Feathers are one of the epidermal growths that form the distinctive outer covering, or plumage, on birds, gryphons and some theropod dinosaurs. They are considered the most complex integumentary structures found in vertebrates, and indeed a premier example of a complex evolutionary novelty. They are among the characteristics that distinguish the extant Birds from other living groups. Feathers have also been noticed in those Theropoda which have been termed feathered dinosaurs. Although feathers cover most parts of the body of birds, they arise only from certain well-defined tracts on the skin. They aid in flight, thermal insulation, waterproofing and coloration that helps in communication and protection.
Tags About Feathers
- body - A fallback for when the body texture is difficult to decipher.
- exoskeleton - An external skeleton often made of chitin, seen in insects and crustaceans.
- feathers - A complex texture, seen in birds, and most gryphons. Often applied to wings of such species.
- fur - A furry texture, seen in most mammals. Even a single tuft will influence this.
- scales - A squamous texture, seen in reptiles, scalies, and most dragons.
- skin - A smooth texture, seen in humans, dolphins, and amphibians.
The following tags implicate this tag: feathered_dragon, feathered_wings, tail_feathers, black_feathers, blue_feathers, brown_feathers, green_feathers, grey_feathers, orange_feathers, pink_feathers, purple_feathers, red_feathers, white_feathers, yellow_feathers, teal_feathers, tan_feathers, multicolored_feathers, feather_tuft, feather_in_hair, spotted_feathers, striped_feathers, feathered_crest, feather_hair, feathered_snake, feathered_dinosaur, pubic_feathers, glowing_feathers, glistening_feathers, feather_preening, drying_feathers, brushing_feathers, feather_trimming, cosmic_feathers, cream_feathers, cum_on_feathers, detailed_feathers, feather_hands, ruffled_feathers, mottled_feathers, translucent_feathers, wet_feathers, monotone_feathers, feather_growth, peacock_feather (learn more).