending on the results and the outcome of Project 2025.

Updated

mta_2_train said:
Project 2025?

Did a quick google search, seems to be about drastic changes to try and fix America after how badly things have been going. Though probably now too much in the other direction, either be a choice between one extreme or the other. Have no idea if it means putting an end to bills like this or increasing its spread though.

In either case, from that map from the FSC it looks like 23 states have already implemented some form of online ID verification. With Arizona, Georgia and Kansas currently sitting on the respective Governors desks.

Regardless of any outcome from now, this means in any of those states you would need to use a VPN to access E621.

Edit, Forgive my ignorance on the subject, I honestly didn't think there would be people alive that would even try to pull half of all that Cinder posted, yet alone all of it that's just nuts. That is more then just an extreme.

Updated

casmin7~ said:
Did a quick google search, seems to be about drastic changes to try and fix America after how badly things have been going. Though probably now too much in the other direction, either be a choice between one extreme or the other. Have no idea if it means putting an end to bills like this or increasing its spread though.

In either case, from that map from the FSC it looks like 23 states have already implemented some form of online ID verification. With Arizona, Georgia and Kansas currently sitting on the respective Governors desks.

Regardless of any outcome from now, this means in any of those states you would need to use a VPN to access E621.

Interesting, i think that the only thing that we sould be concerned about at the moment is the Entry 8 (Outlawing pornography) and maybe we will see if the other entries will threat the existence of this site

casmin7~ said:
Did a quick google search, seems to be about drastic changes to try and fix America after how badly things have been going. Though probably now too much in the other direction, either be a choice between one extreme or the other. Have no idea if it means putting an end to bills like this or increasing its spread though.

Interesting take. Project 2025 seeks to:
- Dramatically concentrate power into the office of the President, including reforming the Justice Department to serve at his beck and call.
- Systematically fire any government official who are not politically aligned with the right
- Put Christianity at the center of American government and society by turning a biblical worldview into federal law
- Attack reproductive rights, including by removing the term “abortion” from all federal laws and regulations, reversing abortion pill approval, withdrawing federal health funding, and restricting clinics that provide contraception and STD testing
- Completely gut all efforts to stop climate change and promote sustainable energy
- Severely limit legal immigration and punish illegal immigration more severely
- Enforce the death penalty wherever possible and applicable
- Eliminate the Department of Education completely

However, more relevant here is its attack on the LGBTQ+ rights.
In addition to the usual rhetoric about removing all terms related to gender and sexual identity from legislation, it calls for:
- LGBTQ+ literature to be declared to be sexualization of children, and as pornography that should be outlawed.
- Educators and public librarians who purvey it to be registered as sex offenders
- Reversal of policies that allow transgender individuals to serve in the military

If that's what you think will fix America, I have some strong opinions about your worldview.

recursion said:
HB2586 has been officially vetoed by the Governor. Seems like unless the state Republicans are able to scrounge up enough Democratic support to overturn it, it will not be an issue for now.

Great news.

Based on the previous voting results for this bill, its supporters do not have anything resembling a supermajority.
This is likely the end of this – for now. Until they try it again, that is.

recursion said:
HB2586 has been officially vetoed by the Governor. Seems like unless the state Republicans are able to scrounge up enough Democratic support to overturn it, it will not be an issue for now.

well thats a relief. that being said these bills are on life support anyway. mainly because on a federal level most judges are agreeing "Yeah not only is it against various amendments we dont want that kind of private information out there" some are digging their heels in and constantly trying to overturn these decisions (like Texas) and it'll take a long time but they most likely will quickly die. I mean even austalia who typically are super strict about this sort of thing went holy heck that's recklessly and intrusively dangerous.

mta_2_train said:
Interesting, i think that the only thing that we sould be concerned about at the moment is the Entry 8 (Outlawing pornography) and maybe we will see if the other entries will threat the existence of this site

Again, porn is protected by rights in the USA, there is never gonna be a outright porn ban thats gonna stick. they just keep trying as a attempt to puff up their chests and hope no one notices one squeak by.

cinder said:
Interesting take. Project 2025 seeks to:
- Dramatically concentrate power into the office of the President, including reforming the Justice Department to serve at his beck and call.
- Systematically fire any government official who are not politically aligned with the right
- Put Christianity at the center of American government and society by turning a biblical worldview into federal law
- Attack reproductive rights, including by removing the term “abortion” from all federal laws and regulations, reversing abortion pill approval, withdrawing federal health funding, and restricting clinics that provide contraception and STD testing
- Completely gut all efforts to stop climate change and promote sustainable energy
- Severely limit legal immigration and punish illegal immigration more severely
- Enforce the death penalty wherever possible and applicable
- Eliminate the Department of Education completely
If that's what you think will fix America, I have some strong opinions about your worldview.

