Help: Uploading Guidelines
This is a short list of attributes we use to determine whether or not any given upload is fit for e621. Please note that the moderation team ultimately has the last word on this and that those guidelines do not encompass every possible upload.
Any submission before 2015 has been grandfathered in and does not need to reflect our current or future guidelines. In fact, there is a substantial amount of old art that would be deleted under the current guidelines, the existence of those old submissions do not validate or invalidate anything on this list.
Table of contents:
- Any art or animations that are relevant to "furries", i.e. contain anthropomorphic characters or animals
- Art you have created or commissioned
- Art the original artist has given you permission to post here
- High quality photographs (or scans) of traditional, drawn artwork on a paper canvas
- Photo edits/manipulations are also okay as long as they're high quality
- Image sets are allowed as long as they have an overarching story (i.e. comic) or otherwise a natural progression (i.e. transformation sequences) connecting the images
- Webcomics are allowed as long as not the entire comic is mirrored here, meaning only up to a maximum of 5 pages total.
- As a webcomic counts any comic that is exclusively hosted on their own page, exclusively hosted on a webcomic host, or monetized through ads.
- Image sets where a single "base" is reused multiple times with only minor edits (and no story or natural progression) are not allowed.
- Small excerpts (up to 5 at a time) are okay, though.
- Screen captures: Screenshots from games, still images from movies, video snippets from youtube, etc. etc
- This includes all content created in sandboxes like Second Life, Minecraft, and similar
- This also includes all ripped image files from visual novels and similar games.
- Memes / Image macros: Anything that is an (existing) image with some text slapped over it
- Exception: If the image has been drawn specifically for that particular meme then it's okay
- Small images: Anything below 200px in either direction is likely to get deleted
- Advertisements: Low quality ads or ads without artistic value
- If the image has only a small part of it advertising something (like a footer with the patreon link) then it is very much welcome here
- Adoptables/character auctions, YCH auctions, or any other types ads for auctions are not permitted
- Irrelevant photographs: Any photograph that isn't of traditional artwork or manipulated to contain furry characters.
- photos of fursuits, statues, plushies, dakimakura, tattos, graffiti, painted plates, etc. are all irrelevant to us
- Low quality submissions: Highly visible artifacts, scribbles, low-quality photographs of traditional media (invest into a scanner, people!), 1000h in MSPaint images, computer generated mosaics, cropped images, anatomical diagrams, bad edits, screenshots, artificial upscales, etc. etc.
- artificial upscales include anything like "normal" upscaling, waifu2x, neural network upscales, and similar
- sensible integer upscaling with nearest neighbor (aka without smoothing filters) is permitted for pixel artwork that would otherwise be too small to see well
- Images with 3rd party watermarks (think iFunny, 9gag, etc.)
- Previously deleted content
- DNP Content:
- Anything created by an artist or publisher on our DNP-List *
- If you have special permission to post something from an artist that is on our DNP list then please provide us with proof of said permission.
- Pay Content (Patreon, art CDs, art packs sold through PayPal, etc. etc.) *
- Real-Life pornography. No exceptions *
- Traced images *
- Referencing from something is fine, it just can't be a carbon copy
- All submissions need to display a solid grasp of artistic principles
- All submissions need to be presented in a legible / readable format
- the chosen medium (image, video, flash) needs to be of a high quality
- traditional media needs to be either scanned in properly or photographed with impeccable lighting and contrast
If you wish to ensure to upload the best version possible have a look at our How To: Sites and Sources page. Helpful users list all the known tips and tricks on how to get the best version from every page.
- edits of images need to be at least on the same level of quality as the original
- low effort edits (adding stories, changing text, bucket fill coloring, cutting out parts, etc) are not allowed
- Translating speech bubbles from any language into english is permitted, however.
- We only accept an english translation and the original language, we will not host additional translations
- Coloring "bases" (template images) are not permitted if they haven't been performed by the original artist of the base
- we will only accept up to 5 versions of any given base
If you feel an image of yours has been deleted unfairly do not hesitate to contact us and ask for clarification.
Pure1 humans are only allowed as long as they are part of an otherwise furry centric image. If a page, or an image, of an otherwise furry centric comic contains only humans then those pages will also be kept to keep the comic complete.
- Anything that does not contain anthropomorphic characters or animals as part of their focus will be deleted
- If it appears like a human it counts as a human, regardless of what in-universe lore specifies
- The things that make humans not-human under our rules are visible, anatomical deviations from the standard human
- Examples are the presence of animal body parts (dog ears, cat tail, pig snout, horse penis, etc), alien body parts, plant body parts, etc
- This means that orcs, elves, plant-people, humanoid aliens, are all fine
- a different skin color does not make a human relevant
- costumes, clothes, accessories, etc. do not make a human relevant
Acceptable advertisements are those with artistic and entertainment value that far outweigh their nature to sell goods or services. Advertisements that only advertise goods and services are not acceptable and the uploader or artist will need to purchase advertisement space here instead.
- 'Your Character Here' auctions, censored patreon images, or other censored paysite previews are almost always unacceptable, thus expect these to get deleted
- advertising your patreon or paysite in form of a signature on any given image is perfectly fine
- advertising your patreon or paysite in the description of art you have created / commissioned is also perfectly fine