However, more relevant here is its attack on the LGBTQ+ rights.
In addition to the usual rhetoric about removing all terms related to gender and sexual identity from legislation, it calls for:
- LGBTQ+ literature to be declared to be sexualization of children, and as pornography that should be outlawed.
- Educators and public librarians who purvey it to be registered as sex offenders
- Reversal of policies that allow transgender individuals to serve in the military

Now, I don't mean to don my tinfoil hat, but here's an interesting connection here:
Classifying any queer content as pornography and then requiring everyone who wants to access it to provide an ID is a very convenient way to get a list of queer people.
You know, for camp-building purposes.

yeah honestly most agree this projects is a attempt, if trump wins, to basically give him full dictator powers.

kathyohneke said:
its been proven in court over and over again porn is covered with first amendment

Porn is. Kinda. "Obscene material" is not. The test for defining "obscene material," the Miller test, is vague and hinges on community standards.

It requires that 1) 'community standards' would consider a work to appeal to prurient interest, 2) it depict sexual conduct in a patently offensive way, and 3) that it lack serious artistic/literary/scientific value.
It also explicitly opens room for states and localities to define what is considered offensive.

If a state decides that Whitekitten's comics are obscene and illegal? They absolutely can under the current interpretation of the first amendment.

I am going to say the quiet part out loud now, it isn't your imagination.
The most active, least disordered, best funded side of the environment we are subject to, however much we agnostics, moderates, and complete opposites call it reactionary, it's actually the other way around. It is so proactive and so quick and prone to it's outbursts, it's actually the rest of us who react to everything it does first. It always has everyone else on the backfoot, because it always imagines what the next fight will be, where and when, then executes it's histrionic temper tantrum.
And the worst part?
It didn't even have to win, this time.
It doesn't even have to win, half of the time.
Because the rest of us always manage a compromise it can congratulate as it's own accomplishment, pried from the victory it framed it's life-or-death struggle, against whatever the week's antagonist was.

cinder said:
Interesting take. Project 2025 seeks to:
- Dramatically concentrate power into the office of the President, including reforming the Justice Department to serve at his beck and call.
- Systematically fire any government official who are not politically aligned with the right
- Put Christianity at the center of American government and society by turning a biblical worldview into federal law
- Attack reproductive rights, including by removing the term “abortion” from all federal laws and regulations, reversing abortion pill approval, withdrawing federal health funding, and restricting clinics that provide contraception and STD testing
- Completely gut all efforts to stop climate change and promote sustainable energy
- Severely limit legal immigration and punish illegal immigration more severely
- Enforce the death penalty wherever possible and applicable
- Eliminate the Department of Education completely

However, more relevant here is its attack on the LGBTQ+ rights.
In addition to the usual rhetoric about removing all terms related to gender and sexual identity from legislation, it calls for:
- LGBTQ+ literature to be declared to be sexualization of children, and as pornography that should be outlawed.
- Educators and public librarians who purvey it to be registered as sex offenders
- Reversal of policies that allow transgender individuals to serve in the military

If that's what you think will fix America, I have some strong opinions about your worldview.

Don't forget the worker rights, they're looking to remove mandatory overtime pay, remove the all minimum wages, destroy unions, any workplace equality measures ect.

Also an unapologetic porn ban

recursion said:
HB2586 has been officially vetoed by the Governor. Seems like unless the state Republicans are able to scrounge up enough Democratic support to overturn it, it will not be an issue for now.

Finally some good news. I hope another bill like this one doesn't get proposed in Arizona for a long time. For that matter i hope bills like this stop being proposed anywhere period but it seems that going after porn is the hot new trend in the politicosphere of a lot of countries.
Regardless, WOOHOO E621 STANDS BAYBEE!

this is good, for now. I assume if they tried passing it once, they'll try again sometime. So hopefully there's a contingency plan in place if the bill is reintroduced/snuck into something more popular and passed.

Today was a good day.

hiddenbird said:
this is good, for now. I assume if they tried passing it once, they'll try again sometime. So hopefully there's a contingency plan in place if the bill is reintroduced/snuck into something more popular and passed.

Today was a good day.

Wait, why can they do that? Surely with this bill failing nothing can come of it now for at least half a decade or so or more?

smuglytherat said:
Don't forget the worker rights, they're looking to remove mandatory overtime pay, remove the all minimum wages, destroy unions, any workplace equality measures ect.

Also an unapologetic porn ban

I wonder how they will ban porn? Like, almost half of the internet is porn

mta_2_train said:
I wonder how they will ban porn? Like, almost half of the internet is porn

They don't ever actually think these things out- they just come up with the most radically insane, overton window-shifting policies to "own da libz"- and then the dog catches the car, a majority of the country hates it, and now they're stuck with a bunch of angry/motivated voters on the other side while they have no actual plan/agenda.

see- dobbs

mta_2_train said:
I wonder how they will ban porn? Like, almost half of the internet is porn

Probably either omnibus "a dozen popular things mixed in with the few unpopular things they actually want, take it all or leave it all" or rapid fire and hope it slips in through fatigue. Seen a few things up here in Canada work like that, but never really a popular look (Even though not unpopular enough to get the practice banned 🙄).